1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Mikuni TMX Carbs

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Colin, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Colin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400, PW50
    Does anybody have any experience of setting up a TMX 35mm carb on a '75 250?

Previous owner put it on the bike but not too sure about it. Thinking about changing it for a VM?

Thanks

Colin.
  2. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    No, but I can tell you that I am very well experienced with TMX and TMXX carbs.

You are better off with a VM carb with original specs or someone who did conversion and got carb close, needle and jetting wise.

With the newer carbs, you almost need A/F ratio meter to get starting point.
    Just starting from scratch is going to cost $ and headaches. There are several things you have to figure out to set these carbs up, because they are performance finicky! Thickness of the needle, the slide cut for air mixture, Mikuni uses taper minutes ( which is a pain), then you have to figure where you want the tapers,taper thickness, and taper angles,etc... To adjust powerband. In other words you are shooting in the dark, then try to tune it from there.

VM is going to not be Performmance Finicky, most times they come close and easy to tune from there.

Hope this helps!
    justintendo likes this.
  3. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    TMX is a flat slide and VM is a round slide, this you know
    advantage to a flat slide is quicker throttle response
    advantage to a round slide is better throttle control
    the flat slide was created for motocross, but is way cheaper to build
    do the math if you are a manufacturer making many bikes a year
    back to subject, depends on what you want to do to it
    there are some gurus that have the 3x5 cards with the jetting you are looking for
    justintendo likes this.
  4. Colin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400, PW50
    Thanks guys.
  5. Colin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400, PW50
    Just had a quick measure up and there doesn't seem to be enough space to fit the VM carb in. I'm short of approx. 15mm.

Can anybody tell me what difference it would make reducing the length of the spigot coming out the reed block? I could get some space back from there.

Cheers.
  6. motojason Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 430 CR, 83 250 CR, 82 430 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    KX500, KX250, KX125, FE570, TMEN 300
    Colin, Are you looking to race your bike? I had a similar question about the use of a TMX on my bike a few months ago and was reminded that many race organizations do not allow flat slide carbs. AHRMA does not allow it.
  7. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    What's up with that? I wonder why?
  8. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    They were not available at the time. Period correct flat slide carbs like the Lectron are legal for '75-up bikes in AHRMA but a modern flat or D slide carb like the TMX or Keihin PWK are not legal because they were not available at the time, nor was there anything like them available at the time. Having said that, the Lectron is a far better carb than a TMX or PWK anyway, and the VM is better in my experience than the TMX.
    justintendo likes this.
  9. Colin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400, PW50
    Yeah, I race in the Scottish Classic Championship. Discretion is used in certain areas and with common sense! Let's just say I'm not the type of rider that will benefit from any extra performance a carb will give me!

I've rebuilt the bike for the season and don't want to run a new motor with a carb that I'm not sure about so I've ordered a VM36 and can make it fit.

Cheers
    Col.