Lectron does it again - Older FE501 Berg...

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Got a Lectron for my older 4 stroke FE501 berg. Made the bike start so much EZer, snappy response and lots of top end. works great as usual.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    street2dirt and 454x like this.
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Cool. Hey did you ever try one on a 2010 Husky TC250?
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Not personally but sold one to a guy and he could not be more happy about it. Said it made it way EZer to start and ran super smooth. Also getting way better fuel milage.
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Good to know; thanks.
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    so K what r u riding the most now days AJP? WR500? THE Berg??????? whats up with the AJP forum?????
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

[quote="troy deck, post: 541462, member: 10601" whats up with the AJP forum?????[/quote]
    Hey my quote button works again. Must be the new computer. BTW good question I miss the AJP stuff.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Not riding much dirt right now as most everything semi local is closed due to fire danger. WR500 and AJP are my main rides. AJP forum will live again but will be a while. Been riding the crap out of my Buell. Did 340 miles on it yesterday. did 40 or so nice wheelies. :D Wonder how long the fork seals/ bushings will last on that ha ha ha
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Got another good ride on the berg last night. Finally got this bike to where I am not addressing issues on the trail like leaking fuel or running bad, clutch that can't get adjusted or something. These old Bergs need constant love which I knew going in. Seems I have it all sorted now and actually got to concentrate on setting up the suspension and handling to my liking. I have the Lectron carb adjusted right and the motor rules. This thing is a rocket from bottom to the hyper drive top. Since last time out I installed a softer carb return spring so it feels normal now. I adjusted the rod richer yet, 2.25 turns richer than sent! This thing likes fuel. And it knows what to do with it... make big power. I always heard these were fast. Very fast guy and friend Rory Sullivan and I were speaking about these bikes, he rides everything and still says these old bergs are his favorite bikes ever. FAST and light. Anyway the bikes starts reliably now. 1-3 kicks. It did give me a starting fit when I pop and stalled it once, my fault, wrong gear. Still, it was a bitch to restart it. I need to fix the compression release setup. Also might try a splash of race fuel as I hear they start and run much better and the manual calls for a minimum 98 octane! I'm running crappy pump 92. Still starts WAY better than with the stock carb and pulls WAY harder from bottom to top. This motor is really amazing. I had a few fire breathing 570/610 huskys back in the day and these motors are designed by the same people and you can tell. They all ooze huge power. It stuns me that a 94 motor with a non pumper carb barks and leaps forward like a new 570 berg. The thing wheelies if you look at the throttle wrong in the first 4 gears. Has so much power you can ride it a gear high, use the clutch and sling shot your self from corner to corner. It makes huge bottom that seems to find the ground, huge mid that just pulls hard and then goes into a top end that feels like there is a turbo installed and seems to want to rev to 20K. What the heck. Then they attached this mondo HP to a trans that will climb a tree or go 120 MPH. Even on open gravel roads at ridiculous speeds I am not using 6th gear. The thing is a controllable monster. The power is intoxicating. The spread of gears is ridiculous. Old berg with a lectron carb is something to behold. I have had and have a lot of pretty fast bikes. Uncorked and rocketship like TE511, WR500 2 stroke yamaha, KX500... I think this might be the fastest of the bunch. Its stupid fast.

That said and the motor working 100% I set out to dial the suspension and handling as much as I could. It was supple but confused and hard to keep on line. Because of the snappy huge HP you need to learn to ride it smooth and a gear high in the tighter stuff. This alone helps a lot. It has WP forks and Ohlins shock. I have replaced the oil in the forks but have done nothing to the shock. Bike felt kind of confused and loose. Changed all the settings all over the place, moved the forks up in the triples to get it to turn quicker, played extensively with the clickers. Learned the bike is very responsive to settings. I have a ride area not far from my house I dont ride at a ton as there is not a lot up there but it is rocky and loose and good for setting up bikes. there is a 13 miles one way loop I take laps on and do setup. I rode from 5 til dark at about 8 and at the end felt I was really getting along well with the bike and getting the setup close for me. I'm pretty fast on this loop on my AJP PR5 bike and feel I am close on the berg. Obviously they are totally different bikes and need ridden as such but feel the berg, after a lot of adjustment for me and my needs is working quite well. Not sure I can do the 13 mile loop as fast as on my AJP but did feel fast towards the end. The AJP you use a lot of throttle and the nimbleness an accuracy to get you through. The Berg you use the brute power and point and shoot more. One thing is for sure the AJP is much EZer in the end as it is not trying to pull your arms off.

