Mods for a new TE449

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by ChiefBigCope, Sep 23, 2014.

1. ChiefBigCope Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 R6
    Alright, well I just bought a brand new TE449 with 0 miles on it with the intention of converting into a supermoto! Only question is, what to do first? Any suggestions?
  2. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Congrats...change the oil to mobil 1 0-w40, take smog junk off, fmf slip on, map 3, i went through warp 9 for super moto stuff, 40 t rear sprocket. michelin pilot power tires, got 2600 miles out of rear still on same front tire. I had to cut rear fender piece off for a cleaner look, ride the piss out of her....change oil frequently, like 300 to 500 miles and run the highest octane you can buy at the pump...enjoy
  3. teuchter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC449 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    ZX6R track bike
    Following from above, if you plan on racing/ hard riding, the stock warp 9 front brake rotor is inadequate even with the stock brake caliper. If you're only planning on street riding it's probably OK at best.

My Buddy has a CRF450R that he races and he bought the warp 9 setup but upgraded the front brake rotor before the first race.
  4. ChiefBigCope Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 R6
    As far as the "smog junk" what does that entail? I would like it a little louder until I can get me an fmf. Also the map 3, does that just requires me to hook up the plug under the seat?
  5. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Smog junk is the black canister on the side of the motor. 2 hoses go to it, one from the tank you can run towards the rear of bike that's the air breather for gas tank the other unhook from side of motor and cap it off. I just bought fmf you can take the end out of stock can but doesn't make any real difference. Map 3 is awesome, your dealer can load it or send it to Ziptyracing, cheap but we'll worth it. No the jumper plug under the seat eliminates the O2 sensor puts you in map 2. Map 3 has to be downloaded on ecu.
  6. ChiefBigCope Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 R6
    Thanks, one last annoying question. How tight, how much movement, should the chain have? I have probably 3/4- an inch of travel and think its a bit loose for a road bike. Am I crazy or is it off?
  7. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not much slack, i cant remember the exact tension but its like 5mm not much which is crazy. Its not like a normal bike i usually leave 1/4 inch or so. someone on here knows the exact tension im sure.
  8. 12NengPSG Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    With the location of the front sprocket and the swing arm pivot, there isn't tightening of the chain with compression of the rear suspension. Essentialy, your chain tension stays the same throughout the suspension travel so the setting is tighter. I believe 4-5mm of play.
  9. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    5mm I'm pretty sure the spec is.
    Like you said the chain tension pretty much remains constant with our cts setup.