JD Tuner V.S Power Commander V.S. IBEAT? Please Help

Discussion in '610/630' started by 630 driver, Jul 20, 2012.

1. 630 driver Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sms 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, suzuki, yamaha
    Hi all, I have a 2011 SMS 630 and after reaching 2500 miles I must say I am very disappointed. I read about the power up kit and since I like to do things myself I purchased the resistor from Radio Shack and took the bike apart just to find the bike came with the mod stock. After finding this I am even more disappointed. My 450 Yamaha was a beast compared to the tame 630 I feel like I bought a 250. Anyway, enough with that. My question is about tuners? I talked to the dealer and at $75 an hour with a three hour min I would rather purchase IBEAT. I also talked to the Gentleman at Semco about IBEAT but it sounds like you can do anything with the powercomnmander that you can do with IBEAT. Also the JD tuer at $195. Sounds like a great deal but I have not found anyone who has done a comparison. Can someone please guide me with facts as to which direction I should go. I am not against spending money but saving money is always a plus. Thank you all, my name is Justin by the way.
  2. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
  3. 1lunger Husqvarna
    AA Class

Find an ECU off a TE or get the ECU with the arrow pipes. The SM ECU is nothing compaired to the TE version! +1 on the JD tuner!!!
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The PC-V is active and adapts and costs more and is complicated. The JD tuner is simple and adds power but is all manual and kinda guess work without a O2 sniffer. In the end what these need is more fuel and free-er breathing to make power. Past that the power become much more expensive. Keep in mind the 610/630 has a huge crank and is made for all day long power not ripping quick power like a CRF450. Different mission. That said yo might never be real happy with the 630. I had a real nice 610 and liked it a lot but know exactly what you are talking about. My TE511 is actually way more fun on the road due to EZ and endless wheelies that were real hard to get on the 610 with the slow reving power. The 02 TE570 on the other hand had both the quicker ripping power AND the long stroke feel, it was a beast.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The new TR650 is said to have 60 hp stock and boatloads of torque. While it is not the right bike for everyone it might restore some of the fun.
  6. 630 driver Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sms 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, suzuki, yamaha
    Thank you very much for the quick responses. I am a little confused though, I have tuned a lot of cars but never had to tune FI on a bike. If I get the TE ECU does it alter my timing curve? I just would like to save money by getting a PCv or JD tuner alone unless the combination is necessary. I was really hoping that the PCv worked more of the ECU, it means I will need to use IBEAT to calibrate the TPS :( I did not want to have a bunch of unnecessary equipment and software around the garage. I feel like every time I work on someones car I end up with manufacture specific tools and software.
  7. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    I'll bet 60hp is at the crank, will probably be ~50 at the wheel.

PC-V with out Autotune is "plug it in and ride" simple. I couldn't improve on Dynojet's preloaded map. So far I see no reason to buy Autotune for a stock bike.

8. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I've got the JD, flow-through stock cans and an opened airbox, each made a noticeable improvement with the JD being the biggest. I just recently bought a TE ECU from T_I_G_E_R on here, since he had the Arrow ECU. It made a big difference in grunt and throttle response down low, I'm still tweaking with the JD to get the top end back where it was. The TE ECU I got was never tweaked with I-beat, so I'm having to compensate more than before. My dealer, Upstate Cycle, sets the 3 levels in I-beat on the 630's to 103, 120 and 112, so that's 20% more fuel in the "pilot jet" area than factory if that tells you anything about how lean they are stock.
  9. DIRTBIKE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 CR 250, 98 WR 250 2T, 2011 LE140
    Not trying to hijack the thread but what exactly is the -beat, is it another brand of efi tuner or something else all together. I've heard you can only adjust the TPS with the I-beat, is this true also.
  10. gregjune Husqvarna
    C Class

Even Dynojet recommends their PCV to be dyno tuned after installation. I opted for the Autotune add on after running the PCV base map for a few months and I was amazed at how much the original map was off. I did happen to open up the airbox at the same time. However the autotune showed that the bike was running too rich and is was leaning out the whole midrange. After the autotune stabilized the adjustments, the power was so much cleaner and crisp. It used to feel like if you hit the throttle nothing would happen for a few seconds. Now its instant power. Its no rocket but I'm very pleased with the outcome. Also never have to mess with tuning again. Any new mods and it will adjust itself.
  11. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    iBeat is Mikuni's diagnostic software. It really shouldn't be included in the scope of this thread as it is not a tuning program. You can slightly tweak the fuel settings but very very minimal compared to the others.

Regardless of which tuner you buy the iBeat is still helpful unless you have a dealer nearby that will plug you in for cheap.

_
  12. 630 driver Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sms 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, suzuki, yamaha
    I am sorry if I mislead anyone by asking about ibeat. The dealer is over an hour away for me and it is $225 to have them adjust the TPS and tweak the fuel. I am looking for a tuner that allows TPS adjustment and fuel table adjustments. I feel like I am trying to find a purple unicorn. I have access to a dyno and have a wide band afr tuner so I am not so sure I want or need auto tune. Thanks again for all the information from everyone.
  13. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Just helped Gerald at upstate get his Ibeat back up and running, he was having computer problems. If you open your bike up as much as i have, it's a good idea to ibeat it at the dealer even if you're getting a tuner, otherwise you may run out of fuel adjustment in the mid-high range chasing more power. For a stock 630, we set ibeat fueling to 103, 120, 112 (l,m,h) and then i fine tune with the JD. It's a much happier monster now...
  14. 630 driver Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sms 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, suzuki, yamaha
    Thank you for all your help, I just ordered the PC-v and will post results when I get finished. I did find at the local Kawasaki dealer that a lot of guys are using Bazzaz fuel controlers ( http://bazzaz.net/ ). The guys at the track are crazy about these controllers. I downloaded the free software to see what the interface is like and it is very user friendly. Good luck to anyone else trying to bring life out of your 630. Also thank you for the information Motosportz. I did not take into consideration the crank. I did however take that into consideration when purchasing the bike due to many guys burning down the CRF 450 when used as a daily Supermoto commuting bike. I have found a lot of these bikes being parted out due to the cost of rebuilding the engine. Makes the 630 worth every penny for longevity.
  15. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175
    isnt it also going to weigh considerably more?
  16. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Yeah, OVER 400 FRICKIN' POUNDS... :mad:
  17. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175
    wow. really? i was thinking like 375
  18. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Everything I've seen shows the Strada at 404lb curb weight...
  19. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175
    well I was thinking 375 was too heavy so.. yea... ha
  20. T_I_G_E_R Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles: