Jarvis Hill -- Back to some basics of gnarly riding

Discussion in 'Other places' started by ray_ray, Oct 30, 2014.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Found this small, short, technical, rocky uphill and liked the way it looked, felt it was safe, and it is just difficult enough for me to maybe start using as a training hill ... The name Jarvis is stuck in my head current from another thread on this out-of-world Off-road riding, so I named the final uphill and push over the top, Jarvis Hill.

I am hoping to include riding up this hill several times in the next few weeks in an effort to dust-off some of my ancient ST skills. Then maybe I can start trying some of the many different lines this hill has to offer for real fun ...

Here is my first attempt and it was a weak attempt and just got worse in the 2nd video when I made it over the top ... The mistakes I made here have been carried forward by me for yrs and I'm hoping this work I'm doing here will help me move forward.

Yes, this grade is alot steeper than it looks on cam.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_j5ythcTEg

Also, that road was graded up to the beginning of this video ... Not sure why this last part was not graded unless the workers did not have the correct equipment on hand to do the work. So, if I return and all this is smooth, I'm not gonna be surprised.

--

This push over the top was really bad also... When I stayed left, I had a couple lines to pick from AND that really bad lineis where I ended up in, crawling up that stone-rut ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpNc_m-LiBg

You can hear the bike bogging when I'm taking off here from a dead stop on the opening frames here; this should help relate the steepness of the climb ...
    airrider and Centerline like this.
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Pics always seem to flatten every thing out or at least the height of step-ups or step-downs are usually hidden. The line I took in the first video above is the easiest and would be called the riding line ... These pics will help show what some of those sections really look like ... Nothing too hard really and all totally do-able ... I'd like to be able to ride up this hill, using many different lines ..., And make it 9 out of 10 times without stopping.

JarvisHill_lowSide_result.jpg JarvisHill_result.jpg JarvisHill_roots_2_result.jpg JarvisHill_roots_result.jpg
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Moving past the initial roots section... Should be time here to regroup and build speed that will help for the final section and ~2 step-ups..
    JarvisHill_AfterRoots_result.jpg JarvisHill_Topview_result.jpg JarvisHill_Topview_2_result.jpg JarvisHill_Topview_4_result.jpg
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Couple more pics to try and add the proper prospective of the climb.
    100_1761_result.JPG 100_1764_result.JPG
    airrider, Centerline and Norman Foley like this.
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    should make an excellent training spot. looks fun, maybe a bit slippery?
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This clay dirt is a little weird...it can dry from mud to perfect traction in a couple hrs direct light or as in this case stay ~wet and slick for a month if it does not get any sunshine on it .. That first section is under the trees and yep, just a little slippery when the ground is that darker color ... Those rocks that look dark-greenish look are slippery also..

I went back over yesterday and made another pass up and down to get the GPS data...
    JarvisHill_chart.jpg
    Had a new knobby on and it helps some but knobbies can come up short in slippery rock sections...

--

Better climb on this attempt but I look like a rookie again and missed the line I need to take at the very beginning and was blocked ... :( ...

Little embarrassing but I did hit the last section section\climb with a little more speed and stayed right in the riding line and made it over ... It was just a little intimidating on the approach ... The line over the left side at the top looks easier and I hope to get over there this week ...

Going up .. Sun was wrong but you can still get a few good views of the terrain.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4rmMysS9yY

--

Coming down ... Sun was right to get a good view ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKqVdA3tomU
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  8. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    More coffee, more momentum! Kick a few stones out of the way and rip it up!
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yep ... The momentum thing again and a flame-out :( ... I hardly ever get a flame-out ... After I ride up it up once, without stopping, I'll go back and roll some of that bigger stuff out of the way to open up some of the other lines that are doable but blocked due to the rollers ... I gotta do truck work early this week but hope to get back over there before Friday ..
    Centerline likes this.
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR100, XR80, Yamaha YZ125/200
    dude you gotta weight the rear don't lift and gas push down and gas . no weight zero traction. seat bounce and gas on the down stroke.
    Jarvis says " ride the rear" watch lampkin climbing in erzberg all on the rear wheel, Dave knight loading the drive
    Centerline likes this.
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR100, XR80, Yamaha YZ125/200
    Jump around some from side to side, foot plant push off, cross seat etc. RPM load clutch hop, blow those stones right off the trail in a stone spray sandwich, tell that kid to move or risk shrapnel injury.
    that little bike will just rip up that thing use the rocks for traction especially the flat embedded ones, its like riding on pavement (quote from former world champ, nat champ, world trophy team winning rider , multi time ISDE gold medal and Dakar racer on a trail ride we did) "The Rocks Are Your Friends"

in other words OWN IT!
    Centerline likes this.
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm thinking that traction thing is one of (several) mistake I continue to make too often ... Its like I ride the bike in a pretty neutral position most times (and move around front to rear) but when I do a small steep climb like this, and I move weight to the rear for traction, its like I loose most control over the bike and only hanging on to the bars with the clutch and throttle for control. So I stay too forward and loose traction but feel safe till I stop (sucks!) ... Yep, I gotta get a better technique for this specific move ... I gotta do something where my arms are not stretched out from the bars so much. Currently, I feel like I am getting too much separation from the bike when shifting weight to the rear.

