MPG is low

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Andrew P, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Currently getting high 40’s mpg. That seems low? I do ride pretty hard on the throttle most of the time and cruise 75-80mph on hwy. I live in San Diego, CA so I’m sure that doesn’t help withhe crappy blends I hear about.
  2. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    If it makes you feel any better I have had numerous tanks in the upper 40's, particularly when commuting and I dont run that fast most of the time.
    Touring/on trips it tends to run in the low 50's.
    My average since I bought the bike in 2013 is 49.54, max is 58.17
  3. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Yeah gotcha, it was a lot higher when I had a long highway commute. More city riding now.
  4. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Which "Gallon" are we talking about here lol?. L/100km is so much easier:)
  5. Masterpotter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R27, R100, R1200gs,DT1,
    I have tracked my mpg since new and now have 15000 miles . My total mpg avg. is 58.86. I run one tooth less on the counter shaft. Lowest is 48 and highest was 71. Mostly day rides and a few over nights in the east however I have done 3 trips in Washington , Idaho .Co Utah, these were 10 day-ish gravel road trips. We have 3 TR650s in the group and this seems about the same across all the bikes.
    No real change in milage with any mods . All the bikes have the Pod mod, No change with the re-flash.
    nev.. likes this.
  6. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

I concur. I have a Terra with the podmod and 21000 miles ridden since new. Occasionally get a Low around 64mpg and high around 53mpg (usually when running with or against a headwind) but most of the time my mileage is around 59mpg, and that 59mpg seems to remain fairly constant regardless whether it's rolling down a hwy at 65mph or putting along backroads at 40mph. (and although I live in a large city, almost none of my riding is in city traffic as I live on the urban fringe).
  7. nycrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, Suzuki DR650
    I was getting around 38-40 mpg strictly riding in NYC. It was like 55 mpg on the highway.
  8. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    There it is. Turns out the faster you go the worse fuel economy gets. While this chart is noted for cars--same thing for motorcycles. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.jsp

Go slower, gear down the front tooth, and/or work on the aerodynamics if you want better mpg. Or fuel up more. ;)

I'll add that the TR650 is worse at higher speeds than other motorcycles. If I'm cruising day-after-day with my friend on a GS800 we're getting within 1-2 mpg of each other when we're doing 55-60. Bump up to 75-80 and I get 5 mpg less-probably due to higher RPM that the thumper 650 is not as fond of.
  9. Gibster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '84 XR350R
    I was getting 56 mpg with a booster plug installed before the recall was done. I'm now getting about 54 mpg after the recall. Well worth the 2mpg, the bike runs the way it should have when I bought it. Best was 64 mpg, never under 50. So, has anybody connected their booster plug up after the recall?