1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Monoshock swingarm axle alignment

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Krudd, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Started to put together my 89B 510TE but I can't get the swingarm axle through.
    It doesn't align at all.. I've got two 89B frames and they both look like this.
    I'm guessing this might be a common problem? So does anyone know how to fix it?

1a.jpg

DSC_0184.JPG

DSC_0185.JPG
  2. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    That's some serious movement. I guess leaving the pivot axle out over a long time can lead to some distortion.
    I never seen a post or question of this nature. I own 1 and had it part for service alot and no wear or miss alignment.
    In the groups i moderate i read and look at mega and would remember this weird circumstance.

I will use the pics and see if this happened to others for my own curoristy.
    Krudd likes this.
  3. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    My first thought with two frames the same is making sure the axle itself isn't bent?
    DeathFromAbove likes this.
  4. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Good thought but the axle is brand new and straight..
    One of the frames is a wee bit better, but the one that has road legal registration is the worse.

None of them have any real dents underneath the frame rails so there's no damage affecting it either .
    Maybe I'll have to cut a small wedge or just a slot and line the holes up with the axle in and have it tig-welded up again.

DSC_0185b.jpg
  5. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    It looks like some twisting of the frame.

Attached Files:

6. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    I would get the engine and swing arm in there before i decided to try fix anything . Make sure you are heading in the right direction
  7. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    This area is a design weakness. Look at the improvements made when the line continued in the Italian bikes for the next approx 10 years.

I have posted this before. I found that the hardened races (4) for the swingarm and the inserts in the cases would accommodate an axle a few thousands of an inch larger. Not sure about the new replacements at this point. Had a few axles made up with only the original diameter at the threads. Threads on both ends unlike picture. Did not have the alignment issue here but those holes get somewhat larger than original.

I would try and bend the outer support or just force it in. Or just weld it will pull do not cut like shown. The tube arrangement under the engine changed from 85 to 88 in the frames I had to examine, probably still have a few indicating the design defect noted here. I thought the 88 or 87 had the most support for those outer holes. I also thought the 87-88 linkage might put less stresses in that area.
  8. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Thanks for all suggestions and thoughts. I can't measure any twisting of the frame where you have marked DFA, it seems the outer plates are twisted though.
    Axle holes are spot on 14mm for both outer holes on both frames. The inner ones are slightly over at 14 to 14.5mm.
    Maybe I can heat and bend the outer support some. It wouldn't need much, just a couple of mm I guess.
  9. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I agree with Frank, I would not cut the frame. If you put a small dowel thru the holes and snap a pic that might help use see what's going on. After rechecking you first pic i think the inside sections i pointed at are probably the culprit. I don't see the outer pieces getting bent. The middle pieces are doing most of the work.
  10. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I looked threw the site and found a build by Daftmate and stole his pics ( Thank you Daftmate!!:cheers: ) as I've never seen this frame and the pics are too close to get a feel for the geometry. After looking at his pics I can't see how the holes do not align without something being bent. Like Mark said, you have a new axle, why wheres the old one? Unless your lower frame is bent from some gnarly jumping to bring the outside ears rearward.:eek: I must have taken some work to get that axle out!:excuseme:

Attached Files:

11. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Thanks for your input. The bike, and extra frame, was bought in bits and I have no history what has happened to them previously
    other than that the frame with less misalignment was ridden but taken apart due to engine failure.
    There was no axle with any of the frames. I'll have to measure more accurate and compare the frames to see if I can find anything.
  12. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    I had quite a few of the early Husky single shocks and never saw that before
    makes you really wonder what happened, could have been a very aggressive bottom out
    but not being a witness we will probably just have to guess
  13. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    It feels good to finally get to post a solution and not only questions and moaning.. :D

I got help from a friend and a "tool of persuasion", and we managed to persuade the swingarm bracket in line. Now I can easily pass the axle through all four holes.
    This was on the one frame that had the least misalignment. The other frame may need some heat added to the brackets also. At least I can start reassembly, again!

We made a looong bar. Still took a bit of effort.. Strong steel in the frame I guess.
    bb1.jpg

Fastened on both sides of the bracket.
    bb2.jpg

Soon I'll be able to put the engine back in. :)
    DSC_0257.JPG