Merge Racing ALJ

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Motosportz, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    A while back though a nice referral via Bryan (one of the owners of TT) Merge racing contacted me and wanted me to try out some of their carb parts on the husky. Today while doing some needed maintenance I figured I dive right in. While my bike runs near perfect I am always interested in something new to try. Also I have notice rich running and slightly slow response of the bottom.

I pulled the carb off my bike, cleaned it all up and installed the adjustable leak jet ALJ. I did experience some installation drama. There are quite a few changes to make including removing a pressed in check ball and drilling a hole in the carb. They give you a positioning plate and drill to do the job. I set it up right and used my drill press but just ast the drill started to break through into the bowl it snapped off. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH I was able to take another drill bit and use it like a punch and drive it through. Scary moment. All the rest went together pretty good. I this point I was like "I hope this works as there is no going back"

Got it all back together and ripped it around the house some. It does work. I can dial it up to where the bike runs like crap and then back to nice and snappy. I will reserve any opinions until after tomorrows ride.

Pix...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Also installed their fuel screw. works great and is SUPER EZ to get to on the husky.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Kinda surprised no one seems interested in this but as I don't mind talking to myself... :D

At first i was thinking the bike ran about like it did before, good. Throughout the day I kept playing with the ALJ and fuel screw. Made differences you could feel. Then towards the end of the day I dialed the fuel screw in more and wow, this thing is getting VERY responsive off the bottom. A little more tweaking the ALJ and I'm pretty surprised at the immediate throttle response. Noticeably better than ever before, almost to snappy / sensitive for the tight stuff. Can be dialed right back out. The adjust-ability is fun. Did not check fuel mileage to see what effect it had on that but will tomorrow.

i think i need to put ion a smaller pilot jet but overall I am pretty impressed with the performance gain especially off the bottom.
  3. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Any idea what it's worth?
    Too bad it's not red eh.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I do not but i think they are pretty proud of it. Like $150? I am please with the performance gain and will continue to play with it looking for more mileage.
  5. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Kelly, your high res images look great but they sure tax my browser trying to load/display them.

$150 is pricey for what it is...no doubt it works, but with EFI here and certainly more in the future, I suspect the market for these will dwindle fairly quickly.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Images are under 150k each, pretty small.

i agree with you on the carb / EFI thing.
  7. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Re: images, they download/render quickly, maybe it's something with the vBulletin software. It's certainly tolerable, I just noted it with your images and the others in the 2009 pics thread. Who knows.
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Although this site seems to operate slow at times...the images in Kellys first post are coming from Smug Mug...

If things are slow take a peek in the lower/left hand part of the browser. Depending on browser & configuration the information may be displayed "waiting for ___", and that will be the the site being slow - or in my case with a weak wireless connection it could be at the user end.

We can get into the computer issues in another thread, I don't want this thread off topic too much.
  9. CKPC Husqvarna
    AA Class

I thought about looking into one of those, but honestly after installing the JD kit mine has been rock steady since I worked on it with Coffee's help. I haven't touched anything since! I've been up to 11,000 ft to sea level and only minor changes noticed, but I'm not doing anything but trail riding.
  10. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey thanks for posting this and no you arent talking to yourself. :)

More info please!

So is the idea you dont have to spend multiple times trying different sized leak jets to set up the carb--just put this in and do a one time adjustment?

Or is the idea that one can dial the leak jet for a given altitude, humidity, etc for peak performance, changing the setting for different rides?

Or is it just a different way to adjust for off idle response---i.e. different than dialing duration of the squirt from the accelerator pump?

Maybe all of the above, or something i am missing?

Edelbrock carbs have external adjustment but in practice nobody really used it, other than just a one time deal to get the bike more or less perfectly jetted. I am guessing this is similar.
  11. TripleW Husqvarna
    AA Class