Mobius Knee Braces, info feedback inmates?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by robertaccio, Jul 10, 2018.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    In the distant past (old school) I went from the typical standard knee pads to many years that I used Asterisk product for a couple or more of rebuilds, then I went to Pod MX carbon for some years but finally killed them, then went back to relatively standard Thor MX hinged semi support knee pads.
    I am thinking about going full knee brace again as I push into the age 60 zone....Mobius is top of the list. Any info and feedback from this crew would be great, I do have 2 of my local crew with them, one who has good knees anyway (but a bum back) the other had some knee issues from mil service time, and he actually blew his knee way out while wearing his Mobius braces. There is never a completely foolproof injury avoidance option.
    Story of that for your info is high speed in Baja on a hard stone infested dirt road with his FE501 over a rise and a slight miscue on landing and threw his foot out automatically and spun his foot around. No crash- he settled back into the seat and knew all ligaments were done from pain and sloppiness then massive swelling. He has been off dirt bikes for almost a year, just started riding his 1090R.
  2. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    I have been on the Mobius for about a year now.
    1. Great Support!
    2. Great Fit.
    3. Coming from just knee guards, they are very warm! I have ridden with and without sleeves underneath. Since they are solid plastic on the front, and I wear a padded compression short under my pants, I basically have VERY limited air flow on my entire lower body. Very difficult to contend with in high temps and race conditions.
    4. I find that they do push my knees out a little wider than when I was just using guards. Basically they push against the tank, so it does rotate my toes slightly outward while riding in a seated position.

So would I buy them again. Yes, I just wish they were a bit more slim on the inside of the leg, and had more breathability.
    robertaccio likes this.
  3. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01 WR360_02 WR250_12 WB165_17 FC350
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Go Mobius.
    I've gone from EVS carbon fiber, to POD K4, and now Mobius.
    If your riding partner got hurt in the Mobius braces, I'd say he's in better shape than had he been wearing anything else. The fit is much slimmer than either of the other braces for me. Sure they are bulkier than knee guards, any brace would be. No revelation there.

The fit is great and they stay in place without over tightening the straps.
    robertaccio likes this.
  4. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I'll relay a short story that happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I used the original asterisk cell for many years. then upgraded to the ultra cell. It turned out to be too bulky and would tear the liner of my pants when pulling them up. So I went back with a new set of updated cells (with the velcro straps). I was doing an organized desert ride in Nevada a couple of weeks ago. This was only my second time in the desert. I was hauling down a two track jeep trail (2 wheel ruts with grass in the middle) probably 4th gear wide open and hit some whoops. I bounced off the trail into some basketball sized rocks and I wadded pretty bad.While tumbling I hit my knee on a rock. The brace that goes across the top just above the knee cap took the impact. I had a charlie horse and deep tissue contusion like I've never had in my life. I have no doubt that if that brace hadn't dissapated the impact it would have broken my leg. I still have a knot in my muscle above my knee cap. So I think any brace is better than no brace, but the fact that the asterisk is a little thicker in construction saved my ass, or my knee.

I think I'll stick to forest trail riding from now on, but I'll always wear braces.
    robertaccio likes this.
  5. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The Asterisk looks like it has good patella protection. The Mobius is considerably more protective than the EVS & the PODs and maybe double the patella protection of the Asterisk.
    Sounds like you dodged a big bullet wearing yours!
    Another thing about the Mobius, is that you get two sets of inner pads, one set thicker and one set thinner, for dialing in the fit. Excellent quality. The straps are wide and well padded, too.
    I'm just a happy customer I guess.
  6. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I was actually considering the mobius for my next set of braces. I was only commenting about the asterisk because the frame and cuff is about 1/4" thick where my impact was. If I hit on the thin patella guard I think it would have been a different story. I think the mobius may have better protection for the knee joint itself
  7. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I hear you. If it's thin like the EVS and POD, you'll be shocked at the protection of the Mobius.
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    as stated these things are not only good for the twisting stuff and hyper extension but also for the impact stuff. I broke my pod MX carbon fiber brace from an impact with a log on the side of the trail during a race. it was one of those hidden in tall grass things at the edge of the almost invisible single track. slammed just under the knee and broke the carbon fiber in 2 , i finished the race very uncomfortably with a deep chafe from the shattered ends but with zero injury except some bruising from the impact. That was a hard slammer hit, I promise you, for a no crash impact. without the brace or with a lesser equipment I would think I could have cracked bone for sure.
  9. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    [IMG]
    just got out of a pair of these for the past 8 weeks.
    when i can ride again, i need need to look at moving up from my 661 knee guards.
    could be a while though..
  10. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I have Mobius braces & can not keep the velcro straps tight during a long ride.
    I've been through all the set-up & fitment procedures & in contact with Mobius themselves to no avail.
    I like how comfortable they are & the ease of fitment, however, I personally believe that there are better braces out there for Enduro type riding.

