My new rack and aux. fuel tank

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by racerx64, Apr 13, 2009.

1. racerx64 Husqvarna
    A Class

I am planning on taking a 1300 mile trip on my te610 next month and I am not sure about my fuel range and availability. I looked around for some kind of fuel storage solution and couldn't find anything I like so I decided to make my own.
    I fabricated a rack on a waterjet machine and a new rack support, I have heard about the stock ones braking. I also tied my rack into the side panel bolts to take some of the load off of the subframe extensions. Even if there was a bigger fuel tank available for an injected te610 I am not sure i would want to ride around with it all the time, I like the idea that my auxillary tank can be removed in a few seconds with no tools.
    I am in the Race car building business and it is kind of slow with the bad economy and all, so I am thinking about making a bunch of dirt bike accessories and trying to sell them. The final versions would be powder coated and the tank would probably be simpler.
    Let me know what you guys think. The tank holds 1 gallon.

Thanks........Todd

Here is my rack. This is my first version, IT is pretty light but the next one will be evan lighter.[IMG]
    Here is the fuel tank. It is designed to work with my Dirtbaz.[IMG]
    Here is it loaded with my tent and Dirtbagz.[IMG]
    DCrider likes this.
  2. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Looks pretty good. Nice fab job.:thumbsup:
  3. Nice.

How much for the rack?

I also think making the fuel tank simpler would be a good refinement & I'd be interested. Perhaps cutting the drop sections would be an option for making it simpler.

I've been researching fabrication of an aux tank to fit on the right side, very similar to a Meca Systems rally tank (aluminum), Neduro's Adventure Tank for the 9xx series KTMs (left side, plastic) and similar to 1/2 of the Acerbis tank for the Honda BRP (also plastic but a true rally tank that wraps over the rear of the bike). I haven't gotten any fire despite trying to spark some collaboration here in the Colorado Springs area.

So, I've been sorta giving up and going with the idea of a nice rack + an Acerbis number plate tank. Adds a gallon and that should be good for me plus it keeps the weight balanced.

Nonetheless, very nice welds.
  4. Hopefully you can beat Promoto Billet's RIDICULOUS price for their rack.
  5. RumRunner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 450
    :thumbsup: Looks good!
  6. racerx64 Husqvarna
    A Class

Nothingclever I don't have any idea how much the rack would sell for yet. Right now I am just trying out some ideas. I have seen some of the tanks that go on the right side of the Ktm's and had thought about making something like that. The dirtbagz rack would interfere some, I could incorporate it into the tank but I don't really want to make a tank that relies on someone else's product. If you were using something like the Giant loop bags the right side tank would probably work pretty good. Let me see what you had in mind.

Thanks.....Todd
  7. Yeah, I have the DirtBagz also and was thinking of a u-shaped divot in the tank to accomodate the DirtBagz support bar.

However, I'm gravitating more to the idea of a flat tank on a rack because of better balance.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    A few things as we (Motosportz) already offer a rack. The subframe can only handle so much weight before the tabs snap off. The tank looks like it might get really hot, people melt blinkers off and aluminum loves heat. I think you would need to modify the tank or the muffler outlet to make that work. Also if you lay the bike down with that one mounting bolt and the wings sticking out you might have some canage. Just something to think about.

I have used our rack and the Acerbis front number plate tank A number of times. Only good for .8 or 1.3 gallons but very resistant to damage.
  9. racerx64 Husqvarna
    A Class

I have seen your rack and it looks very nice. I appreciate your comments, that is what I put this post up for, to get some ideas. I bought my Trailtech x2 from you.

You can't see it but i made a new steel frame that goes under the stock fender to replace the wimpy stock one, that with the side wings does the same thing yours does to stiffen the subframe, i just took a different approach. I agree that with the stock aluminum pc. under the fender it would bend in a crash. The wings are tucked in very tight and the rack is narrower than the fender and the same width as the stock subframe. This rack is only a prototype ,I will change it as needed. I have thought about making a whole new chromoly subframe, but that would be pretty expensive .

I shortened my muffler 3 1/2" when I removed the cat and it is not even close to the fuel tank, my turn signals are not melted at all. This tank is for my bike only. The ones would I build for sale would probably be shaped like the numberplate tank. The tank is made from .090 aluminum and you might dent it in a crash but I think it is more puncture resistant than plastic.

Thanks for your response.......Todd

UPS just delivered my Motosportz rad. guards and front axle nut. Thanks again.
  10. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I stumbled across these images in an unrelated google search. I thought I'd re-post 'em after photobucket's lame move for future readers. The OP has not been around since 2013.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  11. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I felt the same way about a big safari tank so I did a rotopax on the rear rack on my SWM. Well you guessed it the rear end broke with only 4 litres of fuel on board.
    Fixed under warranty.
    Got the Safari and I must say it is a great bit of gear.
    It is no wider than the stocker and goes lower thereby lowering the centre of gravity. Would have preferred a 20 litre version c/w the 25 litre available. What I do for short trips is only fill up to say 2/3rds.
    The quality is great, fortunately for me the Safari factory is only 40 minutes away so they also fitted it for me. Great product, great people to do business with.

By the way the tank you cobbled on the rear looks like a great bit of engineering so well done Trenchcoat.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  12. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I wish I could weld aluminum; but that ain't me.

actually, this thread was over a year before my join date (8+ years ago). I just happened to stumble across the images in an unrelated google search. Since PhotoBucket pulled their bone-head move last June, when I see archived images that are now missing on (important) CH threads, I grab 'em and re-post them.

I encourage everybody else to do the same, too
  13. al jorgensen My first motorized vehicle had a Husky engine

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630, 610, WXE 610, TE 450, WXE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mostly Italian Stuff
    I have yet to mount the Safari Tank I bought new a little over a year ago, instead I have played around with a 1 gallon Rotopax on the (reinforced) rack which works for medium length trip (Nevada). I guess I have read to many horror stories about the fuel pump seal on the Safari leaking but it seems that may be history?
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  14. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I have a safari on my SWM. dropped the bike to avaoid a wallaby at circa 80kms tank got a slight rough up on the bottom LHS-not really visible and structurally sound as. The tank is going very well and is not really noticeable on handling as the increased capacity/weight is down low. No issues with seals. Best thing I did as I have dispensed with the rotopax and it give me more capacity for luggage. Note: you dont have to fill them up if you are doing short trips.
  15. al jorgensen My first motorized vehicle had a Husky engine

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630, 610, WXE 610, TE 450, WXE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mostly Italian Stuff
    Thanks, so now I just have to find a painter to `beautify` the tank before putting it on. The irony is that I was not crazy about the look of the bike when I got it last year (2010 TE 630 i.e.) but it has grown on me and the Safari is not `pretty` by any means :-)