1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

IMS Tank - actual usable volume

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Fast1, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

edit... 08 TE510 Power-up, with 14/47 gearing ** (there have been reports that some have run out with fuel still remaining in the tank)

1st fill today... 90 miles and the low fuel light came on. filled at 93 miles with 2.75 gallons.

Mix of single track, double track, fireroad, sand atv trail and 5 miles of pavement.

2nd fill today still pending..

low fuel light came on at 89 miles and ran completely out of gas at 97 miles.. Seemed odd that I only had 8 miles of reserve. I could not visually see any fuel in the tank nor could I hear any when shaking the bike back and forth. Had to borrow ~ 5 ounces of fuel from a rider to get the remaining 2 miles back. Will fill tomorrow and post volumne neccesary to completely fill the tank..

edit #2 Checked the tank today and found fuel still remaining in it even though the bike would not fire after shaking it like a rattle can of paint.
    Wasn't able to refuel the bike due to some maintenance work that I was not able to finish up.

This might indicate that your remaining reserve may now be different with the IMS tank in comparison to the stock tank.

Any others have real life test results?
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Fantastic information! Thanks!
  3. krasht Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mileage on IMS Tank

2008 TE510, PU Kit, 15T CS sprocket, 45T rear sprocket, 98 mi. on trip meter, still running, no warning light on yet, about one and a half inches of fuel visible, took 2.6 Gal. to fill tank. About 15 miles of slow, steep deeply rutted single track, (fell over on uneven steep hill climbs numerous times, broken clutch lever and rear turn signal), another 10 miles on fairly easy dirt track, the rest was on typical 2 lane So Cal paved roads.
  4. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tonight I checked the tank and fuel was still in the bottom of each wing although my bike would not start due to lack of fuel. I added 5 ounces to get it running and proceeded to a service station.

I did have enough to ride 1.5 miles to the service station and was then able to add 2.97 gallons. The fuel cap seemed to leak slightly during the first few miles of riding after re-fueling.

My thought is that the positioning of the fuel pump and shape of the IMS tank may have reduced the reserve capacity to .25 gallon.
  5. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    08 TE450 stock gearing, power up kit light came on at 108 miles, ran another 6 to fill. pumped in 2.675 to safe zone at top of flat section on tank. (I don't like the sloshing of gas when topped all the way up. This was all road riding at 45 and 65 mph.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    08 TXC450 (carb) with IMS 3 gal tank, 70 miles and it nearly dry in tight technical single track (lots of 1-3 gear riding).
  7. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Easy pavement riding this weekend with some spirited freeway (25 miles) mixed in.

112 miles and the low fuel light came on

filled at 115 miles with 2.7 gallons

My assumption is that you have about .3 gl of reserve. At spirited riding pace getting maybe 30 MPG that provides you 9 miles of reserve. Exactly what I experienced in my first post.
  8. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

08 TE510 power up kit, 12/47 gearing. Typical southern California riding, lots of deep sand several thousand feet of elevation changes, some rocky hills ,ect. including about 20 miles of connecting pavement. 87 miles on the tank, maybe enough left for 5 or 10 more miles. I am happy with this range for the tough conditions and low gearing.:) Ken