If you loose your brake light...

Discussion in 'TR650' started by HARDER1, Dec 24, 2012.

1. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    I noticed last night on my Terra that the running light was really bright and i had no brake light. WTF? After a quick exam of the basics, i crawled under to look for the actuator switch. We all know the brake lever design is suspect to start with. There is a 1" tab On the lever that presses a little tab switch and keeps it closed when not pressing the brake. This tab is flimsy! I had a rock ding on the curve of the lever and that was enough to bend the tab and allow the brake light to be on full time. Easy fix, but something to be aware of. I've been holding out for a beefier skid plate to be developed, so riding offroad is like cookin' bacon naked...
    Brake 1.JPG

brake 2.JPG
    PaulC, HuskyDude, nev.. and 2 others like this.
  2. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Is that a little scuffing on the case too that we see there? Ya...you need a skid plate ASAP! Thanks for the tip.:)

Cookin bacon naked!:D
  3. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    Hahah nah, that was just a mud/rain/wind streak on the engine. At first glance I thought the same thing!
  4. socalrob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW GSA
    Same thing happened today on the Strada after a dirt road excursion. Bent the tab back per the OP's post, and we have a working brake light again!

Thanks.
    HARDER1 likes this.
  5. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Cookin bacon naked!:lol:
    Ya... that will put a smile on my face today.
  6. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

Just noticed my brake light was stuck on too. Found this thread and sure enough that little tab had been bent down, causing it to leave the tab switch open. Most likely caused by a blow to the underside of the foot brake. Easily fixed by bending the tab with pliers - there are advantages to having a bike made of stamped mild steel!
  7. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
  8. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    "For a permanent fix on a Strada... (the Terra is a straight 5 min job) . . ."

What he said, although I confess it did take ME more than 5 minutes. But it was inexpensive, as straightforward as can be, and eliminated that fail point.
    DeLewis likes this.