1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Muffler-to-headpipe disassembly

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Marc Noel, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Marc Noel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    To all my Husky brethren out there...

I swapped over to a smaller muffler on my '11 TE 449, which required a custom joint connection. The muffler has some leaks in it from the factory, so I want to remove it, then put on a new one, and I will seal up the old one later. Unfortunately, in my pursuit of trying to fix the leaks, I have used muffler cement, and it has worked in the one place where it was unnecessary. I can't get the seal to break. I tried using a propane torch today, but the thing won't budge. I am going to try MAPP gas instead, with its higher heat output. Does anyone know how to deactivate (?) muffler cement? Searching on-line only gives me results as to how to use the sealant, not remove it. I would prefer not to hammer on the thing, as I don't want to damage it. I already wrecked the first replacement muffler by driving a screwdriver in between the inner and outer sections, in order to separate them. While I did get it apart, I deformed the metal to the point where it leaked like a sieve afterward, so I just got a new muffler instead (which also leaked). Now I have a third muffler which LOOKS sealed, but I can't get the other one off to switch them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marc
  2. Marc Noel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Never mind. I got it apart. Thanks anyway.
  3. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    Good to hear.

I assume lots of wriggling and swearing (that's what I would've suggested).
  4. Marc Noel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Mapp torch until the joint was glowing orange. Still wouldn't budge. I ended up hammering the stupid thing off, and wrecked the end cap in the process. Luckily, I had a new THIRD muffler to replace the destroyed unit. All of this was because I tried to seal some exhaust leaks. I have learned not to use anything stronger than Ultra Copper next time, so that I can still disassemble. If it leaks, TOO BAD.