1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Installing a radiator fan 2005 TE450

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by gandalf, Jun 10, 2009.

1. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

My cousin's husband wants to install a fan on his 2005 TE450 and was thinking he'd try a computer fan. I'm trying to see if we have one at work that would work and was wondering if there's anything I needed to look for in terms of tech specs? Also, does anyone happen to know the rough dimensions it should be? If I was home, I'd take a look at the one on my 250. And lastly, does anyone know if there is a fan kit available for that bike? I am assuming it will need to run off a switch.
  2. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

I did a little write up on a KTM some time ago:
    http://64.25.14.42

On/Off switch or a thermo switch in the radiator or coolant pipes, as shown in my KTM.

100 or 80 mm wide x 32 mm deep fan, 70 CFM or higher. SPAL makes a REALLY nice fan for about $35 that is brilliant. Get the PUSH fan and mount it on the front of the radiator- no room behind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPAL-4-Paddle-Blade-Push-12V-Fan-Motorcycle-ATV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1171Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2c4f84334fQQitemZ190312624975QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
  3. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Will a computer fan do since he might be able to get one for free?

And, since I have a fan on the back of mine, am I wrong to assume he'll have room behind his? On the front may be tough due to the radiator guards/braces(I realize they are contributing to the heat, but it's south jersey and the woods are tight).

And since mine is on the back, am I right that mine pulls air through the radiator?

Also, thanks for the info:thumbsup:
  4. Beerfix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '05 TE-450
    Most (all?)of the stock fans I've seen on Huskys are mounted on the rear of the right hand rad. Can anyone confirm that these are "puller" fans? On my street bikes I always dread the fan coming on and blowing hot air at me at a stoplight, or in traffic. (all have been pullers, mounted on the rear). I'm thinking that a "pusher", mounted on the back of the rad may be ideal for me on my TE in that the only time I really need it is in the really tight stuff going too slow to get airflow.

Why not push from the rear of the radiator? Anyone?
  5. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

Yes they are pull fans.

Because even at a crawl you negate all of the fans action. Lets assume one radiator has the area of 1 sq foot. At 5 mph you are going 440 feet in one minute (5 x 5280 / 60). You are pushing against at best 130 CFM if you buy the gonzo fan whose area is probably 1/4 of a sq ft.. Net result = you are reducing the airflow over the radiator at the fan site. At 1.4 mph you are at stasis with the fan (zero movement of air at the fan site). Your scenario would only work at no forward velocity at the fan site. The fan will approximate a 5 mph forward motion over its foot print if you use the 130 CFM SPAL is the correct orientation.
  6. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

Ive got an '05 so it has no fan and a hose right in the spot you describe, but it never boils either. On my KTM I used a Radio Shack 12VDC fan rated at 72 CFM with zero head pressure. In the real world there is an immediate loss right at the fan as the radiator presents a pumping loss to pull air around/thru. On the up side it was all it need to NOT boil- even in MOAB in the summer on slow stuff with lots of clutch fanning.
  7. HuskyMax Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a fan bracket for an 07 and I think it will fit an 05. If you want it is yours. It mounts on the right side behind the radiator.
  8. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the info.:thumbsup: Your 05 has a hose on the right side behind the radiator? I don't think his does.

That's a very nice offer.:applause: I'll check with him today to see if he's already found something and PM you back a little later.:cheers:
  9. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

I am mistaken about the hose, its a decomp cable. :doh:
  10. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

^^^ Ah, that makes sense;-)