1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Installing TC449 Megabomb on the SMR

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by ascribner, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ascribner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Daytona 675, 2009 KTM 200SX
    Will someone please help me figure out which OEM parts I need to mount the TC header on the SMR?

I am also contemplating cutting the OEM header and welding the flange to the megabomb.
  2. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  3. ascribner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
  4. ascribner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, for $158, I will pass. That is almost the price of the whole megabomb for not much added benefit. I would spend about $50 max on the parts, and that is pushing it. Bandsaw + welder + 20 minutes = done.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    To keep costs low on the TE's, Husqvarna employed the bolt on method. But after taking the exhaust off a few times, I understood the value of spring-on exhaust, not to mention the expansion and contraction of a header that glows bright red.
    ascribner likes this.
  6. ascribner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, but I ride my bike like a panzy. I doubt my exhaust will ever we warm to the touch LOL. Fine fine, let me scope around for parts, but I am not spending $160, I can tell you that much.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Those are retail prices. Call Bills & Halls. Source the springs elsewhere, what I did. The graphite gasket was copper for me. They are on top of the red stool to the left.

[IMG]
  8. ascribner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:

Thanks. I saw your pic already ;-). I have about 20 springs in varying lengths, so I do not need those. I do not plan for a quiet insert either, I am in Texas and wear earplugs when I ride. I emailed Jeff at Hall's for the following parts.

1 - 8000 H5995 Gasket
    1 - 8000 H5992 Flange
    1 - 8000 H5994 Sleeve

Is that longer part with the screen the H5994? If so, do I really need that or can I get away with only order the flange, building my own gasket and using some of the many springs I have in a box? If I only have to order a flange, then game on!
  9. burnham Husqvarna
    AA Class

Have any of you guys had any luck finding a heat shield for the Megabomb header? All of my pants have burn holes.
    ascribner likes this.
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I believe P3 makes one and FMF has one. You can wrap the header as well, but you shouldn't wrap the expansion chamber itself because it is this surface area that allows gasses to cool and contract.
  11. ascribner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I will have one by the end of the weekend :-P. I am making my own out of carbon fiber though. And it also requires you weld on two extra O2 sensor bungs as I am using those as the mounting points for the heat shield.
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    why do you need O2 sensor bungs?
  13. ascribner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    For some threads to mechanically fasten the heat shield. It is so much easier and cheaper to buy O2 bungs and weld them on as opposed to cutting SS rod stock, drilling, tapping and then welding. I will have two of the welded before I could even be done cutting and drilling (not even tapping) just one mount point.
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  15. ascribner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    BTW, I just ordered the parts LMAO! I only want to fabricate what I cannot buy. Looking at cutting and welding, by the time I finished modifying the header, an hour would have easily passed. I will just work the extra hour or so to pay for the parts.
  16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    That is going to be a nice system. In the end, your extra efforts and that bomb header will pay off. The additional back pressure not only increases torque down low at low rpm's, it also seemingly curves the amount of flame outs that occur with low back pressure silencers. I'm glad you were able to get one too, because FMF has ceased all production on the TC449 megabomb header.
  17. ascribner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have the PCV and AutoTune being shipped. Hopefully I will have all by this weekend. Now I just have to find a top class TIG welder. That FMF is welded so nice, i am not going to destroy the cosmetics with my poor attempts at welding on it.
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The pcv and autotune is the best choice for tuning to your custom exhaust system. You will be suprised to see how much more power is delivered from your system with the new tuning.
  19. Keenan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    I have purchased a titanium FMF megabomb and a titanium 4.1 and mounting kit for my 511 SMR but What size springs do i need as one appears like it needs to be longer than the other? thanks!