1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Late Clutch cover Bushings

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 1982 XC 430, Mar 25, 2015.

1. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm installing a Late 85-8 ? Clutch cover on my 84 250. The Late Covers have a Bushing that fits between the Cover and the Kick Starter Shaft. The NOS 4 stroke cover I have did not come with the Bushing. Husqvarna-Parts.com doesn't list it nor HVA. It looks as though the Shaft is the same part number from 82 threw 88, and therefore should be the same diameter, of 20mm. The Hole in the Cover is 21.9 mm. A 1.9 mm bushing is very thin, and not easy to machine out of Bronze. They probably had one made out of a harder material with the dimples in it to hold grease. Any one know where to get one ? I ran into this once before on the HVA Aluminum Cover and it was an easy fix I just machined the cover oversize and installed a larger bushing. The OEM cover has no ware near the meat around the bushing as the HVA and we know they crack here so I really don't want to machine it oversize. One would think that a modern bike has the same design, and I could find a Bushing there. My local Modern Bike dealers stock no parts, and have parts people who have no knowledge of anything that is not on the screen in front of them. I see that the Shifter Shaft will be the same story, except it will be a smaller size. I know I'm not the first one to run into this, what have You guys done ?
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Press the bronze bushing into the cover, machine it out with a boring head on a vertical mill. Make the bushing close on a lathe to start with is easier but could be done another way.
  3. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

OK well I solved the problem and feel like a fool doing it. The Bushings were included all along they were in a separate bag of goody's that came with it. Sure seems odd that there were not installed at the factory and that they were left to the dealer to install. They are Metal, have no dimples for Grease and are really more of a Speedy Sleeve than anything else. Since they are so thin they really need a mandrel made to press them in. Once in they need a little Honing to clearance fit them. My cover has no Water Pump housing. The Bag of extra Parts is marked Husqvarna - Cagiva. The casting Date Clock has a 3 in the middle of it, what ever Year or decade that might be.
  4. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    The soft mag cases can elongate at this kickstarter bore. Is rear important to retro these bushings. But most make there own.

By holding the kick starter shaft from binding this really helps cases from cracking or even the kick start gear binding with idle then even transferring to clutch ring gear.