I will say that for MX riding, they would likely stay tight for the period of time it takes to do a moto.
    We ride 4-5 hours often walking hills to assist other riders & short of removing your boots & gear to adjust during the ride, I find the calf straps especially come loose.
  11. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    That is a bummer. Mine stays in place during enduros, or full days on the bike, but does seem to just barely be holding on. Maybe you could unstitch the velcro and switch it out to something more burly, like 3M Dual lock, or even just adding a small snap closure to the existing set up.
    If low profile enough, hopefully would not add a rub point inside the boot!
    Just some ideas.
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    are they simply unhooking? or are your legs changing during the day, mine still pump up and then relax during cycles of various terrain. So I try to find a comfortable setting. this has been on all of my different knee guards and braces
    flyingbob likes this.
  13. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    I have the Leatt C Frames for almost a year and half and really rate them:
    Pros:
    Excellent mobility - they feel heavy but once mounted, can barely notice them (even wore them skiing).
    Actually works - a few accident's saved the knees from a hyper extension.
    Great feel - with no inner leg hinge, you can feel the bike better.
    Adjustable - love how you can adjust the frame to suit your thighs and then lock them in without overly tightening the thigh straps.
    Cons:
    Knee/Kneecap Protector - the thing can snag you pants on the plastics at times and very little absorbation in the plastic cap itself. Solve these by gluing memory foam inside the plastic cap and then attaching a velcro strap from the cap which l can wrap behind the knee and onto the brace.
    Straps - Whlist they work great, you need to insure that the thigh strap is correctly aligned or else it doesn't tighten up as securely. Also, there is a sequence that you do have to follow or face the prospect of continually pulling them up.

Looked as the Mobius but was swayed by the movement of the Leatt's.
  14. Canadaeastktm Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 Husqvarna TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250XCF, Beta 250RR, KTM 350SXF
    Mobius works for some and for others it's not all it's cracked up to be (a little over hyped, especially when people spend the big bucks for them they promote them to justify the cost). I paid very little for mine and just sharing what worked and didn't work for my personal preference with the Mobius braces.
    I actually very rarely use the Mobius, I just use the Thor Force which are between a knee pad and brace and they do most of what the Mobius does with the exception maybe of some hyper flexion/over extension protection offered by the Mobius. Since the Mobius are much bigger and cumbersome then the Thor and cost almost 10 times more I just stick with what's simple and works up to 80% as good as the later.
    My opinion only, there are MANY people that love the Mobius and would highly recommend, I just personally find them overkill and way too big and bulky unless riding MX with big doubles or bigger (which is actually the only place I've used them in the past 2 years of them sitting on the shelf).

Quality - it's okay, already need to re-wire them they are all frayed after only a half season of use
    Fit - it's okay, fit not bad but slide down like anything else whether have long socks or none, wore them many times with either
    Compatibility - My ANSR pants and Thor pants would not come close to fitting these braces, only the Fox 180/360 seem to fit them
    Protection - hard to tell, I would imagine as good or better then any other full-on-brace. have crashed a few times and thankfully didn't hurt knees but have done the same in my Thor Force many more times and had the same protections also thankfully not hurt.
    Comfort - did not like them, very bulky, didn't stay in place any better then cheapo knee pads, and they prevent you from holding the bike well with your legs/knees in my opinion
    Style/Looks - who cares, they go under your pants lol.
    Price - allot
    Service - Mobius wouldn't fix my frayed cables, they said go to the place I bought them online, they also wouldn't fix them. Also wouldn't sent the cable replacement kit so I could do it myself so I have to buy it for $40 at local shop. Thumbs down for standing behind their product.

Anyway, I'm not a hater or putting down the product they are still really nice braces; my personal preference though is the simple but well designed Thor Force which do close to the same job at a fraction of the price, smaller and less cumbersome, and simple design. I might continue to use my Mobius for the less frequent visit to moto track that has the bigger jumps which is only a few times a season rest is all woods riding.
  15. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Haven't had the chance to watch it. This is from a local shop and the guy is a real rider and not just selling stuff. He's pretty selective and just did a FB live thing about these braces. Have really been considering braces lately with some light falls hurting my knees

View: https://youtu.be/dwkOY0od4UA
  16. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I have used custom CTi's for 12 years and really like them. They updated and improved the patella protection a few years ago. A few friends have custom CTi's and a few friends use off the shelf CTi's and like them.
  17. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I make them super tight at the beginning of a ride. Adjusting them up, allowing any stretch to happen in the strap & then adjusting again.
    I've never felt like my 'leg change' during a ride :) my Sidi boots don't become tight or loose....
    Regardless, the lower calf strap in particular, but sometimes the upper thigh strap are more often than not loose after a ride.
    (Still done up, but gone loose)
    Just a 'feature' of the brand as far as I can tell...
    Mobius did send me some replacement straps, but there was no change as the original ones weren't worn.
    I resort to taping them in place with electrical tape :(