Light upgrade

Discussion in '610/630' started by hahmule, Jan 20, 2009.

1. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

The UPS tracker tells me the 8" light I ordered from Baja Designs will be waiting for me when I get home.

It works on AC from the stator or DC from the battery. Is there any advantage to wiring it one way or the other? :thinking:
  2. rajobigguy Administrator

If it's going of a 610 wire it up to DC voltage and let the battery act as a load stabilizer. If its going on a 250-510 that has had the staor upgraded it might be better to run it of the AC lighting coil so you don't drain down you're battery, unless you tied all you're gen. coils together and went with a larger rectifier/regulator in which case you don't have any choice but to wire it up to the battery.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    DC should provide the same light at idle as reved up. With AC it might darken when off the throttle / RPM.
  4. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

I have an 06 TE 610 and would like to conserve DC watts where practicable, to run my heated clothing. Would running the light on AC accomplish this?
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

I might be wrong but I don't think the 610 has a AC circut, you do however have plenty of DC wattage available to run just about any accesory that you want. Right now on my '06 610 I run a 65w main light, two 35w HIDs, heated hand grips and still have enough wattage left over to run an automatic ice cube maker.:D
  6. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

"I don't think the 610 has a AC circut"

That would simplify things a great deal. Come to think of it, I can use the stock light with the motor off, that would suggest that Rajjo is right and that the original light runs on DC, not AC, doesn't it?
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    If the light comes on with the engine off then there is no AC to run it, ergo it must be DC. Toss a voltmeter on it with it set to AC and see if anything shows up with engine running to be sure. Taking a peek at the schematic might also be helpful.

The 610 can supply much power based on the posts I've read.
  8. rajobigguy Administrator

The '06s have 240w generators, some of the 07s and all the FI bikes have 320w generators but the FI pump eats up some of that. A safe bet is to assume that you have about 200w to play with and the rest is for battery charging. In my case I changed all the running lights, brake light, and turn signals to LED and in any given scenario they will draw a max of 11w. That leaves me with 189w to play with for lighting and accessories. The hand grips draw 35w on high, a 65w main light and two 35w HIDs for a total of 170w. 19w watts left over might not be enough to power the on-board automatic ice cube maker so I guess I'll have to drink warm drinks on cold winter nights.:cool:
  9. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for your replies. I know what I'm going to do, or attempt rather.