1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

ITC heavy springs

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bengt Husky, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

IMG_2464.JPG IMG_2463.JPG I think I need heavier springs on the rear shocks or a crash diet...?
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    are they absolutely banging to the stops with the clip on the highest position?
  3. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

ITC have a wire of 8.5 diameter if I remember.
    A spring maker can makes you easily 9 or 10 mm diam wire.
  4. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Michel. I have 9mm I think I need at least 10mm or a crash diet...:eek:
  5. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    There are new replacement shocks that use two springs like a lot of other bikes in this section. It is Ohlins isn't it? Would those springs fit? I have one set up with two springs, it seems they had one long spring origionally on the itc. Higher spring constant will go hand in hand with more rebound damping. There is quite a disconnect in the weights (of riders) posted in various threads on here and the pictures of athletes in the owners manual.
    firecrackerkid likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I'm 300# and the stronger preload always worked for me. On the '83 twin pillars.

We need a closer look your upper spring set is closed up?

Did you adjust or check the static sag with you on it?
  8. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    The smaller spring of a two spring setup is the softer spring, it is supposed to be coil bind under heavy compression like landing from a jump in his pictures, when the smaller spring coil binds then it transitions to the heavier main spring. If it is the stock spring for the ITC though, it is not a two spring setup, it is a single progressively wound spring, but the softer section of the progressively wound spring is supposed to coil bind also. The ITCs were all undersprung stock and relied too much on the ITC bottoming valving, but I believe Ohlins has several heavier springs still available for them.
  9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    most riders in OZ have gone for a yellow 2 sproing set up and all wax lyrical on its performance... I cant afford em yet:(
  10. darren7878 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    79 CR390 and 84 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    81 Maico, 79 Kawasaki, 88 Honda
    He has the heaviest option ohlins ITC springs on the bike ;)

Needs to test with more preload :rolleyes:

Come on Steve (Bengt Husky) get it sorted
  11. firecrackerkid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390 OR, 84 250WR, 83 175WR
    I got the yellow ones brand new and had shocks serviced. Not stiff enough, have to run preload at max. Doesn't bottom often but that is not the way to do it. If someone researches having custom ones made I am in for a pair as long as they are not made of gold.
  12. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I'll ask my good friend Craig Hayes what he uses, he is easily 350lbs and fast.
  13. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

I checked the free sag last night and that is 25mm (1 Inch) I am going to (short term) set the free sag to zero by moving the clips down. I'm also going to fit some bump rubbers to add an additional bit of space. The ITC's don't have the bump rubbers as they have internal cartridges. I found I have smashed a new DC plastic seat base as the rear tyre has contacted badly with the rear mudguard on the huge landings off the big jumps at the Ken Hall Track (UK).

Long term i'm going to look at getting some custom 330mm long progressive springs made and lastly go on the cabbage diet....I may not lose any weight, but any one close to my backside on the track will feel the full force of the gas emmitting from it ...:lol:
  14. motojason Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 430 CR, 83 250 CR, 82 430 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    KX500, KX250, KX125, FE570, TMEN 300
    There are several heavier rate ITC springs available from Ohlins, they are all yellow. All the new Ohlins springs look similar, so just having a yellow set does not mean you have the correct spring rate. Craig at Club Husky just rebuilt my ITCs with new progressive Ohlins springs, he was very knowledgeable about the ITC shocks and I would recommend talking to him. My new springs have the model numbers printed on them, for reference: Ohlins #00180-40 (260lb rider).
    At 300# I'd guess you would need #00180-42 / 00180-44 if, available. The ITCs do have bump rubbers stock, these are also still available from Ohlins. ITC cartridges can be modified for more damping, which you will need with the heavier spring rate.
    arbortodd likes this.
  15. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    There are 8,5mm & 9mm diameter springs for the twin pillars.

At the way I'm dropping weight I should be 250# by spring. The bikes will be happy, happy.
    I was 390# last springtime.

I lost 60# once riding a husqvarna cr 390 4 to 5 times a week in 3 months.
  16. darren7878 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    79 CR390 and 84 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    81 Maico, 79 Kawasaki, 88 Honda
    Stev

steve has the same springs as you ... Maybe his claimed 'fighting' weight of 230 lbs is just a figment of his imagination !!!
  17. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

must be the weight of the kit I wear....
  18. motojason Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 430 CR, 83 250 CR, 82 430 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    KX500, KX250, KX125, FE570, TMEN 300
    The reference weight/rate is based on the info Craig told me. I have 00180-38 springs on my bike, I'm 210 and he said they were good for 220 (this is rider weight, no gear). The caveat is the style of track: go up a spring rate for tracks with large, steep faced SX-style doubles/tables-that is, if you plan on jumping them. Natural terrain MX tracks are good with the suggested base rate. "...individual results may vary, consult you doctor".