Joining sad owners of broken 630...for a while,SWM cam compatibilty?

Discussion in '610/630' started by ceevu, Oct 11, 2019.

1. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Elefant, husaberg fe501
    My bike stopped charging in midle of ride. Voltage stayed in 12.0-12.1 for way home,so it still had something happening. Xenon light was on for 60km...(and battery is in end of its life)
    First reg/rec,all good. but stator wires were grounded. Allso from first plug after engine. I found a tiny(size of match head) piece of iron from stator,it had banged some coils to ground,and ended 2/3 charging. No missing parts under left cover,so valve cover off,and there it was,missing tooth in intake cam gear. No for searching new cam... SWM is much cheaper,and i believe it should be the same,since part number is same. Local distributor ads S in front,but some international sellers sells it with husky number. Too bad gear is not changeable,but now i have one practise part,if i ever need to change bearing...
    So if you have changed to swm cams, i would like to hear results,failure or success?
  2. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    My info is that the cams are the same. Haven't used SWM cams but did use a crankshaft from SWM RS650 with no issues. If you could get a broken/worn camshaft, the gear isn't that difficult to remove with a press.
    ceevu and Norman Foley like this.
  3. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I tought about gear swap too,but no gears available just now,as far as i know...That needs somekind jig, to get timing right but thats doable for price difference between scrap cam with good gear and all new.. Wouldnt trust markings in there(changing gears between cams),few degrees does make a difference in power...
  4. MonoShocker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Gran Canyon
    I apologize if I'm stating the obvious that you have already tried but I have always had luck with Halls Cycle in springfield illinois getting the parts I need. They are my first call, got me the cam and other parts i needed for the TE610E some time ago. If the parts are out there I would bet on Halls to have them, or can get them. https://www.halls-cycles.com/we-sell-accessories-and--parts call them if you haven't already.
    KayDubbya likes this.
  5. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi
    First,i did take my chances and ordered swm cam,sure hope it is same...Customer orders,customer pays...Mirror tells who to blaim if there is something wrong ;)
    Postage fees+tax makes it not economical to order outside from eu as long as prices are in this level. I have this far been able to get everything needed from here (Finland) also,hope it is not changing anytime soon ;) So up to ten days promised delivery,we will see how long it really takes+how long it might take to have time to assemble whole thing back. Stator has already arrived, used ebay purchase from italy. I am in no hurry,its raining almost everyday,and temps hover around 5c...And my 610 still runs like it should :)
    Good thing is local swm importer (mp-racing.fi) had also italian era huskys,so both parts are under the same roof.

Update,it works :) . And has same power as it has previously,measured by butt dyno... Sprocket is slightly different,swm as cast center,husky machined but that doesnt mean anything as long as it works,maybe few grams heavier if anything.
    Parts arrived pretty soon,SWM cam,rest was husky. Clutch springs and few bearings,including third crank bearing in stator housing. Bearings were skf,and local bearing shops asked same or more for those. Easy swap with welder and sliding hammer (made from gm 5.7 diesel piston pins and pipe...)
    Too bad that roads are icy,even when they look like gravel...now i have vented klim gear...but bike had only few scrathes,nothing that needs repair.
    Speedometer did die while bike was "under construction",so that needs to be replaced. I found water inside the meter... Koso has failed previously in another bike,but other cost twice...
    MonoShocker likes this.