interesting results on the dyno - sm610

Discussion in '610/630' started by MotAd, Dec 12, 2011.

1. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    took my bike down to get dyno'd today. thought it best after fitting the full leo vince system and doing the lambda sensor plug. wanted to know how the fueling was since i heard the lambda sensor runs it lean and fitting the plug richens it up. it's a 2008 fuel injected sm610.

was a tad disappointing to be honest. i've been led to believe they come as about 56bhp stock so was expecting between that and 60 after the mods. it came out as 46! much lower than i thought. they have dyno'd 2 other huskies there, both the same as mine and they have full systems and power commaders on them. they put out 48bhp so nothing wrong with mine. unless there's some misinterpretation of hp and bhp a few sites on the net have their facts wrong!

another surprise was the bike was running lean all the way through the rev range. there's a big spike at 2.5 til 3.5k rpm too. i'm really surprised to hear this, no airbox mods done, stock filter. all that's changed is the exhaust system and lambda sensor plug. i wonder if my sensor plug isn't doing anything to the ecu as is supposed. but then i guess i'd have a display warning on the dash? maybe this 'race mode' is just a myth!

now seriously considering fitting a carb to it instead of the FI if possible and how much it'd cost. will be interesting to hear what the carbed 610's are truly outputting as it might be the best way to gain hp. either that or selling it. they reckon they've had a ktm 640 lc4 putting out 60hp at the rear wheel. that eclipses the husqvarna :censored:
  2. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

For what its worth my TE630 was running lean also when fitted with a Leo Vince single and the power up kit which removes the 02 sensor and adds the resistor for fuel mapping change. A JD Tuner solved that problem easily which may be available for the 610. As for the results,, a dyno is nice for tuning but beyond that they all read differently.
  3. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    yeah i think a jd tuner is available for the 610. we don't get them as standard over here so would have to get it shipped over. would be interesting to see a dyno chart of a bike with one on.

sure dynos read different but 10bhp less than quoted in the press!? maybe husqvarna's factory dyno needs calibrating! need to track the leaflet that came with my exhaust down as that has a supposed dyno chart from a 610 versus the old exhaust. can't remember what the numbers were though
  4. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    The press release may be quoting hp at the crank not the rear wheel.
    twolane and WHITEROCKET5.9 like this.
  5. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    they must have been but i've read this on many different sites so looks like a misquote from the source perhaps :confused:
  6. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

There are 100s of variables with a dyno. I operated a dyno-mite dyno. You can change the settings to output literally any numbers you want. Dyno's are a tool for comparing pre and post mod hp, comparing to like bikes in the same region, and ensuring fueling is correct. HP numbers are essentially bullshit.

But if you want your husky to make 60whp just stop by the shop I used to work at an pay me 100 bux, I'll get you a 60whp printout to put on your wall.
    drrags likes this.
  7. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    fair enough what a dyno is for. i got mine dyno'd at a reputable race tuners so i believe their machine to be a good standard to go by. i'd also expect a manufacturer to have a reliable set up and give reliable information about their machines. fair enough there be a bit of variation but 10bhp out?? plus the 640 ktm claim more-a-less the same as husky (56bhp) so my place getting one to 60 after tuning sounds about right.

i'm just off to tell the motorcycling world their hp numbers are bullshit as the way some people quote em, you think they wouldn't know :D
    WHITEROCKET5.9 likes this.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I bet the JD tuner would add more power. Added a ton to my already great running 511. All these huskys run lean even powered up.
  9. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    dunno how much they differ to power commanders but apparently 2/3bhp tops. be interesting to see some others results...
  10. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

People think of horsepower numbers as WAY too concrete of a number. The ONLY way to get reliable numbers is to compare one machine to another on the same dyno. Different dyno designs produce different numbers. And yes, manufacturers have historically published numbers that are the most appealing to consumers. This means any different number of things - crank vs wheel, showroom floor vs race prepped, optimum altitude/weather, etc. And some just flat out lie (because dynos are easily capable of doing so). My point is don't get hung up on what numbers your bike made. Make sure it is running it's best and make it so you like to ride it. Running the entire band lean will definitely hurt your numbers and more importantly your performance.

There IS NO SUCH THING as a "standard" you can go by. True tuners have their machines setup to focus on the most consistent and reliable settings. They don't care what numbers the machine puts out compared to anything else in the world. Google 'dynomite vs. dynojet' if you want to research dynos more. It is a completely flawed argument to say "x magazine says I should make 1 million hp, why is my bike nowhere close?".
  11. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

Give that engine more air and a JD tuner and you'll see higher numbers for sure.
    Those LC4s with 60hp had more tuning than just an aftermarket exhaust and an opened airbox ;)

Edit: Oh I almost forgot, seems like Husqvarna (and every other manufacturer? dunno..) quotes HP at the crank, since my 630 has 58 HP at the crank. Which is pretty much exactly what it's supposed to have.
  12. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    yep fair enough. i'm almost more disappointed it seems a power commander's gonna get me 2bhp more but gonna need something on there to sort the fueling if i'm gonna keep it.
  13. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    You've gotta remember, it's a supermoto and HP is just a number. As long as I can still ride it smoothly in traffic, cruise at 75mph, pull multiple-gear wheelies, hit 100+, jerk my teeth out in the twisties and leave corners on one wheel, I'll be satisisfied

BTW: I've got opened/packed stock cans, opened airbox and JD tuner. The cans cost me ~$50 for perforated core and packing, the airbox cost me ~$5 in wire mesh and the JD was ~$200
    flynn_ likes this.
  14. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

If I were you I would be much more worried about the fact that your engine is running lean (if tested correctly) and the resulting damage that could result rather than adding a power commander so that your engine will gain 2 more hp.

Instead of dyno racing just line up with the 640 for a few runs up to 100 mph and find out the truth.
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    An LC4 640's true displacement is 625cc. An SM610's true displacement is 576.3cc. I would certainly expect the 640 to put out more hp and be faster. Eric's 640 has the same carb that my 610 has, he has a full titanium Akropovic exhaust, I have an LV slip-on. It is a lot faster than my 610. It has more torque, even though it's a 5-speed with long gearing, but it doesn't have the top speed of the 6-speed 610. We've tested this numerous times over the years :)

Those facts do not diminish my enjoyment one bit. I don't care if the dyno says 48hp or 158hp...the SM610 is still the most fun bike I've ever owned. Yes, I'd go so far to say it's twice as fun as my GSXR 750 that puts out 112hp and collects dust these days. The slip of paper does not matter to me at all.

Did you enjoy riding your SM610 before you found out how "anemic" it was on paper, MotAd? If so, throw the paper away and go for a ride :thumbsup:
    Motosportz likes this.
  16. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, I was thinking the same thing...
    What does it matter what the paper says?
    In the real world, was it (is it) good enough for you or not?
    If not then you can sale it, add a few thousands and get either the new KTM690 with the "claimed" 70HP or the Aprilia 550...

:excuseme:
  17. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

It's the age-old (and true) adage...the best way to get more HP out of your bike is to sell it and buy a different one.
  18. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    thanks for all your replies guys and gals.

i do enjoy riding the husky but truth be told do find it lacks a little power. it's pretty nippy but i'm not quite getting what i thought i'd get before i bought a supermoto. you're totally right, dynos are academic but with that hp output and the gain to be expected from a pcV left me feeling a little flat. although i've now slept on it and may go back to get the pcV fitted this week. it's totally right it needs to be running at the correct fueling, and i'm sure i will see some improvement in the bikes performance with this. top speed is not important to me so i will then play with the sprockets and see where that gets me. then i guess i will finally make up my mind!

it's true to say that you only really know where a path will lead once you have walked down it! it's just a shame it seems with motorcycles that these paths cost so much damn money!
  19. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    forgot to say that one of the most important things to come out of this is that simply fitting an o2 resistor plug to your bike will not richen the mixture up by much, if at all. definitely a good idea to get it checked to make sure you are not doing any long term damage.
  20. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

I really think after changing your sprocket, opening the airbox and adding a JD or PCV you'll be happier with your bike. Those things have to pass emissions somehow, so they're pretty choked at first (well the 610 not as much as the 630). So open it up and it will rip :thumbsup:

And I really wonder about those 60HP LC4s.. I ride in a supermoto club and most of those bikes are orange. Only the 690 is faster than my 630, the 625/660s are not. And all of em got aftermarket pipes... :thinking: