1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Metric Fasteners

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Bigbill, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I found a great place online with fast shipping for metric fasteners and all types of fasteners.
    Www.boltdepot.com there affordable too. You can order any amount. I always had those little cabinet draws full of metric fasteners.

I do not use American threaded fasteners on my metric motorcycles. Before when I purchased used bikes I was tired of grabbing my inch tools. If it's metric make it 100% metric.

www.boltdepot.com
    kanur likes this.
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    nothing more annoying than standard fasteners on metric equipment
  3. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Correct when metric fasteners can be purchased so affordable.
  4. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's
    unless you're talking about the shock mounts or triple clamp bolts on the early stuff, they're UNF, kooky!
    Picklito likes this.
  5. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    I've been using Boltdepot for years, great company to deal with!
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I agree, that is kooky. I would like to know what the thinking was behind that. I mean a 10mm bolt is .393" and a 3/8" bolt is .375. Metric stuff is also available in high tensile strength with fine threads. So why not just use 10mm stuff? Do you think it might have been a case of excess inventory from years of manufacturing? After all HVA had been building bikes for decades before the 60's. Its as mysterious as why the Desert Master was built with a CR transmission.
  7. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I spent quite a bit of effort trying to find metric flange nuts with nylon insert at the top. Isn't that going to be up there near the top of things one might want.
    In motorcycle sizes I do not mind replacing 8mm with 5/16 or the other way around.

other
    16mm vs 5/8
    20 vs 3/4
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    19mm is the same as 3/4...also 14mm is close to 9/16.....11mm is 7/16..
    but hey its your bike..swap standard on it if you like..uugghh...just cause the wrench fits..
    flanged nylok metric nuts are on ebay even..
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-M6-1-0-o...-Lock-Nut-Nylon-Insert-DIN-6926-/161117131647

there are tons of listings on there..some are a bit taller, more like the originals..i ordered a bag of 100 in a few sizes..no need for standard
  9. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
  10. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    6m x 1
    8m x 1.25 will work
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I keep the metric bikes all metric. I hate using two different sets of wrenches plus the metric fasteners are so affordable.
    It's a cardnal sin not to keep them all metric. I'm a purist.
  12. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Don't write off your local bolt shop (not Fastenal). Most mid-to-large cities with any sort of industry have one or more.
    Out here in Washington we've got a place called Hi Strength Bolt. They're mostly a walk-in, but you could look them up and give them a call if you're looking for metric flange nuts, they have them by the piece or the box. I can get all of the M6, M8 flange nuts I want, at a decent price, and same day!

0121161933.jpg
    (for clarity the fine thread M10's in the photo are from husqvarna-parts, not Hi Strength).

There are 'non-automotive' and 'automotive' bolt shops. I've even seen them next to one-another. The big bolt shop that everyone is familiar with around here (Tacoma Screw) is non-automotive. Hi Strength Bolt, although smaller and less well known, is substantially more likely to have the nuts and bolts I need. Tacoma Screw actually sent me to them.
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Industrial fastener supply houses. Or McMaster Carr online.

Our local industrial supply houses are becoming less and less because all the industrial manufacturing has either closed up or moved out of the state because of high taxes there being driven out. The engineering group I worked for developed products here to be manufactured over seas. It's a tough market no matter which one were in.

I stock up on metric fasteners in those tiny plastic draws from Amazon.com
  14. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I used to get my metric fasteners from Tractor Supply until they restructured inventory maintaining less stock. I got very upset going there to get 4 metric nuts and only finding one. I could check on Tuesday when they get restocked but by the time I get there after work they could be sold out again. Now I try my hardware store first and then go through an industrial supplier convenient to my place of work.
  15. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    im fortunate to have a pretty good hardware store in my small town, that stock all sorts of metric hardware..i just order a few special things like the flanged nylock nuts. they keep everything in stainless and/or allen as well..
  16. rwgregory Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 500XC, 1987 510TX, 1990 510WMX
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 Honda CR250,'88 CR500,'92 XR600
    When I have needed oddball specialty fasteners I have had good luck with Grainger. Recently I needed some metric deformed thread flange lock nuts and got hold of Grainger's research dept. on the phone. They went after that like a dog on a raw steak and called me back the next day with 3 different options. I had a bag of 50 shipped to my front door within about 3 days.
    justintendo likes this.
  17. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    What about replating the originals? Anybody have a good shop? I'd ship mine out if necessary. It'd be heavy and expensive, but that's what Kalifornia is all about.
  18. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Twenty plus years ago I had Alumin-art Plating in Ontario Ca. plate a bunch of fasteners and spokes in clear zinc and what I still have today still looks great. Last year a friend of mine got pricing from them and felt they were to high. I don't recall what he was looking to have done. In the past five years I've had Van Nuys Plating and AC Plating, which are closer to where I now live, do some plating and the quality was unsatisfactory, would not recommend either of them.

I have found that some places are set up only for large production runs making the price for a small run high but if quality and turn around time is excellent then it may be worth it for someone who can afford it.
  19. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I have done both. Replating and purchasing new.

This is what I’m doing now. Anything major (axles, kicker, brake lever, large nuts for axles, shock eyes,etc..... I just remove any bushings and bead blast everything clean and wire wheel it. Cuts cost, and have them re plate in chrome or zinc.

Then for rest of stuff just buy new. I use McMaster Carr, Bel Metric, Fastenal, Rural King, Tractor Supply, etc......

My preference is McMaster, because they have everything and will even cut stuff down to size. Couple metal places only want to sell me stuff in 8,10,12 lengths. I order by 3:00pm and it is delivered next day. My card that was on file with them expired. They sent me the order any way and following day they sent me to update the payment method because it expired. They could of very well, held the order. They are building a huge facility around Cleveland Ohio to expand again. Again, you want to make a new brake rod. Then order 3ft of stainless 6mm rod. Cut it to size, thread and buy a clevis for the end.
  20. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    I do need to make a brake rod!