Ktm 300 Tpi Demo

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by LandofMotards, Jan 7, 2019.

1. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Exit Tours (site sponsor) had a 2stroke/vintage ride day at the local offroad park. They also had a regional KTM rep that brought out his personal 2019 300 TPI. I think most everyone here gets how they handle so I'll just skip all that and talk about the motor. I'm a novice class racer but I will say that the A and B guys all thought the same of the bike. We spent a ton of time talking about it lol.

The bike pulls no matter how much you screw up. It still has that 2 stroke hit but it is smooth as hell. I think it was a little soft off the bottom, more like my sherco 250. I'd say overall, it felt somewhere between a 250 and 300. One other thing that was noticeable us when I'm on a dirt road connecting to the fun trails, the carved 2 strokes always want to let off or lurch forward, you can ride a constant throttle the whole time like a 4 stroke.

Being a 4st guy most of my life and spending the last few years on a 2st, this bike was a game changer. It has the ease of use like a 4st but not enough that you lose the 2st fun factor. Also, the first time I've ridden the new ktm based 2 strokes (17+) and that counter balanced motor is awesome! Would that be the reason I'd switch? No, but I hope every other manufacturer takes note. I never considered myself overly sensitive about vibes but it's something you notice a lot more after riding these.

If they make an XC/TX version, I'd buy one in a second.

Here's some pictures I took and one that kind of shows the terrain we were riding on.
    FB_IMG_1546878587814.jpg FB_IMG_1546878442312.jpg FB_IMG_1546878428729.jpg
    Dirtdame and robertaccio like this.
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Impressive feel the TPI has such a clean/lean feel. I rode the TE300. For mine (when I get it) I will install a GET ECU knowing that the clean/lean is actually down on power compared to the carbby machines (direct from PC dyno). I want that 300 beef feel. Great tech to ride, as for all the different engineering solutions....I think this one is probably the best, everything has limitations but this TPI set up seems to be the best, TM Racing is geared and cast up to do the same type of FI install on their 2T machines as well. Waiting to see what Beta will do.
    lankydoug and LandofMotards like this.
  3. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Curious how the other brands do it too. Sherco released their video in 2015 and silence since then. I really would like to try it with different mods, get some of that bottom end back. I really haven't looked into how people are modding these yet but I'm guessing it felt a little down on power because it meets euro emissions. Honestly, my expectations were pretty low going into it so I was really surprised.
    lankydoug and robertaccio like this.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Athena GET ECULMB for TPI
    LandofMotards likes this.
  5. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    TM is going to injection because of a euro requirement, they are staying with a carburetor for the USA market because they say the injection is not a performance advantage and adds a considerable expense that makes the MSRP harder to come up with. My TM en300 is as smooth as any 2 stroke bike I've ridden and noticeably faster that my friends new Beta 300 and GASGAS 300. In my opinion the electronically controlled power valve and the work that TM did to get the perfectly matching carburetor settings and cylinder port and head clearances is what makes their bikes so perfect. TM is a small enough company that you can actually call Ralph the TM importer and get direct answers on what's coming next for TM and advice on parts and service for your TM.
    robertaccio and LandofMotards like this.
  6. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    They all have to do in 2020 when Euro5 starts wouldn't they? Shite, BMW Husqvarna were testing a prototype 2T then!!
  7. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Thought l'd update this post rather than start a new post.

Recently bought a spanking 19 KTM 300 TPI (with sports map) and let me preface and say that l've always been brand loyal to anything BUT KTM and have ridden 2T's for 20+ years apart from a brief 3-4 year period on a 350 4T!!!

