Loosing cooling liquid through the expansion tank

Discussion in '610/630' started by Soaime, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Soaime Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 954
    Hey guys, i've recently had the water pump fully refurbished and also changed the cooling temp sensor. But the bike constantly pushes out the cooling liquid through the expansion tank. The fan works and i have no error when checking with iBeat.

Do you have any ideea what is going on?
  2. Soaime Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 954
  3. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
  4. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    I see and feel too much vibration in this engine.
    Probably the head seal is not in good condition.
    This problem does not work out with my condensation solution ...... unfortunately
  5. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Your video would indicate a blown headgasket. A leak down test will confirm. Has the bike had anything done to enrich fuel settings?

6. Soaime Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 954

Well, when i plugged in iBeat for the first time the bike was at 100-100-100.

First, i reset the long term FB. Afterwards i went with 90-105-110 without the powerup plug and went for a 30 km drive.
    Now i'm waiting for the pu to arrive and, as you sugested i have unpluged the lambda o2 sensor. I did not drive it after this anyway...

I ordered the head gasket, the cylinder upper and lower gasket, they were something like 50$ so it's not so expensive. Problem is, it takes two weeks to arrive. Good thing is, now that i'm opening up the cylinder i get to check the valve clearance :)
  7. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    Maybe you put too much water in the expansion slot?
    Do a new test.
    Fill the radiator to the maximum and put a small amount of water in the expansion tank - when the engine is hot check if it is still out with a strong jet
  8. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    Does the cooling fan turn on at the right time?
  9. Soaime Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 954
    Hey Rotax, the fan works perfectly and the thermostat opens the circuit to the radiators at about 70 degrees celsius. After i've lost liquid and the water pump sounded like crazy, i filled up the radiator as the manual sais. After the liquid filled the circuit the water pump

Dynobob, i will try and do the leakdown test before opening up the engine, thanks for the advice. Anyway, i've just received the pu plug and screw for the lambda probe, can't wait to try it out in the race mode.
  10. Soaime Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 954
    I put in the pu plug but now i get only co2 settings, should this be happening?

Attached Files:

11. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Be aware ! Just adding the PU plug is not enough! You must add fuel in the higher rpm/load ranges or you are dangerously lean. My bike dyno'd a very lean 36hp with the PU plug, it jumped to 47hp with correct fueling.

Good luck!

12. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    How do you do the leak detection test from the head seal?
  13. Soaime Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 954
    Went with 100-105-110 at first. Will try 100-110-115 after i change the cylinder gasket.
  14. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    I photographed the level in my expansion tank and it's where the pen arrives. The minimum level indicated is wrong for me. If you fill the expansion tank to that size ......... it comes out all out when the bike is hot. The photos are made with a cold and vertical engine. This level is always equal to 1500 km 20170704_154115.jpg 20170704_154010.jpg 20170704_154951.jpg
  15. Soaime Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 954
    Thanks man, you're helpig me a lot; you went to a lot of trouble for these pictures. So i'm waiting for my gaskets and after changing, i will fill the expansion tank to your indicated level, no mater what the mechanic will say. Did i mention that the guys from Husqvarna/KTM here in Bucharest are telling me that they can't fix my bike and you guys are my only help? Yeah...it's not ok...but i got to know an engineer from BMW that is going give me a hand at his service but my only real hope is you guys, so thank you.

In my bike, if i fill the radiator as much as yours it will overflow through the radiator cap when hot.
  16. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    There is a gauge that screws in the spark plug hole. With the piston at TDC (both valves shut), you hook the gauge to 100psi compressed air and watch the radiator for bubbles. The gauge tells you what % leakage you have. You can also listen to the exhaust pipe and airbox to tell if you have bad exh or int valves.

Rotax_655 likes this.
  17. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    tanks for informazioni
    look this easy sistem

http://m.ebay.it/itm/CO2-cylinder-h...%3A166ef6b215d0aa47f36241c2fff0e1ab%7Ciid%3A4
  18. Soaime Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 954
    So guys, i've spoken to my mechanic and he told me that we will have to test the cylinder head for leakeage also...it might not be only the gaskets. In some cases the cylinder head can be welded otherwise the cylinder head assambly is pretty expensive, something like 900 euro for new part. Do you have any idea why the cylinder head part was change by Husqvarna from 8000H2042 to 8000H2041? cylhead.png
  19. Soaime Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 954
    In the end my mechanic took the engine appart, verified that the cylindet head isn't cracked, then checked the planarity of the contact surfaces of the cylinder and cyl head and they were off, had to redo the surfaces ( the guys that tested the cyl head also did this for me and also checked the valve seating). Also engine needed some cleaning as you can see in the atrached pics. Now i am on holiday and can't wait to pick up the hopefully functioning bike. These operations cost me areound 350€ for working hours and 150€ for pats. IMG_1614.JPG IMG_1616.JPG
  20. Kia-ora Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none yet Soon to purchase a SWM
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW r100gspd, Benelli 250 supersport
    Interesting read and relevant to what happened to me.

Shipped my bike(SWMRS650) to Oz for a ride and filled the reservoir about half full. Coolant was leaking out the reservoir but the radiator stayed full and eventually the reservoir level settled. After 3500kms the bike stopped and was getting water into the cylinder. This was the end of my trip on the bike. Are these engines prone to blowing head gaskets? and why? Generally a blown gasket is a symptom of something else but there was no warning or any visible external leaks.
    Its now back in NZ and with the dealer who will be talking to SWM next week as I am claiming warranty.