Magnetic sump plug TXC310 2014

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Rock Hopping, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Rock Hopping Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    txc 310r enduro 2014
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ 250f 2007, Yamaha R6 2007
    Hi all.

New to the site, just purchased my bike a week ago.

I have seen one or two mentions of a magnetic sump plug and that is all (DOES IT REALLY EXIST?). Have had bikes all my life and change filters every 3rd oil change so if that plug is real, it would save a hell of a lot of trouble surrounding the rear hard to get to hose connected sump plug.

I have spent considerable hours downloading and looking through both owners and workshop manuals (NO MENTION OF THE PLUG IN THE MANUALS, AT ALL, , SO IF IT DOES EXIST WHY IS IT NOT MENTIONED AS PART OF THE BIKES MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE) as well as lots of threads also without success.

There is a plug underneath the case that has an allen key head, is this the magnetic plug. scared to try to remove it as my last bike was a Beta and it had a plug that looked very similar but it had something to do with adjusting oil rate and if you touched it it would really mess up the bike.

has anyone got any hard evidence, pictures etc.

Thanks in advance, this site has been brilliant in helping me to understand and then purchase my TXC.

Sam
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    The TC250 came with the drain plug and with crankcase breather to atmosphere, the TXC310 and TE310 models have that crankcase vented oil return line set up. I you go into the parts catalog you can see the layouts and you can find the oil drain plug for the TC250. Both my 310s were rigged with ZipTy Racing oil return line mods and had the ZipTy Racing mag plug installed into the drain.
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    note on the 310s vent to atmosphere can be problematic the 310s have higher crankcase pressures and tend to blow oil out of the case vent at a much higher rate than the 250. So that's why the factory added the recirculation system to the 310s. The bad thing about the OEM recirculation system is the fittings/clamps at the oil pan low point can leak or rupture, losing your oil big time.
    I had it happen , not catastrophic but a lot of oil was in my skid plate after a race, smashed something with the skid plate and hose got cut near the clamp.
    Note also the backbone of your frame is the "catch" tank for the vent system.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    you need to get the pdf parts fiche and look at the exploded views then you will see what is what in the oil drain and vent systems
  5. Rock Hopping Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    txc 310r enduro 2014
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ 250f 2007, Yamaha R6 2007
    Hi guys.

I have looked a the parts list (exploded view), page after page, did not find it, maybe i missed it. I will definitely keep an eye on that hose, it is very scary to have all that pressure streaming out of the bottom of the engine because if it ruptures there goes all of your oil in 30 seconds.

re: Zip ty - they have links to their store somewhere on this site, correct?
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    truth is it doesn't look like they have the kit up anymore may be discontinued I would call them or email them. I actually did an alternative set up before they built the return line. I can tell you in PM but let me know I may even have some fotos.
    meantime let me know if you have 2 or 3 bungs on the center frame backbone (catch tank)
  7. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Sounds like confusion here... The 13 and 14 have a magnetic sump plug dead center under the sump. It's that allen head bolt. 7602 Racing and Zip Ty do not have replacement 14mm drain plugs but Amazon and Ebay do for very little cash.

Regarding the Drain back kit... Stock 13/14 and older all have that catch tank to under the rear of the sump drain back. Many of us replaced that with a still available kit that routes the oil to the filler cap itself and replaces the rear plug with one that has no nipple... https://ziptyracing.com/products/husqvarna-310-drain-back-kit-2nd-generation.

The owners manuals for the 13/14 were re-hashed model 12 manuals and did not show all the updated parts and oil change using the bottom sump plug. Other things they did cover as the 13/14 more closely resembled the 12 TC model with Keihin FI and top end.

Note that the under sump drain plug is secured very tightly form the factory like the rest of the fasteners. The shoulders of that undercut bolt will weaken and fail as mine did so use a fresh crush washer and don't reef on it too much when reinstalling. I plan on getting a couple of replacements with hex bolts from Ebay or AMZ. I have seen them as magnetic in various colors for around $3-5.
    robertaccio likes this.
  8. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head