After 10-12hrs, l'd have to say that l really, really like this bike (love and ktm in the same sentence is hard to type :P) in comparison to my 90hr 17 Beta 300RR that l was riding!! I ran the bike in and rode all 12hrs at my favourite riding spot which is all technical, long hillclimbs and singles with the last 5 hrs swapping with my old 17 Beta 300RR - fair to say it's the same conditions for both bikes.
    If l were to compare the two l'd say:
    - The motor is super smooth and quite noticeable how less fatigue you are in comparison to the Beta motor - in fact it's not in the same league vibes wise such is how smooth the KTM counterbalancer motor is.
    - The wiring routing is top notch and no re-routing to clean up the junction points like on the Beta.
    - The TPI is just one crisp motor from cold to hot and any conditions, any throttle position whilst my previous 2T's were all well jetted, there are certain parts at The Pines that my previous 2T's either felt fat or lean which this bike doesn't - really don't have to worry about carb settings with direct/fuel/transfer port injection as there is no bog. Best part, l had the bike upside down, fuel pi$$ing out and with the Beta, it would take a few goes to start her up but the TPI, hit the down and boom, she starts straight up - hey, it still has all the characteristics of a normal 2T in that, fire it up cold and hit it and it will run like crap until its warm just like a carb 2T.
    - Oil injections well both bikes have them and not really an issue aside that the KTM wiring/system is much better than the closed circuit Beta system with those diode thingies - i'd be interested if the Dellorto oil pumps are the same.
    - Bottom end wise, l still feel the Beta has the edge in out and out bottom end grunt/pull in stock form (still no match to a Husky WR360), both bikes had their power valve springs at factory settings. Not saying the KTM has none as it's no slouch in this department, just that the Beta motor has a slight advantage of being more torque vs more linear KTM.
    - Power: The TPI has the edge on the Beta top end wise and probably a more snappier motor than the Beta and all l could bring this down to is how crisp the injection is compared to the carb. Although, if l was to ride the TPI in 5th/6th gear open stuff all the time, l would be sort out the idle/air screw issue as insurance it's running clean i.e that leaness feeling.
    - Engine braking: Maybe it's the extra inertia of the counterbalancer but the engine braking is next to perfect for my liking - it doesn't have that 'no engine braking' effect of a traditional 2T nor that pulling ya up of a traditional 4T - not that l don't mind no engine braking effect just so surprised at how unobtrusive the engine braking is on the TPI.
    - Brakes on this generation is much better than the 2013 Berg that l had, nice progressive feel rather than the 'traditional', touch the front and endo moments. Nothing wrong with the Nissin units on the Beta.
    - Clutch: both have brembo units but the Beta has a harder pull.
    - No contest when it comes to rear grab rails, the KTM is shite and feels quite filmsy compared to the Beta system...tugger strap required.
    - Beta's push button seat should be adopted by all manufacturers, that crappy 8mm bolts required to take the seat off is really outdated!!
    - KTM stock seat cover is really slippery in comparison to even a 19 Husky TE300i...OE seat cover l would not class as a gripper seat cover more like a slippery slope.
    - KTM stock seat base/foam feels like a sofa compared to the rock hard Beta seat base.
    - KTM stock Maxxis tyres are crap.
    - WP Xplor forks with the correct spring rates and quite good in stock valving form with a bit of deflection but light years ahead of the Sachs Beta units in terms of plushiness. This adds to how 'nimble' the bike felt in tight technicals even though l thought the Beta handles so sweet, the KTM WP's feels smoother. However, a revalve will be required down the track but not overly necessary at this stage.
    - PDS vs Link, well it's a non issue really!!
    - The TPI idle system is a little to be desired, I understand that it's done for emissions but that idle screw is an air screw and set from from stock (with the PV at factory), the idle is quite low and raising it makes the bike feel too lean as if it's like got half a pilot jet size leaner or lean needle with the clip height at the 2 position.
    - Map switch/Rain Map: Beta CDI settings is more pronounced than the KTM unit enough to say that there isn't much of a difference between the two modes on the KTM - plus the OEM switch is overly expensive and not a great idea being on top of the brake clamp especially if you have your brakes angled and throttle cable obstructing the switch.
    - Ergos: Me and the Beta never really gelled in terms of the cockpit and lower seat height. Although I got use to it, the first ride on the KTM and it felt home.
    - Weight: Yeah you might say the bike felt more wheeling in comparison to the Beta but riding it, you could not feel the difference - believe l had to pick up the TPI pointing downwards, off camber!!
    - Price: never thought l'd spend 14k on a dirtbike!!
    MODS:
    Next to nothing really aside for extra fuel filter to protect the injectors but l did this on my first and only 4 stroke.
    I will play around with the the PV settings to give me a bit more low down torque.
    GET, JD or PowerCDI ecu tuners? These units are a massive investment and something that personally, l don't really need at the moment. However, l will investigate the throttle body butterfly mod to raise the idle and reduce the dependence of the air screw.

Overall:
    Probably the best bike I've owned in terms of an overall package. Yes, l have a few little complaints but when l jump back on the Beta l can tell you that those complaints go away and l will want my bike back straight away!!
    The injection is a standout as the motor is so crisp at any rev range and at any time really. The ability to just pour fuel and go without worrying about jetting is such a pleasure - something that l always dreamt about in the late 90's and early 2000's that it's now a reality...how could you not buy an injected 2T!!!

Really at the end of the day, this bike gives me more confidence then the Beta did. It may be different for you but l would give these TPI bikes a go if offered a ride on one!!! [IMG]

PS. 2020 TE300i is in the pipeline so coming back to the fold soon:thumbsup:
    freejack, NH-JP and Dirtdame like this.