1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Mikuni TMR41 float height...

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by 7point62, Apr 24, 2010.

1. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    My '04 TE 450 is in bits (tidying it for the annual UK certificate of roadworthiness and sending the sussy away for revalving) and I can't find the proper float height setting anywhere - no mention in the factory manual, or anywhere on google-land (even though the TMR was used on plenty of Jap multis). It runs like a dream, but I'd like to know... so does anybody know what the proper float height is supposed to be?

Thanks. :)
  2. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
  3. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    I know this is an older thread, but where is the measurement taken from, the top of the bowl down or? I need help.
  4. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    In the good old days, here's how we used to check the float level, use with caution, YMMV:
    Hold the carb up in front of your face with a piece of fuel line connected and in your mouth.
    Blow thru the fuel line as you bring a clear glass or plastic cup fulled 3/4 full with gasoline up around the float. Watch the float rise up as your breath starts getting squeezed off by the rising float needle. On stockers, the level would be just under the where the bowl gasket set up in the carb body, we would always set wayward levels to this.
  5. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    The measurement is from the gasket face that mates with the float bowl to the uppermost part of the float:

[IMG]

(Different carb but exact same principle).

One thing to be aware of is that if the carb is held vertically, like this:

[IMG]

...the weight of the float may compress the spring-loaded pin in the float needle and give a falsely low measurement. So start by holding the carb horizontally with the float pivot at the top, like this:

[IMG]

...and rotate it until the float adjuster tang just pushes the float needle shut:

[IMG]

...then take your measurement. You don't need a vernier btw - a rule will be good enough as the tolerance for float height is usually plus or minus one millimeter.

Hope this helps. :)
  6. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    Cool stuff guys. I remembered after my post how to do it. Old guys stuff setting in I guess. The pictures are worth their weight in gold.

Thanks again

Scott