1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Map3 hard starting and still flame outs te511

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Johnny Bravo, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Johnny Bravo Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te511
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 hoda cbx, 1981 shovel head
    Getting ready for snow bike season and trying to get my bike dialed in before I put on my timbersled kit. The bike is a 2013 te511. I bought the bike used this summer with the snow kit still on the bike. I took it off and put the tires back on. This bike handles awesome and I love the gearing for woods riding here in North Idaho. The bike came with race map2 and a fmf slip on pipe. like others I had problems with Stalling and flame outs. The guy I bought the bike from only used it in the snow and never rode it with the tires on. I am sure he never really noticed the flame outs and stalling cause he was in snow and not dirt.

I just got my ecu back from Zipty. Race map3 installed. I plugged her in and fired it up to warm up engine before doing a tps reset. It took a few trys, but finally started after back firing a few times. I adjusted big brass screw to just under three turns out. Checked all throttle cables, and every thing seemed to be in order. I then followed tps reset instructions. I fired bike up and took her for a spin down the driveway. I could notice a huge difference in power and acceleration. I reached the end of drive way ( 1/4 mile long and gravel) and did a nice tight turn to head back to the shop. I down shifted to 1st, blipped the throttle coming out of the turn just before getting on it to head back to the shop. I gave her a nice fist full of throttle with a big grin on my face, and fell forward into my bars cause she flamed out on me.
    I am used to the flame outs, but what happened next was new. It took me 6 trys to get the bike started. It never liked starting in gear since I have owned it, so I all ways start it in neutral. The battery is one year old and has been on float charge since I got it.

I know that map3 is not a complete fix for our ecu, but don't really have the money for pcv at this time. Is there maybe some other problem going on that I am unaware of? Any help on this would be awesome. This is my first fuel injected bike, so I have no Idea What I am doing here.
  2. Johnny Bravo Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I forgot to mention my speedo is not hooked up. I never plugged it back in after reinstalling wheels, brakes etc. Does it matter if it's plugged in or not? Would this effect efi? I'll Plug it in tonight and go for a ride tomorrow and really see how things are going.
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    No worries about the speedo. Check to see if the secondary butterfly motor is working. Start it let and idle for a few, then shut it off. You should hear the shutdown sequence which includes what sounds like an old school modem and a servo motor. If it is not working properly it will kill the motor when you grab a handful.

Search for Secondary Butterfly Removal for the details on removing it. Mechanism is prone to failure and can be removed easily. Will help with low end power and not a bad idea for a snow bike.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  4. Johnny Bravo Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, I didn't think the speedo would be an issue. I have read about removing the butterfly and will consider it. I fired it up this morning, and found fuel leaking near the efi. I did some searching and on the site and think maybe it is an injector seal, oring???? I have dealt with injectors on huge diesel engines on boats I used to run in Hawaii. I am sure it is similar, but everything looks so fragile and hard to get to on this bike. I figure I am gonna strip the plastics tonight and take a closer look. If it is a leaky injector that would explain hard starting and rich conditions at start up. Where would I find new seals, o ring for the injector. Any advice on removing the injector with out breaking thing? You have all been awesome with advice and I most likely would have sold this thing if not for this site. I know I can get the bugs worked out with help from all of you. I just don't want a break down on top of the Mountain in 10 ft of snow
  5. Johnny Bravo Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te511
    Other Motorcycles:
    injector was fine. fuel leak was a faulty hose clamp on the fuel hose. Still hard to start and stalls and flames out easily. I looked at removing butterfly. It seems simple. Can I get by with just removing the butterfly?
  6. Johnny Bravo Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I did the butterfly removal tonight. I just took out the butterfly, not the cam by the cables. I did a tps reset, and adjusted big brass screw out to just under 2.75. Bike started much easier. Let it warm up for a bit, and then gave her a few blips. She use to flame out 2nd or 3rd blip every time with out fail. Now she powers thought them. She only faltered very slightly once, but pulled through it no Prob. I did not go for a ride. It is below freezing and we are expecting snow over night. If we don't get snow I'll take her For a rip and report back. Thanks Again
  7. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Looks like you got it sorted. Just taking out the butterfly is fine because the ECU thinks it's all attached still and won't throw a fault code on the dash.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  8. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Glad that sounds like it's cured.

I just had a long run with my own bike not idling well, and sometimes not at all
    Check everything twice over and wasn't able to fault it until I found the map sensor o-ring had disappeared.
    As far as I can tell, it's been popped out byva backfire.
    Replaced it and back to normal again