Juha Salimen to ride Husky (sort of...) in 2010

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by rodered, Jan 16, 2010.

1. rodered Husqvarna
    B Class

Juha will be riding a Hybrid motorcycle in 2010.

It is a BMW G450x engine in a modified Husky 450 chassis. The 2011 Husky will be based on that bike.
  2. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    not a modified husky chassis,...the new HSQ chassis for 2011 with the new HSQ engine,.....I mean the old BMW G450X engine

I'm actually excited about that a tad, we'll see where it ends up weight wise. I love the G450X engine and the whole counter shaft feature has it's pluses, but also it's negatives so it's not a win win feature, specially in WEC format apparently. My G450X is almost a full 8 lbs lighter then my TXC510 was and the G450X has street legal lights!

The G450X power plant is very smooth compared to the TE series and if they tweak the top end a tad it should be just as overly robust as the TE. They got a 480cc variant of the G450X making upwards to 58hp (speedbrain has had the conversion out for a while) and that's more then the HSQ 510 was putting out at 501cc. Fuel injection is very good on the G450X, so we'll see how it all pans out.

It will be interesting to see how long before an official announcement comes out of BMW or HSQ being how the cat is apparently out of the bag already. It's not Juha's style to be the blabbermouth, so I wonder if this is just a way to spin things up in the off season.
  3. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm gonna do a search and find "the quote", and my response. I really should start a psychic reader service. jk.

-----

As for a dual sport TE type bike, i can see this motor having an advantage. In places like rallys it might actually be a winner. Its gonna be a hit with the balding overweight mid life crises crowd...not that im not one of 'em.
    But if the TXC and TC have this motor, well: that duck wont hunt, that dog wont fly. The countershaft design alone sinks it for serious hare scrambles, MX, endurocross, whatever. No way to preload, no way to jump properly, and someone needs to tell ze germans.

Anyway--there is also a rumor, in germany, that BMW will sell Husky, so who knows. 6 months ago I read on here Husky wasnt gonna come out with a mini bike...time will tell.

TE with that overbuilt motor--might even buy one meself. TXC with that motor? I might take a closer look at the WR300. Or open up a Sherco mounted pizza delivery service in Cabo.

Anyone else think Husaberg and Yamaha are on to something. Even Ossa has a reverse motor. BMW is one of the largest machine making companies on earth, and a spare parts bike is the best they can come up with, after 4 years? The revolution has been called off.

im gonna post the quote. just wait a few days.
  4. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

I will never buy a Husky or any other brand with the G450X, engine is way too unreliable. If that's the new engine replacing the current husky 450 I will be looking at Yamaha or Husaberg to replace my TC450 this fall.

The gs450x is a failure why not just cancel the whole thing or sell it as a dual sport play bike. :confused:
  5. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:

The G450X is actually a great engine, very well designed and putting out more power then a 510!

I will say they might want to look at a little re-engineering in the valve train dept to get the same longevity as the HSQ's current DOHC, but the G450X is as good as anything else that's out there.

Y'all might be surprised with what they have tested suspension motor-wise and where the BMW style concentric style pivot actually works very well. Contrary to popular belief it does very well when set up for MX and it's a compromise to set it up soft and compliant yet resilient to big hits for enduro use as suspension set-up is key and no room for an incorrect set-up. There have been BMW G450X works bikes that did not utilize the concentric pivot/output, but due to the design were offset by only 10-15mm (not possible on other platforms) raced in the last few WEC's last year. So the G450X engine does not have to be set up with such an output shaft/swingarm pivot set-up.

Time will tell, we'll start seeing what they're racing late spring it sounds like and by early summer they will have official announcements.
  6. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

Too many engine failure stories out there IMO. It's a an engine with nothing very special to begin with. I can't use all the power my tc450 puts out anyways so more power than a 510 does me no good.

Even if BMW can convince me it's bullet proof it's still a deal killer for me. There are other options when it comes to 450's that are way more attractive.

They should ditch that idea as soon as possible. Sounds made up by some accountant who does not ride. :censored:
  7. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    Juha will be riding a new BMW in 2010.
    About the frame, they used technology from Husqvarna.
    How do you know that the 2011's will be based on that bike? I think Husqvarna would loose too many customers/sales if they took this path.
  8. TCP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Variety is the spice of life and the more engine choices we have the better. Let's be realistic, it's not likely the BMW engine as we know it is going to infiltrate the entire Husky lineup, espicially in just one year.

From posts on this and other forums, it sounds like there is a market for smoother running dual sport bike and IMHO it sounds like a good business decision for Husky to go after it. They know that to fight their way back into the market as a major player, they have to 1) win races. 2) build bikes customers are asking for 3) have price competitive products 4) strong dealer network. (you choose the order of importance). I say bring it on Husky, let's make some pumpkin pie outta KTM.
  9. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

I don't see how you can take parts off one the biggest flop of a dirt bike and think you can convince customers that it's any good for your next generation 450 line.

