Manual Cam Chain Tensioner for SM610

Discussion in '610/630' started by ripcityracing, May 5, 2009.

1. ripcityracing Husqvarna
    B Class

A fellow mentioned installing a "manual cam chain tensioner" to me the other day and wanted to see if anyone had heard of or tried one of these?

I have a 2008 SM610 that just hit 600 miles and I love it. will check cam chain tensioner when I have the valves adjusted in the next few weeks.
  2. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Just talked to George at Uptite today. Don't bother, I had the same question and as he explained it, how do you know how and when, to adjust it? The auto one on the bike is tried and true on many models. You can get 30,000 miles out of it if you take care of the bike.

Gary
  3. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    If you look over at the AR site there is a bunch of reading you can do. The last I heard the jury is out.
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Yeah, I heard the same thing. I'm not afraid of a manual adjuster. Hell, they all used to be manual on streetbikes, remember? Just check it when you check valves, and listen for the noise. Of course, the 610 motor is rather noisy as a rule so it would be hard to hear it, I would imagine.

Anyway, I've been having a bit of drama replacing my cam chain and spent a few minutes talking with Matt Prentiss, the mechanic at Munroe Motors in SF. I asked him about the MCCT and he basically said don't bother. Lots of engineering went into these motors and they've been rock solid for years so why mess with it? Not to mention you've got to practically tear down the motor in order to get to the manual adjuster anyway. This isn't something I want to do every time I adjust/check my valves, that's for damn sure...:banghead:

WoodsChick
  5. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

The MCCT works great.
    I can set the tension I want.

I will add a edit: If you are not good at assembling things by feel, don't use one. For me they are very simple to check and use.
  6. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just an FYI.

GP Cycles in San Deigo has them if you want to go that route.

I dont have any input about it, either way. I have a MCCT on one of my Huskys, the stocker on another. Both seem to work. :excuseme: