1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Interesting NOS Acerbis front fender????

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 1Tuff500XC, Sep 19, 2010.

1. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, I wasn't specifically looking, but as is so often the case, that's when stuff pops up. I spotted an NOS Acerbis front fender, and was able to get my hands on it. Initially, I was just looking at the sellers pics to make sure it was the right shape/type/style for my year range of bike. Rather quickly I noted the first thing I found interesting, which was that the rear fender slots for air flow are not opened up. As well, on the under side, unlike the original Husky Acerbis fenders I have which have all the optional extension rivet locations pre-dimpled for ease of drilling. This NOS fender only has two on each leading underside edge dimpled. So there's two things that got my attention. Then, the instruction sheet that came with it, is 90% focused on adding the fender extensions, and even installing some kind of insert that was apparently available or may have been, to block off the air flow slots. Perhaps it's simply one of the last of this style fender that was made, and they were cutting corners and leaving it to the owner to open up the air flow slots, and mark the other hole locations for drilling to install the extension rivets. Or, maybe it originally had the extensions and fender brace with it in the bag too. I dunno. Interesting though, and I consider it perfect for being a fender for cooler wet weather riding, where the slots not being opened is a non issue for engine cooling and only keeps a little more of the wet stuff off the bike. Will be putting my best NOS appearing fender brace on it, and best restored fender extensions front and rear. Or,.......... sealing it in a glass case and putting a spotlight on it in the center of a room lol. Vintage part, and oldschool artwork to my eyes.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Anyone have any insight into the differences from the OE Husqvarna fenders I have. Curious if this was meant to be a wet weather fender, or simply one of the last of the over the counter ones, or???? Nothin special :notworthy:

:doh:
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I really wish there was a reliable definition for nos. New old stock as in stock like origionally came on the machine or a part which superceded that part number in the manufacturers inventory. Nos means just something which is unused and may be aftermarket to way too many people.

That just looks to me like a white acerbes fender I ordered at any bike shop and picked up a week later and scrpaed the acerbes blue off with a knife.

fran
  3. Drew Smith Husqvarna
    AA Class

I used the Nost fenders alot liked them and liked the fender extension. I used them on Honda's and Suzuki's.
  4. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

To me, NOS has and always will mean just what it truely stands for, which is just that, New Old Stock. I see it used for a whole lot of other things these days, which I don't understand, other than being a ploy to sell something.

Interesting input, I thought the shape of this one would have been exclusive to what was used on the Husky's and KTM's. Minus the rear vents not being opened up (but they are there on the underside if you want to open them up), and the graphics. Bummer, I felt like it was a good score. Guess I still do, since it's more ideal for a mud fender for my bike, and it looks a whole lot better than the reproduction stuff.

So I wonder when these stopped being available at any old bike shop???? Few weeks ago, or a little further back.
  5. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Any idea what Nost means???? Yeah, I dig this one alot. Wow, never seen them on anything but old Husky's or KTM's, possibly a Suzuki now that I think about it. I love the quality and strong defined lines they have. Seem like well made plastics to me.

I'll be curious on the extensions, to see just how much I notice them being there. Or if it's more of a look, than function thing. Love the look, so win win either way for me.
  6. Drew Smith Husqvarna
    AA Class

Don't know what Nost means just a popular replacement fender early - late 90's, I think ?
  7. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ahh, OK, so not nearly as rare an item as I thought then. I'd guessed they were not available new, since perhaps the early to mid 90's. Thought forsure she was a rare animal. Oh well, I still love it, guess that's all that matters, and it's a perfect match shape wise for the original part. First one I've seen for sale in several years, atleast that I noted. Never spotted one with the packaging stuff still along for the ride too.

Thanks for any and all input, regardless. I'm here to learn, and naturally help when I can too. Since I'm a newb to Husky's though, so far it seems to mostly be learning lol.
  8. hedhunter9 Husqvarna
    C Class

Seems like we saw them in early 84-85 ?
    Thought it was named for a German Rider ?
    But could be wrong.

Bob Bean

ISDE Italy 86
    ISDE Poland 87
    ISDE Germany 89
  9. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Named for a German rider huh, that's interesting. I've been wondering for a long time.

I really am happy to have scored it, having not seen another one, and with the air slots not opened up.

More than qualifies as NOS in my bike. Every since being into early 70's musclecars back in the mid 1980's, I've gone by the same qualifications on NOS as all the muscle mags did then. Which was simply any part that is no longer available new, from the manufacturer. That is NOS. The second the manufacturer stops making brand new ones, all inventory in distributors hands, immediately becomes NOS. Cuzz it just became old, as in no longer made.

Love the input on it, I keep finding out new things about the history of these, as others see it.
  10. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    Acerbis make NOST front and rear fenders , all my 80's Husky xc's/cr's have 'em. still available from Parts Unlimited as far as I know. I bought one for my 78 MC5 400 KTM last spring.
  11. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    Hi 1Tuff500XC

Just to compare this is my front mudguard which I fitted to my rebuilt 500CR.

