KTM 2018 250 XC-W

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Crashaholic, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I'm impressed with the fuel injection technology on this bike. I won't be surprised when problems arise as the first bunch hit the weekend warrior trail but I'm sure the problems will be overcome and FI will become the norm.

It has 2T oil injection system so you can fill up at a gas station like a 4T and ride off. Up to 5 or 6 tanks of gas before refilling the oil tank.

The FI sounds trick with no change in its fuel/air ratio regardless of changes in elevation. Another interesting claim about the FI is that its average 2T oil to gas ratio hovers around 80:1. They say it fluctuates from 60 to 100:1. I guess the FI is so efficient in managing all the carb adjustments and oil ratio that it doesn't take near as much oil as a carb.

The FI also creates excellent power management. Pretty cool.

2018_250-XC-W_TPI_90de_ri.jpg
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The ktm system injects into the transfer port so a separate system to oil the crank is necessary. If things go this way my hopes of retrofitting fuel injection to older bikes is not looking very promising. I read that the intent of the 2018 era tpi is to mimic the properties of what folks are used to. Kind of like the first year of disc brakes perhaps.
  3. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I think the aftermarket industry is creative enough to design an FI system that injects at the intake manifold. The 2T oil will still have to be mixed with the fuel but at least the benefit of custom fuel/air mix ratios and the FI's on-the-fly variable fuel/air mix.

Can't forget the benefit when you and your bike do several cartwheels during a crash, the bike would keep running so you can just pick it up and go. :banana:
  4. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Until they are direct injecting the fuel into the chamber after the exhaust port closes it's a just a load of wank .
  5. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Check out two stroke performance in AUS he's already got FI on his yz125
  6. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Pmsl. The air pulse pushes it back in the cylinder
    Why add another injector to the equation?
    That's the whole point and reason you have an expansion chamber.

Or are you trying to get them to delete the fat pipe ??
  7. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    The pipe doesn't work at all rpms so there is still unburned fuel blowing out the open exhaust port contributing to emissions and poor fuel economy
    Also expansion chambers operate on pressure waves not flow