Ignition Coil Reisitance Question

Discussion in '610/630' started by Shea, Mar 25, 2023.

1. Shea Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    Hi all,

Doing some spring maintenance to my '08 610 up here in Canada. Part of that is testing the ignition system. The bike starts and runs seemingly without any obvious issues, spark seems healthy. However testing primary winding resistance shows 0 ohms (should be 4.5 +- 15%)

Its not a multimeter problem, as I tested it on a couple of electronic resistors I have and its accurate, and it shows 1 for open circuit and jumps straight to 0 when I make contact on the points.

I am just unsure, as the bike runs, and to my knowledge, 0 resistance means faulty coil, which means I should be having issues right? Or should I go by "If it aint broke dont fix it" and throw it back on?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    0 ohms means a short circuit. Are you measuring between the correct parts ? It should be between the power-in of the coil and the steel plate for the primary, and between the spark-plug-cable and the steel plate for the secondary ...

Some multi meters do have issues measuring very low resistances, but if the coil is making spark then the primary could is not shorted...