I know this is an original part as I bought it back in 86!! it was still in the wrapper waiting to be used....

Stu

Attached Files:

12. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Still curious what the NOST part means, but yes, would be correct type for those bikes. And I believe Parts Unlimited to be the best single source for NOS front fenders, as they seem to have the biggest quantity on hand. Other sources only randomly pop up for single fenders, from my observations. Probably some others that have some in inventory out there, just not coming to my mind at the moment.
  13. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the pics Stu. Wow, that is real nice. I love the Acerbis graphis/logo on that one. Best I've seen, and first time I've spotted that graphics style. Fantastic looking fender. Gives me something to shoot for, as I'd still like to have a new original one like that. Especially with that graphics name style. Super nice, thanks for the pics, really appreciate it.
  14. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    Tuff, maybe it stand for NOSTALGIC??? who knows??? Acerbis has been making this fender since the mid 80's.
  15. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

NOST was Acerbis' first ever plastic product. It was called NOSt from day 1 so nostalgic would probably not be correct. It was designed to be a universal front fender. Could be a shortened version of "Nostro" or "Nostra" meaning our. Simply put...is a fender masculine or feminine and as a first every product from the Italian company....could simpley be a shortened name for "our fender". Just guessing.
  16. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hmm, well, I guess if it came down to it I could simply put in an email to Acerbis CS. I did that a few months back regarding inquiring to see if they still had any of the mud extensions for this type fender on hand. Nope, long since out of production was the reply back.
  17. enduro250z Husqvarna
    AA Class

Acerbis stopped putting the vents in the NOST model front fender fore OEM and Aftermarket applications in about the early 90's. if you want the same shape fender as the Acerbis NOST WITH vents then check out the UFO plastics Vintage line at MD racing products UK or directly at the UFO Italy site or even on http://www.ktmklassiker.at

UFO used to make the same fender as the Acerbis back in the day and have recently re-introduced some of their vintage line of products.

http://www.ufoplast.com/en/product-details/vintage-plastics/ME08006
    http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/products/front-fender-8006/

Acerbis used to sell a clip on vent cover for the vented fenders that you could open and close the vents when you liked.

You can still buy the front extension mud flap from Cemoto Italy. Cemoto also made a copy of the Acerbis NOST fender. Their mud flap extensions fit the Acerbis fender as i have done it.

http://www.cemoto.it/articolo.php?id=69

part number is 2311

[IMG]

Best and easiest way to get one is to order it through KTM Klassiker in Austria. They sell worldwide and offer excellent service

Acerbis Factory in Italy dont have any stock of the front extensions left as i bought all their old stock 5 years ago.

I am pretty sure i still have some white Acerbis 8400 extensions that fit the rear end of the Acerbis NOST fender (will also fit the UFO copy fender)

[IMG]
  18. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks much for sounding in enduro250z, really appreciate it.

There is reference and a small rough pic of the vent cover in my Acerbis fender paperwork. Neat idea, and feature.

I'll check out your provided links, as I may need some fender extensions. I have all the Acerbis ones, but not a full set in one color, and varied conditions.

So I may be after another Acerbis front fender rear extension, in blue color.

As well, I may be after another rear fender extension in blue.

While I'm at it, I may just go ahead and grab a new front extension in blue so they all match in color. My goal is all blue extensions, on the white Acerbis fenders.

Thanks again, great info.

What color are the Acerbis front fender rear extensions you might have????

Any source on the replacement plastic rivets?
  19. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great links Wow, neat plastic...........
  20. enduro250z Husqvarna
    AA Class

Acerbis also made another vented from fender that was wider than the NOST. It was called the BAJA. I have got green, white and red front enxtensions for these.

I also have an extension for the Acerbis NOST rear MX fender which is a edging piece that attaches around the edge of the rear fender and adds a bit over 25mm in width and length from memory. Ive got all the Acerbis parts numbers and catalogs that show all these extensions.

Best thing is to PM me what your after and i will look what i have.

I should have the following still but would have to check stock.

#8300 – short vented front extension – red, green, yellow

[IMG]

#8250 (Acerbis) & 2311 (Cemoto), they are the same. Long front extension
    I ONLY HAVE Green in Acerbis - dont ask for blue or white because i have none
    I do have Black in Cemoto (pretty sure i have blue in Cemoto too)

[IMG]

#8400 – rear extension for front mudguard - red and white (possibly have a blue but it would take some arm twisting for me to sell it if i have one, would possibly swap for some Ohlins shock parts im after - see 'wanted' ads on here)

[IMG]

#8460 - Extension for Acerbis NOST rear fender. Will also fit the Cemoto MX rear fender which is the same shape as the Acerbis - I only have these in blue
    [IMG]

#8019 - Acerbis extension for BAJA front fender - White, green and i also have one or 2 red

[IMG]

Photos of Acerbis Baja front fender. This fender was available in the mid 1980's aswell.

[IMG]

[IMG]

This is the Acerbis #8450 short rear extension for the NOST front fender
    I DONT HAVE ANY OF THESE, just showing you what was available

[IMG]