Knees catch on tank shrouds??

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by robertaccio, Jan 5, 2009.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Been doing very solid training (lap after lap) on our (mini,sort of) special test track, that is endless single groove hairpin berms, only now in this arse way up and leg way forward, bike on its side am I getting caught up and under my tank shrouds, causing an occaisional low side tip over in the corner, probably because of the hinge edge of my Asterisks. I was thinking to run a line of red duct tape along the bottom edge of the shrouds to prevent this so my my knees can just slide up the sides,,,,also installing the IMS 3 gal tank would probably stop this as well.
    Anyone with other ideas? Besides not riding like this anymore!! This machine is so good with Les' magic/guru suspension:applause:, I just can't stop!!! R
  2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    Mabybe if ya wasnt 6'10" (kidding!) ....

I know of guys complaining about the new Yamaha's and getting snagged up in the body work, shrouds and they do just as you suggested...taped stuff up, boots, shrouds etc.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have had the same issue a time or two. The IMS tank does not do this and is much slicker / smoother. I actually like it over the stock tank other than the stabilizer issue

LTR rocks huh?
  4. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

I loved the way the shrouds made the bike look, but I often had my boots or pants catching the edge. I also hated the way they snagged branches and leaves.

All this was solved with the IMS tank! It is also why I didn't consider trying to attach to old shrouds to the tank like some have done.

It's the same old question: Brains or Beauty? :confused:
  5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well I have the IMS sitting there with PG(Halls) graphics (nice looking set) on it and Randy (GPR) sent me his IMS inspired version of the tell tale post assy for the previously installed GPR V4..... I guess it is (IMS) about to be installed,,prolly a good idea for some of the up coming events anyway,,,and it certainly needs to be subjected to some thrash and feel testing before those rides anyway,, you guys got me, another weekday eve project!! Thanks for the inputs.
    And yes Les did his homework, I have less post ride pain except in my muscles, way more front end confidence, and I can sit in the twisties without getting jack hammered, he is not only a nice guy but he has these springers dialed in big time, and his fee/rate is very reasonable. R
  6. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I used to have that problem and then Rob Keith showed me he put some velcro strips under the shrouds to keep the tabs in and I tried it and it's kept them from coming out and snagging my pants. However, since I tried to install the IMS and now am back to the stock tank, I no longer have those tabs so there's nothing to grab.
  7. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Installed IMS nat with Halls Pg graphics

Well its mounted, info
    1) 0 clearance for GPR modified IMS tank post it touches the tank, I filed a slight bit of tank material then filed the aft of the pin retainer sleeve flat. It is now a non issue.It does not press into the tank, it only rests against it.
    2) As mentioned on other threads the 2 rear tank bumpers are floating above the frame, the tank must be sitting on the frame backbone, I call it good as is , but I will space the bumpers down to touch the frame as intended to relieve some of the load just to find a closer to perfect fit.
    3) I cut the top of the rad conveyers as required, I have concerns for all the brush that will accumulate between the tank and upper shroud,,oh well.
    NOTE I did do a suggested thing at the rear of the shroud, instead of cutting it flush with the flat section of the tank, I left @1" overlap and bent the overlap in so it reats against the tank and kind looks neater and form fits better.
    4) I use evo foam in my tanks so that is installed as well (PM if ya want 411)
    5) Filled tank will what fuel I had @ 1/2 tank no leaks so far,,it will need some thrash testing!!!
    Thanks members for all your info/inputs,,,,I can see that not having shrouds will prevent the getting caught up under the shrouds effect. And although some have esthetically installed shrouds on their tanks and they look super nice I know that they would be torn off in 15 mins on our first singletrack adventure. Go Cafe Husky !!!:thumbsup:
  8. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

I liked your idea about the red duct tape better. :D
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am a OEM tank believer,,,,,don't get me thinkin let's see tape/epoxy/glue/sealant...........just stop riding all together...........