Indicators no go

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Rickyme, May 9, 2017.

1. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650, WR300 both 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    Just rding home from work and the indicators dont light at all but the light on the dash flashes - at a much faster flash rate.
    I see from a previous post that the flasher may be integrated with the instrument cluster which could be a huge problem
    any ideas out there?
  2. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Yes the flasher function is in the dash rather than a conventional external flasher relay, many machines are built this way, the faster flash rate in the dash tells you the dash has detected your operation of the indicator switch but that there is no load to the indicators, ie the wiring to the indicators is open circuit or globes are blown. The increased flash rate of the dash lamp under fault conditions is part of some of the regulations in various countries
    PaulC likes this.
  3. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    Thanks Wayne does that indicate the dash is not at fault as the flasher light on the dash works?
  4. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Not really, it indicates the switch inputs work, the dash processor is detecting operation and the firmware routine is working but the output IC's to the indicators could have failed. These IC's are usually well protected internally from short circuits etc so I would expect it is more likely an external wiring fault

The problem is I have not had a Terra/Strada/Nuda dash on the test bench or high enough resolution pic's to determine the actual IC's used in these dash assemblies as I did for the pre 2010 BMW 650GS dash assemblies to enable owners to do repairs on them. I now know the main processor and ODO storage EEPROM info courtesy of a thread over at Nudaforums, an owner there has done some fine work in resolving an EEPROM corruption causing an EWS error problem but they dont quite understand a few elements of dash/EWS operation or the ICs on the pcb
  5. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    OK Ill check the wiring and see how we go, globes seem to be ok
    Thanks Wayne
  6. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    If your suss on your multi pin connectors, I can recommend Deoxit gold. from jaycar or wes components
    IMG_3330.JPG
    this is gold and works
    mag00 likes this.
  7. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    Na theres nothing i can see
    where to take it for repair I wonder?
  8. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Just FYI Wayne & I played with my bike recently by fitting some LED indicators I had taken off another bike. I wanted to test whether I would need a special relay to run them when we realized that the flasher function was done by the dash. LED's from a newer model BMW are plug & play.
    I can't remember if the flasher flashed quickly when an indicator was diconnected, but I'm a bit retarded and wayne is a geriatric.
  9. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

Was this still happenning after you turned the bike off and on again? I had a problem recently on one of my bikes (sorry i can't remember if it was the TR650 or my Super Tenere) where the indicators stopped working completely. I turned the key off and on again and it all went back to normal again.
  10. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Have you confirmed that the globes/bulbs are OK?
    Not on my Terra, but I have had similar issues and sworn I had good bulbs, but in the end found a bad one.
    PaulC likes this.
  11. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    Ill try some new bulbs, they look ok but you never know
    cheers for help
  12. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    No globes were ok, I reckon ill get an auto sparky to have a look and if need be bypass the dash and install an old school flasher
  13. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    After riding without indicators for a few weeks and saving for a new dash I had another look at a previous post and found a blown fuse it seems the dash is actually fused over 2 7.5 amp fuses

Looking at the fuse block while standing on the right side of the bike (front of bike pointing to your right, back of bike to the left) the blinker fuse is the red 7.5A that's in the 3rd row of the 2nd column :rolleyes:
    Very happy little Terra lover today!!
    Matt Crawley and nev.. like this.
  14. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Good to hear you found the solution. Always pays to pull all the fuses and check them.
  15. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    Indicators stopped working again and not the fuse this time.
    Ive found a creative auto electrician who diagnosed dash as having a problem so he designed a circuit, bunch of wires and relays to bypass the dash flasher.
    No more problems with flashers, took him an hour
    He thinks he can probably bypass the EWS in which case Ill get ride of the dash altogether and install a trail tech
    duibhceK likes this.