1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Mikuni Tx-41 Replacement Options Needed.

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ShadetreeCT, Oct 16, 2022.

1. ShadetreeCT Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rokon, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki,
    Hi all, l took in my coworkers 1985 or 86 250 CR to help him get it running. I need ANY suitable replacement part number.
    He is 59 and geared it low for woods riding. Performance doesn't matter at all so long as it will run again. I can't find any information on the TX-41 it's like it never was manufactured.
    I would prefer a new carb as 37 year old O-rings get hard.

The owner took the carb off years ago and gave it to a guy to clean, that guy broke off the low idle jet inside. Sigh.

About me:
    this is my first husky. I do motor swaps or rebuilds in vintage 2x2s Rokons and will take in an occasional quad or bike to fix for friends. I enjoy it very much and my fee is usally the cost of parts + beer or wine. :)

Thanks for your help,
    Lynn

(the search function says tx-41 is too common or too short and yields me nothing)
  2. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
  3. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Post a pic of the carb and model number. I have heard of Mikuni TM, TMX, VM, RS, and HSR carbs, but never TX. Looks like a chance to learn something new.

It looks like the OEM carb (1986 250CR) is a 38mm according to the Husqvarna parts book.

A good place for carb info and parts is Sudco:

https://www.sudco.com/carburetors.html
    ShadetreeCT likes this.
  4. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sudco are good. I did not see the TX in the Sudco manual. Assumed it was a tmx. Good luck. Or use a VM.
    ShadetreeCT likes this.
  5. ShadetreeCT Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the help.
    I started my parts search at sudco, nothing tx.
    Would a round slide carb would be less expensive? I'm trying my best not spend his money, so far I've had to replace the rotten air intake and air filter.
    received_788377742467875.jpeg received_373952321537938.jpeg
  6. ShadetreeCT Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    He thinks it's an 85 or 86. I poked around the internet without much luck trying to get a vin decoder to nail down the year.
    HUSQVARNA 1 CP 03224
  7. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    ShadetreeCT likes this.
  8. ShadetreeCT Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:

I ordered the mikuni TMX38- S off Amazon and the carb is dwarfed next to tx41. It won't fit the husky air intake either at only 43.75. The tx is 47
    received_2038951196290042.jpeg
    Back to the drawing board.

I found a mikuni identifier website which is somewhat helpful, I'm going to see if I can find more dimensions on the tmx38-18.

https://happywrench.com/mikuni-carburetor-identification/#sub-4

Mikuni_Carburetors-1-min-643x1024-1.png
    My numbers in mm are :
    A 47
    B 100
    C 161.5 ish( veniers dont open wide enough)
    D 62.25

That's my update so far, I haven't looked at the motor vin yet. It's on my list,...
  9. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    I would not bother with the TM series. Just switch it to the VM or round slide 38MM mikuni. All parts/jets/slides etc are far easier to find and usually cheaper. Speaking from personal experience.
    ShadetreeCT and DeathFromAbove like this.
  10. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    the carb was designed and built as ordered for this model bike look for a good used 86 from a Husqvarna as the replacement will probably give up something, the 86 was longer than the 87 carb, the airhorn was reduced in length in 87
    another good reason to get an original, your jetting is generally taken care of, obviously you will need to tune to your environment
    ShadetreeCT and Vinskord like this.
  11. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    2premo has good advice.

There is an original (as came on the bike) used one on ebay as of today 23 Oct 22:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321973387507?hash=item4af71c00f3:g:7WwAAOSwd0BVrH6F&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsDfJsG5ehdAef4eDVMVDl0pK92CBwxKl3seJ7egHIJLMPTovL0PQkQ+pFCWOgCB3PPAZbaXB1lWRpHaPwil9G74eOBr3tjVG8I56/N7r8r12kZjRXirK/8Cxacgx7L+SyLIPmjtTtgV9wI24Pkf1oX/9iS97d4zq7NDeticRZA7iPUiYWks8HMxp9d4Tkvchkoz9fqaYzK3WjVhaWnBYZPkuqyiP8VniP+jNOotoF5RN|tkp:Bk9SR8yMwuWAYQ

Might want to verify with the seller how worn the slide and carb top actually is. If it is just the slide you can use the one out of the carb you already have.

New is $137.00 and up. Probably would need to buy some jets to match the 85 250CR specs on top of that. Your call.
    ShadetreeCT likes this.
  12. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    [IMG]

see how the intake is longer on this one, remember there are a few not all fit, the 250 has a smaller cylinder and can't remember if the intake on the barrel exists
    the 400-430-500 use a shorter intake you will need to mount the intake adaptor and air filter then measure between them to be certain
    stay away from flat slides for slow off road, the VM is VERY jetable, not so much with the flat slides, they are also a little tricky to fine tune
    ShadetreeCT likes this.
  13. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  14. ShadetreeCT Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm wary of buying a used carb off ebay for a few reasons...

1. Galvanic reaction. One seller boasts the carb has been ultrasonic cleaned ( no doubt with the jets installed) Some metals don't pair well with brass and 30 years of time is bad enough without water added to the equation. The low idle jet in this bikes carb stuck and broke 10 years ago, another 10 years passing scares me.

2. O-rings. They are hard, squashed and cracked. There are no rebuild kits available and finding the right sized, ethanol proof O-rings without specs or measures isn't something I want to do. I don't even know where to start looking.

3. Price. Used is almost as much as new with no returns.

4. Jets. Are the jets even stamped and still available? I need to be able to read the jets to buy new ones to tune to my altitude. The last VM carb I bought new and installed required total rejetting. (Thanks to jets-r-us it was easy)
    My other issue with used is the previous owner....not everyone uses their brain or has carb drill bits. I bought a 450 rebel and found the jets will drilled about 10 sizes bigger.
  15. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just a lead, good luck.