Klim vs Arai helmet?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by firecrotch, Nov 13, 2010.

1. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Everyone who has an Arai raves about them. Dont know anyone with a Klim helmet. I am hot blooded and wanted either one. Any opinions/experience with both on which is better for cooling? I like the price of the Klim but people seem to rave about the arais so...?
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have owned both, had the Arai, good helmet, lasted well, top vents got removed by limbs ASAP. Have the vented Klim now. Love it. Comes with two inner liners (vented and not vented), an extra visor, and the nicest helmet bag i have ever seen. Love the helmet, fits great, the venting works VERY well, much better than the Arai. The little lips on the rear vents get ripped off, I glue one back on with gorilla glue and it will never move again. Still vents fine without. I have not warn it tons to longevity is still a ??? I feel the Klim is a better helmet especially if you are looking for cooling. I would suggest gluing the vent lips before you loose one if you ride in a lot of low trees etc. Have had this issue with any helmet i have owned that has top vent (most do)

K
  3. I really want a Klim for summer! That being said I have an Arai, very comfy helmet but doesn't ventilate great and as Kelly said the plastic vent pieces will be gone in no time if you ride in the trees. I just bought an HJC CLX 6 and absolutely love it and it cost a quarter of what the Arai cost.
  4. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I can give you a Klim v. Shoei comparison. As far a quality of build I say they're equal, both top notch. Both were relatively light. Like Kelly said, the Klim vents broke off very quickly (but I am tall and tend to hit more things above me). But that doesn't seem to compromise ventilation, it is still the best ventilating helmet I've ever owned and by a good margin. As for head shape, I'm a Shoei over Arai guy all day long. And the older Klim's fit me perfect (maybe it's an '09?). The only reason I probably won't get another Klim is because they changed the shape in the newest models and it doesn't fit me well any more. I tired one on at the Klim reps house and was shocked it didn't fit. He's the one that told me they changed the shape.

I'm not brand loyal and my next helmet will come down to fit first, then price second. Another brand I like is Airoh, but it's pricey to get one here from Europe. My best-good race buddy has one and it is the lightest helmet I've ever held.
  5. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    klim.....is milk spelled backwards. :D

klim cans were used to tunnel out of stalag's.

am i way off topic yet?

and who'd wanna lid named after a milk tin. :confused:

ooo- something shiny in the corner! :eek:
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    put down the crack pipe and back away from the midget. :D
  7. spinkta boy Husqvarna
    A Class

I can speak to the Arai's safety record, as I have tested it twice in my riding career. First time, I fell about 5 feet straight onto pavement while trying to descend off a railroad bridge over a 2 lane road. The bike landed more or less on me and the handlbar end with handguard centerpunched the side of my head. Big chunk out of the helmet, no injury to the noggin. 10 years and obviously a new Arai later later, I was screwing around on a small oval track flat tracking an XR 100. It got away from me and it high sided me straight into the ground. Landed on my shoulder and my head at the same time. The shoulder was completely dusted. 3 surguries and a reconstructed artifical humeral head later it still doesn't work well. My helmet looked like a bear took a swipe at the top of my head. Again, no head damage. I have been pretty loyal to Arai for 15 years, but I have been contemplating a Shoei or Klim as the new Arai's just don't look nice anymore. Does anyone know how much less the Arai weighs compared to the high-end Shoei's and Klims?
  8. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    Wonder who makes the Klim? only 5 manufacturers in the World...
  9. Last Lap Husqvarna
    A Class

10. Stefan NZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA 701E
    As I'm in the market for a new lid, all this info is great. However the most important thing for me in a helmet is how loud (or quiet) it is.
    can anyone shed any light on this comparison? I currently use the Arai but considering the Klim as my next...