Jarvis Hill -- Back to some basics of gnarly riding

Discussion in 'Other places' started by ray_ray, Oct 30, 2014.

1. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    (2x) 2013 TE310R's & 2014 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs
    At forest trail speeds you won't bend a rim, but in the wide open desert, yes. I rarely exceed 33 mph in the woods, except on fire roads :-)
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    First, you guys are hardcore riding in that snow ... That turtle move was a little funny.

My GPS device will do MPH and most of my riding is < 33MPH ... I try not to go any faster than that on the hardtop for sure ... Dirt roads I might hit 40...I'm just not gonna wring the TCs necks on straights .. 1 MPH is alot sometimes on a trail ..

--

Next, dropping the air did help ... Not exactly sure where the PSI is but I might can do a little more there to help ... I've got a 19" on there now sized 110\90 ... Maybe that 90 is too short a sidewall because I've had one break off the bead here ... I hope to get a 18" rear on and I'll feel alot better about getting the air down to 10lbs or something... This and ride the rear tire is what I very much need to keep in the forefront .. along with the momentum\speed ...

First run at the bottom was ok .... Not what I wanted but I did power over the first section but then lost concentration or something towards the top ... That bottom is gonna be an issue for a while apparently so, next practice run, I'm also gonna divide the climb into 2 parts... Meaning after the initial section, I gotta recover and do some good work finishing up the mid and last section going over the top and quit being such a wussy there...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGUcVE3V22U

You can see the locals are clearing the road to the right side at the bottom ...might be something I can ride over there also....There's a couple pretty big step-ups are close to belt high ...
    -

Second attempt ... I was lucky enough to catch what I think is a flame-out... I was feeling good, the bike was lined and ready to hop that last rock line and just popped off the clutch entirely I guess or it just croaked under that load ... Anyway, I crawled on out and powered over the top...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-mKjK1BTtY

--
    Other attempts are no better ...I was spreading good will also ... That family lives at the bottom of that hill and did not wanna just ride back and forth and not be social. So I brought a bottle because I knew we couldn't communicate really so drinking is the next best thing. I was just going to give them bottle and not drink till I was finished but I could not refuse their offer but I did limit it to 2 drinks on each break ...
    100_2182_result.JPG
    That stuff made me sweat like Johnny Stash under the big lights ...It missed my riding up some I think... I just react too slow after alcohol ... ESP on the clutch.

These guys are mango farms for one thing ... There's a guy up there with a ladder for support ...They link the trees up there if possible ...This was the Thursday before Ruby was coming across and its' path was unknown still ... The mountains got a lot worst weather than the coast lines here. The hill probably had lots of water run down it and the rocks should be very clean now.
    100_2184_result.JPG

--
    Overall, improvements were there and a new strategy for the MID and top parts needs to be implemented next ride over. If no rain, I should be able to get a few passes in this weekend maybe. Gotta stay off the bottle till the session is finished also.
    airrider likes this.
  3. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    (2x) 2013 TE310R's & 2014 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs
    Sounds like you had less tire spin this time>:applause:
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Even if it didn't look alot better, the traction felt alot better for sure and that flame-out moment, I though I was hooked and going :( ... It's hard for me to stay in the game in the critical moments as they start happening and that's another point I gotta get better at ... All the riding I'm doing now, I'm trying to ensure I have some weight on that rear tire and not just a lump sitting on the front forks so much ... Its not so easy to break that bad-style\habit.

In the process now of swapping rear tires now for the weekend ... There has been plenty of time for that shady stuff to have dried and I plan to be over SAT AM and do some more work there...Wet or dry, it's gonna be a practice time ...
    airrider likes this.
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Made back out for a few more trips up and down... Here's the tire I just found here, a FKR brand ..Looks like an old time knobby and nuthing fancy. So far so, it hooks up on this harder stuff and costs about 40% < of of the IRC price ... We'll have to see how long it wears and how well it hooks as it wears ... Rear tires are an area I do not have a cost effect solution for other than what I've posted on other threads out here. This tire here, can be my solution, but it has to last and maintain some traction along the way.

Don't have a working air gauge but I assure you, I had the air pressure low. Felt like it had almost zero air and I was riding on the sidewalls.
    100_2681_result.JPG
    So, no real traction issues out there today other than the wet smooth rocks that are gonna need some skill to get over..
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Attempt 1 today ...Pretty good and I got a good look at the top side and over the top ... I was a little disappointed at the effort there, but ok....it was a little rougher than I thought but nothing too bad ...

I'm still a little weak over that 1st rock section but it still felt better ... I'll have to put this section to rest as I'm ready to move on to a few other lines in this part of the climb.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5xeSdY-eI8

I'll try the lead-up portion to the right of where I'm riding now later this week or next ... looks pretty cool over in there but I just don't want to wear myself out in the portion before I get a little better at the stuff further up the hill.

--

Second attempt.

A little spooky and an amateurish-type move, almost heading back down the hill like that. I've tried hard the last few yrs to stop that move from happening but there it is again. My weight is back for traction and that might have been why the bike sort of was heading off where it wanted to go.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiBNQK_aK44

I did get a look at that line and step-up on the far left side where I parked. Looked Ok at the roots but I'll probably have to swing back to right pretty quickly to get to the top.

--
    Third attempt

Stunk up the lower section again but recovered and used what the bike had to get over the top ..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5xeSdY-eI8

--

I'll be back over there shortly ...