KTM bike sale numbers - First half of YR2014

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by ray_ray, Sep 4, 2014.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I'm sure these guys are happy with these numbers; I'd like to see a breakdown of the specific bikes sold.

--

KTM continue to break sales records with a huge improvement in bike sales in 2014. Check out the information from the KTM website.
    70,469 bikes sold and increase in revenue to 410.3 mio. EUR
    • Sales: 70,469 vehicles / +27.8%
    • Revenue: 410.3 mio. EUR / +17.6%
    • EBIT: 33.6 mio. EUR / +82.6%
    • Headcount increased by 204 to 2,053
    In the first half of financial year 2014, KTM AG achieved the highest sales and revenue in the company’s history for this period of time, with the brands KTM and Husqvarna. KTM sold 70,469 bikes worldwide. This means an increase of 27.8 % to prior year.

http://www.mxlarge.com/2014/09/04/16000/
  2. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Supposedly KTM's top sellers are the 300 2 strokes and 350's by far. Does this include the Indian company's sales? I don't know if they get to use KTM's name or their products just rebadged.
  3. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would think they count the Indian numbers, the last time I saw numbers they were included. India is probably where the majority of their growth is.
    LandofMotards and Motosportz like this.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Could be ... I'd guess their QTRLY report for shareholders has more specific numbers ...
  5. bearorso Husqvarna
    AA Class

The last full sales year I saw for KTM, was just under 124,000 bikes. The year prior, was just under 108,000.

So, if we go by just the 1/2 year increase, doubled, to 141,00, I see a pretty even increase in sales.

I wonder how much of these increases is through the addition of of Berg (previous additions to, over the years of the 'Berg ownership)) and then Italian, and 'Austrian' Husky sales, and the India made Mini Dukes? The main increase, Will be from the Indian made Mini Dukes. I've been a bit surprised by the relatively (well, not for KTM) small sales for the 125 /200 KTMs - the last I saw, albeit not the most recent year, was just above 8,000 for the 125 / 200s. Though, I think that was with only a few months of sales, of those models, in that particular year. Now, 8,000 extra bikes, is a fair percentage increase for a brand that had finally got over the 100,000 mark, that year - those 8,000 plus were the sales that got them the 'over 100,000' bump, that had KTM get a few hundred bikes in front of BMW, that year - 2012, I think it was.

So, yes, KTM are increasing sales by significant percentages - for them. It gives them , probably, an equal to a few weeks of Bajaj sales, and a few days of Hero Motorcycles production / sales, so, it's all relative. Next time you go to a huge footy stadium, or a nascar oval, thiink how the total spectator facilities / capacity is bigger than the total sales of this "Giant Killer', that is KTM. I'm just offering a realistic perspective, for those that rave about KTMs sales success.

I don't doubt, especially with their Baja production facilities, and their CKN facilities with CFMoto in China, that they can get to their hoped for sales of 200 / 250,000 bikes in the next 4 to 5 years. Hell, if they chose to get more bikes made in India, they could sell far , far more. A simple, basic bike such as the 2t FR250, made in India, could give a bike that is far better than the typical TTR230 etc, at the same or lower price - not the $10,000 on road that it has been here in OZ, which has lead to low sales, and it's removal from the OZ market for 2015. For a price comparison, the Duke 390, in OZ, on the road, sells currently for around $7500/ $7700, (or less) I think. The Indian made 125 / 200 and 390 Dukes I've checked out in OZ, are very fine, well made bikes. Their warranty rates, have been in line with the KTM standards for their Austrian made bikes. The FR250, and the 4t FR350, are less complicated bikes than Dukes, so making them in India, could give both a far more affordable customer price, plus a larger profit margin for KTM / their Dealers. It would probably knock of a couple of grand from the US retail on those bikes, easily. Cripes, the Indian made 'Bybre' brakes, are many levels above the crap Formula Brakes on the FRs - brakes not fit for use on a DH bike, in my opinion.

But, of course, there will be chorus' of people who "will never buy an Indian made bike", I daresay.

KTM / Husky are doing OK, and they will do better as they move into more markets. But be wary of thinking they are something, they are not, relative to the World Motorcycle Sales Markets.
    water racer likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    All very true. Also true is that they are successful, growing, buid very desirable motorcycles, are marketing geniuses, and support and race and win at the top levels. Everything is small in relationship to other things. Earth is but a spec of dust.
    Norman Foley and LandofMotards like this.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You make alot of good and relative points with re-guards to other bike companies for total bike number sales as ktm is spec in total sales ... Here's a look at what Bajaj, as an example, is advertising on their site ..

bajaj_products.jpg

I don't see any dirt bikes ... air cooled 70s technology on display with a couple modern brand names on the far right ... Future growth, (5-10 ys ahead?) in dirt bike sales here could be very big. Since no dirt bikes appear here, a company could come into this market with low-end, mid, and high-end bikes and set the pricing scale and replace many of the street riders with dirt and DS bikes ...Here's another clue that might be true --> these guys do not know how to build a quality modern dirt bike and KTM is here to help ... Even if that means buying another brand and pimping out their design ...
  8. bearorso Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think a few of the 'Pulsar' models use the 125 /200 Mini Duke engines as their base powerplant.

Yes - you don't see Dirt Bikes. And yes, Dirt Bike sales could be very, very big

I've written / said, for years now, all we need is for a poofteenth, of a poofteenth ( repeat ever onwards) of the rapidly rising middle classes in India, China, Asia, South America - THE growth markets , not our largely declining, or, if we are lucky, moribund, 'Western' markets - to get interested in motorcycles as recreation. It would make the 70s boom in the (basic) Dirt Bike market look pathetic, in size. It's just one of the reasons I put forward the logical idea of the Freeride models to be made in India. They'd be near perfect, high quality / far better performing entry level dirt bikes, than what is offered by big(ger) companies, and the price to us in the established markets, would plummet, perhaps giving our dirt bike markets a real shot in the arm.

There have been pictures of a Motard using the Mini Duke base chassis and engine - there's another very affordable way of getting a modern, DT / XT / XL / KL/ TS etc 'Dirtbike' out there into new and existing markets. Just spoked wheels, of more appropriate sizing, and slightly longer suspension, and Bob's your Uncle. Here's an often seen picture of that Motard:

[IMG]

Some may recall, in one of the earliest interviews with Pierer (never get his name right - I also alway mess up Pit Beirers name) given to Alan Cathcart, he emphasized the Husky brand name as being something of very high value for emerging markets - and, he didn't just mean as Dirt Bikes. Though, he also very prominently mentioned Huskies 2t tech they were said to have been developing - so many variations of the whole Husky / KTM / KTHusky story...............
  9. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Husqvarna has always to me been, a quality (not high not top tier not mega expensive) QUALITY brand from europe that competed directly with the japanese in dirt bikes, and kick all of their asses for 10 years building supermoto. Then bmw hiked the prices up on the late models, then switched platforms and screwed the pricing up again trying to compete with ktm. And now they are just overpriced ktm bikes.

Bring back quality, good performing, AFFORDABLE bikes! They need to get back in line, build a 250/450/510 bike using the same chassis and make them street legal. I cannot believe manufacturers have different, chassis, efi systems, and more for different cc bikes and such. Why not build one unique chassis with multiple cc engine offerings, that utilize 75-80% of the same parts?

They build 20 different models of the similar stuff that nothing crosses over on.