There are 2 ~big step-ups (rocks) going out over the top to the left side in the grass ...These are gonna get a bounce to get the front started over ...

I like that 'ride the rear' idea .. Easy to remember and say on the trail ...

I hear ya ... Speaking as an old guy on the couch, I can't wait to get there :) ... Maybe Sunday morning I can spend some time there...
    Centerline likes this.
  13. Centerline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD Fat Bob, Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
    Watching, reading soaking up some nuggets of knowledge
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    There's knowledge and then there is applying that knowledge in real time on the trail or track ... The latter part is not so easy for some... Even at this slower speed on this small climb, today I was still have issues doing the weight movement again ... Between all the other things happenings at the very moment, that move did not get executed to a high enough degree I feel.

Rode over here Sunday morning and only had time to make 3 passes before I had to cut-out and find the other riders before they hit the trails ...

You can see the graders have been right to the bottom of the hill and stopped ... They'll need a small dozer or more likely, a backhoe, to fix that hill at the bottom where the washes are waist deep ...

Better speed certainly helped at the bottom but I don't think I had the weight rearward enough ... It's just so easy to forget in the moment ... Did manage to hold the outside line about the entire way ... Good pass to build off of ....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltx3BmSVp3g

--

Second pass ... Not alot of improvement ... Speed ok again but just forgot both times to make a conscious-effort to ride-the-rear :( ... and it got a little squirrelly towards the top due to traction loss I'm thinking...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMm38wi70Rc

--

Third pass and just more squirrelly stuff on the top side ... I was trying to ride the beat-out and easiest line on the far right side ... All the clawing over the top was just bad but it worked ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoGyDGhdq88
  15. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    (2x) 2013 TE310R's & 2014 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs & 1 Yamaha
    I watch these videos and wish I was there! It looks like your wrestling with the all important traction issue. One question....what psi are you running in the back? I see that hill and say 6 psi in my back tire will roll me up without chewing up the knobbies. I had a chance to ride with Jarvis at the Academy in West Virginia a few weeks ago and saw him rule the hillclimbs...his secret weapon of course is a Goldentyre and believe it or not with only 3 1/2 psi. I use to run 9 psi in my rear, but after that weekend with him, I rule my humble hillclimbs with only 5-6 psi. Just got some Tubliss kits for my next tire change and that should turn me into spiderman. Try running at lower psi and you will spin less. Of course, if you are doing that already then ignore this! I wanna see you go up that hill without spinning!l
    Centerline likes this.
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You or someone out here posted some stuff on that Jarvis riding school and that sort of got me pointed at trying to improve my skills on this type of riding .... Watching those guys ride with so much control and traction is just beyond ...

I'll have to check the PSI ... I'm guessing it is ~15 psi.... I'll ween it on down some for next attempt ... I hope to get out there later this week and spend several hrs there,....

No wheel spin is what I'm looking for! ... I'll settle for keeping enough traction that I can at least hold a straight line and not end up clawing up it like I'm riding a bucking bronco ....
    Centerline likes this.
  17. Centerline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD Fat Bob, Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
    Lots of tips , tricks, techniques around here. Good place and referrals to soak up knowledge and experience
  18. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    (2x) 2013 TE310R's & 2014 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs & 1 Yamaha
    I ride fast over very rocky trails and have only 11 psi front and 6 psi rear. My knobbies last a long time because they grip like glue. Every single drop in psi will increase your traction enormously! Here's a video of me on my Yamaha WR250R with stock dualsport tires set at lower psi's clawing my way through rocks and uphills...

View: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203927945171650&l=7688905107288409884
    Centerline likes this.
  19. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Just keep dropping pressure till you pinch flat or dent your rims. Then add back a couple of psi ;-)
    Centerline and airrider like this.
  20. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sounds like Santa Barbara hard-core talk to me ... :_)

Hope to get over there tomorrow and check conditions ... Been raining here but that place is 6 miles or so inland so maybe it was spared ....