1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

My Husky Is But A Decoration

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by DeadRider, Jul 31, 2020.

1. DeadRider Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR510 (08)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hypermotard 798, AJS Goldstar
    Hi,
    Please, oh please, oh please can anyone help a numpty with his huskiiiii

2008 SMR510.
    I have recently rebuilt the engine (far from an engineer, just like to know the things I have inside and out, and make sure previous owners have looked after things. (nerdy maybe:thinking: )

Issue is: Can manually turn over the engine but only two rotations before the engine comes to a solid stop. I have removed the starter motor and found this also happens when turing it over in reverse, two full turns then stop.

I know this is something I have done but have no idea who, what or where to start looking. I will be pulling the engine out of the frame again this weekend but hoped someone may have an idea of what causes this.
    Not being an engineer I'm learning engines as I go, I have just worked through the manual putting all the bits back in and making sure the torque settings are right etc.
  2. Sjiefke Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510 SMR '10
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX6R '07
    Sounds like there is something wrong with your valve timing, The in- or outlet valves are probably not closed in TDC and hitting the piston. Are your cams and timing chain installed and timed correctly?
  3. DeadRider Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR510 (08)
    Other Motorcycles:
    I thought I had set it correctly but is my first time so maybe.......

I will pull the valve cover off over the weekend and start with that. should be quite a simple fix if that is all it is.
    Thank you for the reply, I now at least have a place to start :)
    WoodsChick and Sjiefke like this.
  4. DeadRider Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR510 (08)
    Other Motorcycles:
    @ Sjiefke

I do not think I could get the timing so far out of sync if I tried. Pulled the valve cover off, removed the spark plug and with a nice little reach around was able to turn her over while looking deep into hole. Valves down not alloing full up stroke of the piston :doh:

I think this was when I was trying to fit the water pump first time around, need another 3 hands to hold chain, cogs and insert the waterpump.

Next isse is chain tensioner, I am finding so many bolts that have been heli-coiled on this bike "I HATE HELI COIL"
    Having to wait for a replacement which is slowing down my progress.

Thank you again for your guidance, fingers crossed this is the only bit I have screwed up, I really do not want to split the cases again just yet.
    WoodsChick likes this.
  5. Sjiefke Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510 SMR '10
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX6R '07
    Glad I could help. Thankfully you tried to turn the engine before actually starting it. It could have caused a lot of damage.

Good luck with the rest...!
    WoodsChick likes this.
  6. DeadRider Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR510 (08)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Was for sure the timing, now it sounds like a bag of bolts.
    Firerd her up, runs nice and smooth but you need you fingers to be in the ears as it has a metal knocking sound that is louder than the Arrow exhaust.

I was all excited for a weekend ride out, looks like it is coming aprt again so I can figure out what I have missed. I cant even tell if the sound is coming from the top or bottom at this point.

Almost but no cigar. Will update up all if I ever get this thing going again. Than goodness for Government lock downs, means i dont travel for work so can spend more time each evening pulling the bugger apart :)
    Sjiefke and WoodsChick like this.
  7. Sjiefke Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510 SMR '10
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX6R '07
    *Curious* Any updates? *Curious*