Fun stuff these bikes. I like to try all sorts of bikes, they all have something to offer. I'm glad I have this old berg and am amazed how much performance was available in 94. I see why KTM wanted the berg engineers to build a 4 stroke, they know how to make some ridiculous power from a simple power plant. The Lectron has made the bike better in every way and one big way (starting) which honestly was keeping me from wanting to ride the bike. Now i want to ride it more, massage it into all it can be. Its fun to ride an 20 year old bike that has the power of a modern 450 MX bike and weighs the same too. Amazing what they did back then. When Rory told me his old Berg was one of his favorite bikes ever and he had won a bunch of stuff on it I was very surprised. As I get it dialed I am less surprised. Its a light weight missile and in the right hands I can see how it might win some stuff (as they did). Fun old iron for sure.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    juicypips likes this.
  9. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    to top off the excellent package the kicker and chain are on the correct sides! gotta love those swedes!:thumbsup:hell, even the silencer is on the right (correct) side...hahahhaha
    i always like seeing the early bergs, its like an alternate reality...where husky stayed in sweden and developed their thumpers.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Exactly why I got this bike. Always loved my old 610 and 570's. These are not as reliable but much lighter, vibrate less and still make the same endless power as well as being dirt cheap. Thing is with these is you have to want it and willing to work on them regularly. I can see how in the right hands these win a lot of races which they did. Whats weird is how in 89 berg had lightweight firebreathing 4 strokes before anyone else did. they also had mass centralization (check that fuel tank) and the bike does in fact feel very light on the trail something my 570/610 could not really pull off.
  11. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I want to put a lectron on my TE 511. I'm done with EFI.
    troy deck likes this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I think putting a carb on a EFI bike would be real hard. That said I have my TE511 running fantastic and glitch free. TC449 FMF exhaust, remapped ECU (ZipTy), JD tuner, and butterfly removed. Runs amazing.
  13. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    is the EFI and ignition all tied together ? i was thinking that for all those TR650 troubles
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Yes, plus you have an ECU waiting for info and not getting it. Then there are fuel pumps to deal with. Just making the carb fit might be a deal breaker as EFI is side pull and smaller overall / no bowl. Lots of hoops to jump. Not impossible but not EZ at all.
  15. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Yea, I keep forgetting about ignition. I was thinking you could delete the ECU out of the system and just wire all the controls from the battery, but the ECU controls ignition/timing. Hmmm...
  16. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    lectron/ HPI??? :excuseme: just dump all that crap go old skool u no if weren't for EFI i bet we would have a new 250MX champ in the US and Martin would of had at least 1 better moto finish
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i love efi on automobiles and hate it on small engines..
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Generally me too. I did manage to get my TE511 and AJP PR5 running VERY well with EFI but it was not painless.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Berg update - Last night I adjusted the valves and fixed the autodecomp. WOW, bike kicks like a 125 and lights right off. This bike has come so far since I got it. I really like the stupid simplicity of the bike but do understand it will take semi constant massaging to keep it in shape. Thats OK, it's part of the fun for me. Time to sort some ergonomics out now. Bike is well worth farting around with. That motor...
    Xcuvator and Cosmokenney like this.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Took the bike out for another evening rip. Getting it quite dialed and amazed how good it is. The motor kicks so EZ now and lights right up, make huge power and is fun. The bike itself is really coming around, adjusted a bunch more stuff and got the suspension worked very well. Handling is really coming around. Bike is better than I hoped.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]