1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Looking at a 2006 TE450. Opinions?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by kyle01, Jan 17, 2017.

1. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 430, Honda CR 144, XS650
    I've been looking to add a street legal 4t to my dirt collection for a little while... Ok, since last fall when I did a muddy, sloppy Enduro ride and was watching in envy as the 4t thumpers tractored up the slimy hills and lit up at the touch of a magical button. My current dirt ride is a Gasgas ec250...

So, fast forward to yesterday. Stumbled upon a stock 2006 te450 with under 600 miles on the clock... basically new. Anything I need to be aware of (outside of what you'd normally be leery of when buying a 10 year old bike wirh so few hours) The street legal thing is only because the bulk of my riding is done in Wisconsin, and Wisconsin is a shitty dirtbike state... having a titled, insured and street legalish bike opens up riding opportunities quite a bit. So no aspirations for this to be a "street" bike.

Thanks in advance. My other husky is a TR650... SO I'm used to loving an unlovable stepchild :-)
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I'm not certain, but it sure sounds good. I think it's better if the experts with this vintage of 450 chime in. Channeling "OlderHuskyRider"
  3. Flash319 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM640 Supermoto
    Im on a 08 tc510 which is the same bike but with a short gearbox. I ride with a guy on 06 te450 and does not take care of it, just rides it. Both these bikes take a beating and have had no abnormal problems. I would not hesitate to by a near new te450.
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Had an 06 TE450 for 4 years. Not one mechanical issue. I always changed the oil after every third ride and the oil filter every second oil change.
    Air filter changed when required regardless of hours (ie regular inspection). Great bike heaps of grunt. Just look after it and it will go for years.
    PS 2 other tips:
    1: use an Iridium spark plug-helps in cold weather starts &
    2: put in at about 200:1 ratio 2 stroke oil into the fuel. it will not smoke or foul the plug. It will help cushion valves and give a little extra top ring lube. An added bonus is that it acts as a fuel preserver as well.
    starrblade likes this.
  5. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would but it quick, those are great bikes.
  6. Teeszy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM510R , 2016 FE501S
    How much $?
    Great bike but I would not spend over 4G's on it
    Hopefully you found it for a steal :)
  7. Flash319 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM640 Supermoto
    4grand would get you a newer bike. I would not pay more then $3500 and even then it would have to be damn spotless for a 06.
    MFGamesta likes this.
  8. Teeszy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM510R , 2016 FE501S
    Agreed. I just didn't want to bust OP's balls over a price when markets vary. For instance I paid $4,200 in CA for my 2006 smr510 in 2015. $4200, but I really wanted it. Fast forward to last summer, I almost bought an 07 Te510 for $2000 but it sold while I was driving over to check it out. bikefinds.com is a great place to see what used bikes are listing for.
  9. Flash319 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM640 Supermoto
    Ya good point, depends where you are. Here in canada supermotos are always 1grand more. Everyone adds the wheel price into the bike weather it came with them or not.....
  10. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the advice and tips guys. I couldn't put a the deal together before leaving for a work trip- so I decided to let it slide and see if it was still available. Well, just got back and she's still up. Asking price is $3500, I'm gonna make an offer tomorrow. He claims and it looks pretty much perfect. As I said, under 600 miles (road miles too) IMG_3145.JPG
    Dirtdame, Bugsinteeth and kwb377 like this.
  11. Bugsinteeth Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450, TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    Kyle,

I hope you can come to terms with the seller and purchase that bike.

I had a 2005 TE 450 in the same colour scheme.....It was an excellent machine.

That bike has sat for a long time....one thing to do would be to change out the clutch slave oring for an Uptite x-ring. I did this to my 05 when I purchased it with 1500Km on the clock......clutch was flawless for many years after this simple and inexpensive mod. With only 600 miles on the bike the slave piston and cylinder are likely in mint condition so more expensive repairs should be unnecessary.

Good luck!
    Bugs
  12. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I don't know the market for early TEs but it seems to me that a bike in that shape should be maybe $3-500 above the middle-of-road '06 TE450. I'd guess $2900.

As soon as you put 200 miles on it, it's gonna be worth $2500. so if you buy it, and pay more than market, just be aware. Most purchases are emotional anyway- if it makes you happy, no worries. enjoy.

good luck.
    MFGamesta likes this.
  13. Bugsinteeth Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450, TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    FWIW,

I think trenchcoat's pricing is spot on....these bike sell for low $$$$..... Massive bang for your buck value due to orphan status.

Bugs
    Trenchcoat85 and Teeszy like this.
  14. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I would also flush the radiator and change the oil.
    Probably a good thing to regrease the swingarm/linkage and steering head bearings (do a couple of rides first). They come from the factory with naff all coating-use a quality waterproof grease. Note not all of the bearings are cased so watch the little buggers when you clean and regrease.
  15. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Working on the dollar amount. Stay tuned...
  16. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kyle it will be Autumn by the time you get this done. Bite the bullet, let the moths out of your wallet. Get the bike, ride it and fall in love. No charge for the counseling.
    PS want photos too please.
  17. Prizmblue Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Triumph
    It's worth 3500 if you were to ask me, good looking bike! I bought mine about 3 years ago for 3500, it had more miles but came with larger fuel tank and saddle bags. the bike is very strong and bullet proof when maintained properly, This bike was maid in Italy by Cagiva- Aprila at the old Aermacchi factory which started making sea planes in the 1930's, after WW2 they started building motorcycles for the Italian public, later Harley Davidson invested in the company to make bikes to compete with the Japanese market, which didn't pan out so well! Anyway Cagiva starts manufacturing Husqvarnas in the factory which is on a lake (remember the factory made sea planes!) had ramps from the factory to the lake, Italy received a lot of rain which caused the lake to overflow in to the factory which killed production! in a nutshell BMW took it from there! The 2006 TE 450 is a good bike, Its one of the fastest, most stable enduros ever made. the biggest problem i've had is that it wants to go straight too well, for me anyway. when coming into a sharp berm it doesn't want to let the rear end pivot around, it wants to hookup and charge straight ahead, which can be greatly reduced by dropping the forks! But i still love it, it's why i call mine my Swedish Italian girl friend. anyway a bike worth the money!
  18. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry I disappeared... may have been my deep depression over NOT GETTING THE TE...

I was trying to steal it, the owner wisely held out. Oh well, life continues.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  19. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    maybe. were you guys too far apart on the price? or did he sell it to another party (and what did he get)?
  20. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I pulled the trigger on a Beta 430rs instead! Found a killer deal on a 2016 that was still in dealer stock -$1000.00 so it was hard to beat.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.