1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc KYB SSS Forks

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motovet45, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Motovet45 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300
    Has anyone swapped out the Yamaha SSS forks on their WR300? I have access to a set off a 2006 YZ250F and want to upgrade from the OC KYBs. I use my WR for strictly motocross, no off-road and the stock forks even after several revalves bottom on just about everything.
  2. dirt addict Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 cr125
    icebergstu likes this.
  3. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    The forks off the 250f &yz125 are shorter than the yz250 & yz 450f just so ya know.
    icebergstu likes this.
  4. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    2014 te250r has the SSS forks, they're awesome.
    TXC will have them too, so you can get the whole front end swapped if need be.
    icebergstu likes this.
  5. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    You sure Rabs???

I thought they are AOSS not SSS. AOSS are the same as 2004/05 YZ's

"The AOSS and SSS visually look identical, but the internals differ. The SSS stuff is the speed sensitive tech like Showa pioneered or so I've been told."

Here's a pic of AOSS (top) and SSS

[IMG]

Stu
    juicypips likes this.
  6. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    The SSS forks are really good, and I wouldn't hesitate to switch to them.

However, if you're bottoming on everything even after several revalves, something is wrong. Your tuner should fix them for free, or he should no longer get your business.

If you're comfortable opening up the forks, post up what's in there for valving and maybe we can help.

You could also try just changing the oil level, but I don't know if that is going to help enough.
    icebergstu likes this.
  7. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    Hey stu, how's it hanging brother.
    Yeah, cc, SSS kayaba.

Apparently, only one year of Yamaha (05) got aos forks, all rest were SSS.

Edit, technically, they're the same, just updated from 06 onwards as 05 were a bit different on Yamaha but yeah, all cc are same (aos, air oil seperate) .
    Great going fast, just need initial valving revalved.

I managed to bottom all of my bikes forks but this one, still got a good 40mm left on statntions, reckon I need,lighter springs,otherwise, awesome, track great. Take hits, very smooth.

Pps, 13 models have Same as wr Yamaha OEM with nut on top, 14 te (last ones) and TXC had the cc sss forks.
    icebergstu likes this.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I am playing with a 07 YZF450 yamaha right now with these forks revavled by TBT in Washington state (Dave) and WOW they are awesome. Some of the best forks I have ever used off road. Make massive root wads disappear. I have ridden a lot of TBT / Daves stuff and that guy can nail those forks for off road / racing. Very highly recommended.

[IMG]
    icebergstu likes this.
  9. Tommy V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas TXT280 trials
    So does anyone know for sure what year/ model Yamaha SSS forks will fit? I had an '06 YZ250 with SSS forks done by Factory Connection. They were really good and i would love to try them on my 300. Dont want to waste $ on revalving stock forks if they will never be great.
    I swear by the '98 RM conventional (not upside down) forks I have on my '02 CR165. The fork boots make it look old school but they tip toe through nasty big rock gardens and never step out of line no matter what you hit.
    I'm tempted to try them on my brand new WR300, I would just need to have new spacers machined for the triple clamps.
    shrubitup and icebergstu like this.
  10. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    Is that DAVE MOSS you are talking about?
  11. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    People speak highly of the 50mm Zoch conventional forks too...I reckon Husky went from USD in the early 90's to Conventional in the late 90's then back to Zoch 45's in the early 00's.
  12. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    Ive just re-sprung and gold valved my AOS's and they are spastic!!! Rebuilt the SACHS and reshimed it too. So PLUSH!!! My average speed would be 30kph at the most though as I only really ride tight single and rocky, rooty, hills.

The traction I get off the rear now is a very noticeable and marked improvement!!! We softened up mid on the rear and with the new spring (CANNON RACECRAFT) its beautiful.

The front we softened up the initial hit which is why its like riding a big sponge. Will spend the next few rides mucking around with the clickers to get it perfect. (Front is at 9 clicks out on compression and 12 clicks out on Rebound.)

Oh Yeah...while I am on it...I always get confused with the rear clicker settings up top.

Is inside clicker high speed and outside (LARGE) clicker low speed?

Can you post up what you are clicked at. I am about mid way out on both. Is there any rules? I was thinking harder High speed helps you mono logs better??? Im a bit in the dark as to a general rule of thumb...
  13. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    The big knob is high speed, the small clicker in the middle is low speed. The small clicker is actually just an adjustable bleed (like the forks), so it sort of affects everywhere.

Harder high speed can help with bottoming resistance on jumps and drops, but too much will make it harsh ("kick") on big rocks and logs and stuff. Harder slow speed can help with wallowing via more firmness, but can also make the bike pick up too much trail trash.

I went a lot softer on my shock revalve, was worried it would be too much but I really like it in the woods.
    icebergstu likes this.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  15. Motovet45 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300
    I was probably being a little dramatic saying I bottomed on everything, I had a decent setting but bottomed on the smallest of jumps so I added 10cc's to help with the bottoming. It didn't really help, the faster and harder I hit things the harsher it got. I made the mistake of putting in Gold Valves and the recommended stack from RT, it was worse than the best setting with the stock valves. I love riding this bike and I'm hoping the SSS forks work out. I have a 2014 KTM 450sx with N10s valves from Nost and they are absolutely the best I've ever ridden.
  16. GMP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    '13 Beta 300RR Racing
    YZ125,YZ250F - 935mm axel ctr to cap top
    YZ250, YZ450F - 945mm
    '08+ have newer lugs with smaller carrier mount hole centers
    Braking #POW106 carrier works with Nissin caliper and 260mm rotor
    '10+ YZ450F, '12+YZ250F have 54mm upper like Husky, but not sure about lug offset. If offset the same as the older forks then that would be the way to go, no clamps needed.

KYB SSS are just easy to valve and make work well, on all bikes.

Marzocchi PFP 48s are exactly the same size as a Husky KYB CC fork on a '12 TXC. Even the Husky caliper carrier bolts up. May have to shim it to adjust offset and make wheel spacers but its close.
  17. Motovet45 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300
    Does the Braking POW106 work on the 06 SSS forks to fit the Husky caliper?
    What will the 10mm difference in height affect? Handling?
  18. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    Great, thanks for the advice!!!
  19. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR

The 06-07 fork had the old/larger caliper bolt pattern so if that bracket is meant for the 08+ it won't work.

Plus I believe it is just meant to be used with the Nissin caliper for the larger disk of the Husky, not to swap the Brembo caliper on it.
  20. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Out of curiosity, did a tuner do the gold valves or did you do them yourself?

Edit: Never mind, I remembered this old thread: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/husqvy-wr-300-on-motocross-track.34480/page-2

In that thread you said that the gold valves were a success, but I guess that your impression of them has changed. I think that your valving could be made a lot better...