1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Making a WR125's electrics into a CR125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by shawbagga, Dec 30, 2017.

1. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Apologies for all the posts lately but whilst on Xmas holidays trying to get stuff sorted. Long story short is I wanna strip lighting loom off my WR125. It has the ADR(Australian Design Rules) crap for horn, indicators etc. bike is no longer rego'd & have no use for lighting circuit.

So if my thinking is correct(was when I did the same to my WR300 but different ignition set up) you have:

-power coming from flywheel/ignition cover that goes to regulator

-power then from regulator to ignition(Ducati energia with ignition box/coil in one unit) with one ground to frame

-power then out of ignition to yellow wires(currently has 2 power wires-one for powering dash etc & the second one was powering my trailtech speedo) with the 27 ohm 10W resistor going to ground. Obviously to HT lead/plugs too

Seems a lot more wiring than was on my 300(which is basically CR spec with one power wire for speedo)?

Photos of what I've got: image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    The item in 3rd pic I have no idea about? Some sort of capacitor for tail lights/rear indicators?

The black box in the last picture was mounted behind headlight. Has Ducati written on it. Parts fiche says 'horn'? Is this a flasher unit/relay box for indicators?
  3. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    Item in third pic is indicators flasher unit.
    Last pic black box could be a relay for the horn.
    shawbagga likes this.
  4. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Not sure mate, completly different from US setup. Look here at "wr usa" version:
    https://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/...in-wiring-harness,-electrical-parts?fam=Other
    I'm looking at the 300, but pretty sure both are the same and like the link above. There's 5 wires in loom from flywheel, 3 to ignition and 2 to regulator, then regulator to kill switch and yellow wire for headlight/speedo. Can take pics for ya if it helps.

Does/did yours have a battery?
  5. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Ok cool so I can jettison them. Thought they were something like that. Cheers mate
  6. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    nah mate no battery. Be the same as US just more ADR shit for on road rego. Yeah any pics be great. I'd imagine newer 300's with Ducati ignition be same or very similar. My 300 is older kokusan analogue type
  7. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    this is line out of flywheel/generator. Its spliced so a red, green, white & black go to ignition(plug).
    The line that goes to regulator has a green that bypasses regulator plug(ground?) straight to plug for dash etc. it has a white & brown that goes into regulator plug. There's an earth that goes to frame out of regulator plug(spade connection was rusted away which may have been my resistor problem!). There's a thick yellow wire(power) comes out of regulator plug to dash plug.

My thinking is that I can fix earth connection to frame from reg plug then chop dash plug off to use yellow power wire for speedo & ground the green(or use as negative wire for speedo)?
    Not sure what the green is? Will I need that resistor that burnt out on me a coupla months ago in line? image.jpg image.jpg you can see missing earth out of reg plug but I'll sort that. The bottom pic is after it's been through ignition & reg basically the power to run everything. Not sure why green become red/white after the plug but can easily put a connection on yellow for speedo power. Is red/white negative?

I hate electrics.

Attached Files:

8. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Sorry this is main line out of generator image.jpg
  9. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    _SVH6309-s.JPG
    On mine green turns to black/white and goes to kill button. The rest is actually the same. My main wire loom from flywheel splits, red/white/black into Ducati ignition with green out to plug with yellow from regulator. Green must be a neutral, when you mash the kill button it breaks the circuit to the ignition. No earth to frame from my ignition.
    Brown/white into regulator, Yellow out of regulator to power light, speedo and black to earth on frame.
    cheers
    shawbagga likes this.
  10. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

How about just putting in the older kokusan CR ignition and not messing with the ducati stuff.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  11. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Don't wanna keep spending $ on it TBH mate. Pretty much just gonna be my track marking(doesn't get hot easily)/spare/loaner bike
  12. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I do still have that CR ignition set up ;)
    shawbagga likes this.
  13. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    How much?! I'm over spending money on it ATM TBH
    NCSteve likes this.
  14. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    :lol:
    shawbagga likes this.
  15. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    I have serious issues Steve. ;)
    NCSteve likes this.
  16. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    image.jpg
    Righteo, I've fixed earth connection, sprayed plugs, re-taped & re-connected it all as it should be. Lighting loom removed. So....questions:

All I'm left with is yellow power wire(which will solely power speedo) & the red/white wire(which I'm assuming is neutral for kill switch)?

Hypothetically I shouldn't need that 10W 27ohm resistor anymore correct? CR125 don't run thèm?
    I'm guessing that resistor is for when powering dash/lights/horn/indicators?

Does this sound/look correct?

EDIT: after looking at wiring diagrams again, there's no power at all on CR125 so I'd say resistor must be in there. Red/white wire is indeed killswitch
  17. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Maybe me not thinking straight but you should have two wires coming from the stator - one for the 12v (think that was yellow) the other one should go to the coil via the kill switch !! and bobs yer uncle off you go into the bright blue yonder .
  18. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I run TrailTech on both mine and no resistor installed on either, plugs directly into yellow wire and no probs. :cheers:
    shawbagga likes this.
  19. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Yeah trailtech can run on AC or DC I think so hopefully can take any additional power. Was hoping someone would say that Steve! :)

I winder why AUS(& Canada versions too looking at manual) have that resistor? Is it because of additional power draw for all the lights/horn etc?

I can get my auto sparky mate to easily splice an additional power wire out of the yellow wire out of plug so can run the resistor to ground. Just wasn't sure it was necessary without all the lighting crap on there?
  20. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    I didn't change anything coming out of stator, reg or ignition. Was all downstream from there. Just replaced the broken earth connection to frame from reg. The wiring diagram shows red/white open circuit so I guess when you push killswitch it grounds ignition to kill it. Black wire of killswitch just grounds to frame.

I cut all the sheaths open & none of the wires were spliced just folded up so from stator to ignition to reg is a triangle type of deal if that makes sense