1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Lacing 1972 husky rim

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by smrmx14, May 19, 2015.

1. smrmx14 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 wr450
    Other Motorcycles:
    lots
    I am currently restoring a 1972 wr 450 and really need help on the lacing of the rear wheel.
    thanks
  2. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    Best bet is beg, borrow or steal another wheel to copy.It has the 4 odd ball spokes that go in the opposite direction so the the spkt bolts are not covered
  3. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    The 68-74 shop manual shows the proper procedure for lacing the wheel. The manual is too large a file to post here, but I have it uploaded online on Onedrive. If you PM me your email, I can give you access to it, you'll be able to download the manual. The wheel lacing procedure is pretty far down in the manual after the section on forks. I made a jig for mine with two uprights with V notches to set the axle in be able to spin the wheel and correct for lateral and radial runout.
    Steve
  4. smrmx14 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 wr450
    Other Motorcycles:
    lots
    Thanks guys I have done many rims but this one is crazy.
  5. Jeff B Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha ty 175,
    I've done a couple of these. Buchanan refers to that wheel as the "Husky Odd Ball" and it is. BTW There are 5 different spokes. First thing is make sure you got the right size nipple. Got my spokes from Buchanan. They sent larger nipples. Did not fit the rim. Take photos. My first one I did solo. I Called Buchanan and spoke to man named Angel. He talked me through the first pattern and I repeated. After that, I had a wheel to copy. Jeff
  6. Desmoducky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 WR360, 1972 CR 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 Ducati 916
    Do what I did!

I photographed my wheels (both sides), then printed out an 11"x17" print of the wheels on my printer. Next I took a measuring ruler and measure the spoke lengths on the photo and color-coded each different length (including the different bends of each spoke) with a different colored marker. Make sure you color-code them with the proper overlap from the outside spokes to the inside spokes to show the proper layering.

Then take your new replacement spokes and use a different colored paint marker to color-code the new spoke shafts to match your color-coded spokes on the photos you already marked up. Now you'll be able to place the spokes in the right location with reference to the right hole. This is especially helpful when your wife makes you look up from respoking the wheels for a split second and you wind up starting all over because you lost track of where the 'ell you were in the process.

MORAL OF THIS STORY? Banish the wife from the garage when you're trying to respoke a wheel!

Don't forget to mark the rim lock holes and the air fill hole so you don't fiddle-faddle with them. I even number each hole on the wheel as well as the holes in the rim on the printed photos as well and as it turns out, this job is hard to screw up because of the colors... less of course, you're stone-ass color-blind.

At any rate, this pre-prep work will make you look like a spoke god. It is immensely helpful.

Now, when you start to set your new spokes in place, pay attention to those six odd ball spokes (you'll see them as you study the colored spokes in your photos). These spokes set the rhythm for what you're trying to do here. Also, pay attention to which layer of spokes overlay the other layers. With everything being color-coded, you'll start to see the patterns rather than just a mess of spokes. Sort of like seeing the trees for the forest.

And for guad sakes, don't forget that your wheels are offset more to one side than the other so measure this too, other wise the rear wheel could easily hit your swing arm because it is too biased to one side!

Now before you say, "I can't do this, Bwaaaaahaaaaahaaaaa," crying like a red-headed stepchild, understand that I was exactly where you are... intimidated as all 'get-out' about respoking wheels. But I'll tell you what, don't worry! YOU WILL HAVE THAT EUREKA MOMENT, I PROMISE YOU! You will learn how to do this and once you've done it, you'll feel like you just conquered a BIG item on your bucket list and you can now die fully-satisfied with life (or maybe not).

When you're completely done with lacing the wheels, do what I did. Clamp the axle in a vise and spin the wheel to true the wheels against a magnetic welding angle. Use your spoke wrench until the wheel spins true and the spokes make the same pitch as you "clink' them with a tap from your spoke wrench. After you are all done, wipe the colored paint marker streaks off your new replacement spokes with some brake cleaner or acetone. Once you set the tire and fill it, the air pressure will also true-up the wheel. Go around one more time and check the pitch of the spoke sound...

Then smugly wait until three o'clock in the morning, strip off your clothes, run out into the middle of your suburban neighborhood street with your wheel hoisted over your head and yell at the top of your lungs, "Me make wheel go round!" and keep doing it until the police show up, then run like hell.

Now say, "Hell yes, I can do this, Drill Sargent!"

Desmo
  7. Desmoducky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 WR360, 1972 CR 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 Ducati 916
  8. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    That looks like it got pulled off the assembly line, although I do not remember Akront rims being quite that shiny:)
  9. Desmoducky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 WR360, 1972 CR 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 Ducati 916
    I thought the same exact thing about the shiny rims until the guy who owned it pulled out his scrap book and showed me photos of himself as a tennager standing beside his bike. His rims were shiny and when I pulled the old Akron sticker off the rim, underneath it was still shiny on both rims... I would have thought that water and air would have penetrated the sticker and still do its nefarious deed of oxidizing the rims...

Desmo
  10. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    How to Lace Husky Rear Wheel

Attached Files:

11. spaceace182 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 250cc CR
    Crashaholic! Thank you!! That rim is a bitch to lace, and without your little how to file I would still be out there in my shop trying to figure it out!, I am gonna make a how to video and post it on you tube. When I get the video done I will post a link to the youtube video on this thread. Why someone hasn't done that yet is beyond me