1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

May have found a Workshop Heaven in own Austin backyard - crazy

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by GaryM, Feb 19, 2017.

1. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Of all things , I found this right here in Austin. A membership workshop with almost everything

I have not written check yet but no doubt I will. Much to look over. Machine shop, metal shop,
    water jet cutter, welding, all air conditioned Powder coat oven. Full wood shop too.
    I can bring bikes right into metal shop area if needed.

Can take all classes and use workshop area at any time they are open to use or reserve. Wow
    except Sunday as many classes take place. Classes included in special 6 month membership

http://www.techshop.ws/take_classes.html?storeId=11&categoryId=12

I think if I don't join I am crazy
    Dirtdame and oldbikedude like this.
  2. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    ideal! you will be making stuff for Andy at HVA in seconds flat
  4. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Humm

I wish -- did you see all the courses on writing code for CNC multi axis machine

they do have a few 3D printers to experiment with
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    serious stuff, way above my paygrade. do they have a "shifters for dummies" course? I should attend one of those:rolleyes:
  6. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Couldn't get better. I am fortunate to live in a rural area and have a brother who owns a company with a phenomenal welder for aluminum and S.S..
    He also has a mill, lathe and CNC. I share you excitement! have at it:applause:
  7. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    If I do not get a real job again soon, I am going to be an instructor at a local community college teaching programming CNC machinery, shop safety. quality control, and Mastercam programming. Take a wild guess as to what some of the extra credit projects I might design for my students. I will also be teaching reverse engineering . We have basically a CNC lab with Haas enclosed Toolroom Mills and Haas SL Series CNC Lathes. I was excited just to touch the reconditioned Bridgeport that was just assigned to the CNC Lab.
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Go for it. Knowledge will always be with you where ever you go.

By trade I'm a class A machine tool builder. I built CNC machines up to 4 axis lathes. Up to 144" chucks. Best job I ever had.
  9. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Your brother sounds like a great guy bet he does some work for free for those people that appreciate him being such a great guy.
    Eurofreak likes this.
  10. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    You should be able to supplement the pay packet with a nice line of widgets for husky's turned out by slave labour.:thumbsup: ..if I don't get a real job soon ill be on the street with a hat:eek: .....
  11. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Go for it Gary, knowledge is power, :notworthy: dude

Besides what are you going to with all those extra Husky parts anyway :banana:
  12. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    As a Luddite I ask can you swap CNC programs? I expect the operating system needs to be the same.
    I wish- he lets me use the stuff. I can't program a CNC. I use the mill and lathe and the welder does stuff for me for beer:thumbsup:
  13. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Unless it is a conversational program, G & M code programs are simply ASCII 274 text files. Most machines need a certain file extension. Mazak Mazatrol uses file extension .EIA. Operation systems are flexible enough to accept the standard programs and most conversational controls create a G Code program in the background With the text files you simply change the file extension to suit the control. All ACSCII programs can be opened with Notepad, Wordpad , and Word.
    Eurofreak likes this.
  14. Bob Bellicitti Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 WR 125, 1983 125 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    '74 Maico 250, '74 440 Maico, '77 TY
    I joined the TechShop San Jose last August. It's been super useful during my 1983 XC restoration. I've been cleared to use the mill, lathe, laser engraving and powder coating systems so far. Next up is the Tarmac CNC, when I have time, after this restoration. A fantastic resource to have!
  15. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just found out yesterday that my instructor assignment was canceled due to shortage of funding. Not happy about it but I may have a great job now. Just waiting to hear from the recruiter. I was offered a low paying job programming a CMM and had to talk the HR generalist to put me in for a contract rate. She presented the hourly equivalent of the pathetic salary offer the facility came up with. I told her that recruiters have been telling me that a CMM programmer only should be making 25K more than the company offered. She is now presenting a contract rate of $33/hr. Much better but I would rather take the CNC position that I am likely to get instead. With that position is a CMM I would love to learn.
  16. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    At my last job CMM programers were making $37 an hour plus full benefits back in 2008
  17. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Unfortunately the current trend is is try to drive down our cost if we have an ASME or less and relegate us into operator positions if we are out of work long enough. I got taken out by an uncredentialed wannabe at my last position because he finally succeeded where previous operators failed when they attempted a coupe. He convinced the CEO that he could do a better job than me for less money than me. When you can not succeed with the truth, then repeat a lie 3 times and it becomes the truth.
  18. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    sadly sometimes it seems they dont always care if they get the better job performed..
  19. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    that's a rooster pecking bull shit story that one....no use to you tho....
  20. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I got the programming job confirmed and got the highest salary I have ever gotten. Not the highest income as the last was a contract that I got canceled from because the shop owner was paying too much for me at the contract agency. With the hourly contract rate I was making more income than the salary I will be getting but the company I am going to is 1/3 employee owned so the benefits are the best I have seen since my early years in aerospace.
    Bill502 and jack topper like this.