I can see accountants with an inventory full of the bmw parts with all the tooling going to waste though...Husky marketing guys meanwhile pulling there hair out on this news. :lol:
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The current husky 310/450/510 motor has been around since 04. Time for a lighter smoother replacement. Hope it is not the BMW motor but if it is hope they make it good. Time will tell.
  11. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'd like to see 450\510 etc. based on the new 250 design. Borrow the beemer FI if you must, but stick to what works, as far as Husky engineering goes. :thumbsup:
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Moving to Newsroom
    Bike Industry: press releases, magazine articles, rumors...
  13. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    Excuse me ,but don't they test run these motors before they're sent on their way:confused:? Someone would have to be sleeping ,or the motor was built on a late Friday or it was never bench tested :excuseme:Sh.t happens,I know ,I am a human and so are those people who build them.Anyway ,BMW can do great things with their 'Brand' but start f...'ing with the Husky without more testing on engine/components and labeling it a Husqvarna and you'll see how fast people will look to another brand. The Husky will need to evolve but I am not sure the BMW'ish components of today is the way to go.
    I guess this ol' fart whose been on Huskys only since the early 70's,is getting tired of other companies coming in,taking over ,saying all this happy horsesh.t how they are going make things happen and, well, you know the story by now:banghead:.
    Have a good day
    :ride:Guscycle

[/QUOTE]
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    imho,
    BMW are the owners of the Husky marque, BMW builds and designs wicked motors, including the new G450X motor (well it's BMW designed but built overseas). this new motor will logically be the next gen Husky 350-450 motor, remember the SMQ from 08 EICMA it was a Husky (thingy) with the new BMW motor.
    The current model 450 510 family motor is now long in the tooth is quite overbuilt (read heavy duty) is of very conventional design and it was the world enduro champ (with Anders) all the way back in 03 and if I am correct has been around in EU since at least 02(??) as a prototype (had to have been for Anders to P1 in 03).

It makes BMW biz sense to use the new tech G450X motor in the Husky badged machines.

But all of this is just rumor and conjecture, we will all know for sure very soon (but it is fun, all this thought process!!) my 2cents

me I am just hoping to find a new tech 350-400cc engine in a well balanced chassis with well dialed in FI, an EU brand with top level equipment...........with Husqvarna on the tank!!
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    wowo..all this sounds a little scary....I keep reading the term 'it makes good business sense' in all these threads... ever worked at a large company? Bean counters make the 'business sense' in these companies and it only has to do with $s ;( The term 'its best for the customer' is what I always like to here.

They just built that light weight 250 4st..You would think this might be pursued for the future, but it might make good business sense to stop here. :( I don't know how much you guys know about large companies such as this bmw, but they can chew through money and then just walk away as if it was popcorn.

This off-road bike racing thing BMW is doing with buying husky and buying all these top riders and combining these 2 bikes they own is starting to sound a little strange ... Have they fallen on there faces so far or have they won anything yet? If these bikes are so bad, why are these top riders coming to BMW and riding a hybrid bike?

Hope something good comes out of all this and not a one-off freak of nature bike for bmw's off-road adventure and only a foot note in time. Husky is starting to sound like a slut company, just passed around because of its name value ...
  16. TCP Husqvarna
    AA Class

While I can't speak for the others Ray_Ray, what I mean by business sense is that they should do things to attract a wider customer base. For example, as you mentioned, the new 250 engine and the engineering costs involved. I'm sure those costs won't "pencil" for quite some time, but in the meantime it shows that Husky desires to grow the brand in areas that they needed to , and remain focused on and update products for existing customers.Example: (TC) their first real attempt to get into small bore MX and attract younger riders (TE/TXC250) suits a wide range of riders from teenagers to "more mature" riders that don't need/want a 450 weight/power or may even be leaving their 450 behind. Financial sense? maybe/maybe not. Good for the company and riders? Yes. Overall good business sense? If you have the money for R&D and want to secure market share, Yes.

New engines are the lifeblood of a motorcycle company and although some are not fans of BMW, IMHO in the last few years they have developed some INCREDIBLE motorcycle engines. If they were just counting beans, they would have never approved release of the CR50 a bike that currently can't even be sold in the U.S. and will be very difficult to be profitable with. But again, trying to get a wider audience exposed to the brand. At the end of the day we can only hope that it does end up being what is best for the customer (and over the long haul, I think they do too!)
  17. Klas Husqvarna
    A Class

BMW have ordered a new bike, that will work in the racingworld. where Juha work and live. Simple as that. It is no secret that BMW 450 havent get the racingresult they needed. Even if they use one of the greatest rider in the world.

Husqvarna has built that hybrid for BMW. With a normal chassie etc. But with BMW engine. of course it is importent for BMW to use there own engine. So it can be named BMW.

But i should be very suprised if Husky use the BMW engine in the future. There is some problem to. For an exampel serius clutchproblems.

Best regards Klas
  18. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Klas, you hit the weak spot of that motor, that fast spinning end of the crank clutch. Lets all sit back and watch the show unfold.

I do indeed hope for a new family of Italian designed X-lite series of 350-450 motors for the Husqvarna brand. If BMW regards Husqvarna like KTM regards Husaberg that is the way it should end up, with independent ideas but shared engineering designs (yes?).
  19. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    There has been a lot of real world r&d put into the clutch, cylinder head and efi last year which lead to increases in performance and reliabilty, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a lot more of the g450x platform!
  20. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

My oh my, now we're getting into the good stuff! :lol:

I know very little about the BMW motor but what I do know is that the countershat (yes, misspelled intentionally, indicating past tense of "shit":D) position isn't good for woods suspension. And the little I know of the clutch makes it suspect from the start. They tried to do something different and I give 'em kudos for that, but it hasn't worked. And it sure seems like they're trying to salvage something now.

When the top two riders in the world verbally trash the bike and one of 'em walks away from a large contract, it says a lot to me.

Where this will end who knows :excuseme:......glad I ride a 2 stroke:thumbsup: