1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Mikuni or Lectron Carburettor

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Charlie Brown, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Charlie Brown Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1969 Kawasaki Mach 3 Yamaha XJR1300
    Hi all, I'm thinking about changing the Gurtner carburettor on my 1976 WR 360 for either a Mikuni or Lectron. Do these carbs fit straight on the bike or do they require adapters (air intake and fitment to engine). Also, where is best place to specify and buy either from the UK? Thanks, Charlie
  2. Colin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400, PW50
    I've always gone to Allens Performance for carbs in the past. He'll be able to help out with the Mikuni. Afraid I can't say which is best as no experience with the Lectron.
  3. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    If you buy your Lectron through 'Motorsportz' on this site, it will be a perfect fit. He will need the overall length and diameters of the engine and airbox ends.
    You will also need to provide the settings you have already in the Gurtner (although that might be difficult to compare). The stock jetting on a 390 Mikuni is very similar. Just one size down on the pilot and the needle dropped one notch. It will come with a new throttle cable. Be sure to specify your throttle assembly (and the thread in the housing !). The cable will be a wee bit too long, but there is a reason for that.
    There are a few threads on the Café site that talk in great depth about this carb. Send Motorsportz (Kelly) a PM, and he will give you the details.
  4. Dillon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Go with the lectron for the simple fact that you can get to the air screw without taking the airbox off
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    lectrons do not have an air screw..the pilot, air screw, needle, needle jet, and main are all replaced by a metering rod and power jet.
    but yes, you are right, the power jet screw is adjusted easily from the top or either side, and the metering rod from the top after you remove the cap. easily done by tilting the carb to the side..
  6. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    I find that I don't have to shift the carb. The throttle cable is supplied too long and I just lift the top off and the extra length makes it all very workable. Whether this extra length is by accident or design I don't know.
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i could see how on a twin shock air cooled bike the carb could be left in position for sure..just an added bonus of air cooled simplicity!
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Exactly :cheers:
  9. Dillon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sorry, meant as the VM mikunis are a POS to tune if weather changes, as the air fuel screw is tucked behind the airbox... With the lectron its much easier to adjust