Ice riding

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by R. Stephen, Dec 9, 2013.

1. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fun session on the Husky out ice riding over the past few weeks.
    Centerline, Theo, steadydirt and 5 others like this.
  2. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

3. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

4. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    ^^ And THAT'S the difference between AMA tires and Canadian MF1's. Nice pics where/what lake are you guys riding?
    Centerline likes this.
  5. DErZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    511 SMR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha R1 5VY
    Great skills!
  6. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

My AMA tires aren't too bad. 521451_10200598298546099_2075932671_n.jpg
    Centerline and MotoMarc36 like this.
  7. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Centerline likes this.
  8. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Save it, this is one of my pro testers trying to fall off of my bike and could not do it. These tires were tested again last sunday, [rear knobby] with an even faster pro and he wants my tires and has sold at least 8 tires since for me to his buddies upstate NY. I'm not trying to hawk tires here trust me as I can't keep up with the demand as it is. Yes that video is of me winning and that its the norm with way less lean angle on AMA screws, I'm 60 yrs old btw. You go pretty good yourself. I'd love to bring my riders to the the Steel Shoe this year in my Fun Mover, I'd love to hang with you guys.
  9. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I froze my butt off at the Steel Shoe last year but its a fun race. The new breed of AMAs that are a knobby tire and AMA studs are taking over the Steel Shoe. They are nice but I'm not a huge racer on ice. THis is just cross training for supermoto for me. So much fun though!!

THis pic is from the Steel Shoe last year just to stay warm. Hand warmers taped to each finger. Photo Aug 20, 10 16 20 AM.jpg
    Centerline, K5PL5 and FabOneUp like this.
  10. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

I build knobby rears for myself and friends but generally don't sell them as they rip themselves apart pretty fast as they work so good. The Kendas now are so soft that I'm not selling any this year unless I baked em from last year behind the woodstove. The best rear I ever built was a 10 yr old Carlisle my buddy found in his garage. Would not spin. Let my pro rider test it and it worked so good he road it till it fell apart chasing a very fast road racer from the NY area. Damn kid. LOL.
    Centerline and FabOneUp like this.
  11. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    This looks like the only negative to endurance ice racing. Our ice racing here in Colorado is on a small oval track. You do a few laps and then go back to the pits and warm up after your race. There is only a couple lakes here big enough to do what you guys are doing, but I think it would tick off the ice fisherman!
  12. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Nice Steve! That was my next question, can those tires live for 4-5 hours of tourture.... Most knobbies don't last the whole 3 hours. We always err on durability and go with a Kenda. The screws are evolving, we'll see how the new larger-shank ones do in knobies.

If you guys make the trip, we'll find some roofs to house you all in! It's a very unique event that involves a lot of strategy in addition to going fast.

My riding partner would love to talk tires with you. He's crazy about it, making this big dr. jekyl jig.....I've tried it and made some OK stuff but I don't have the patience or the wrists for it! RMI injury city!
  13. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

There's a new knobby from Canada that will take an 1 1/2" screw without a liner but it is very heavy. My friend who builds the best tires here in the east has informed me of these but I haven't been able to get him on the phone. I can make a knobby last on a 250 for four hours no problem, a 450 maybe 15 minutes. LOL on hard ice. We smoke alot of people here w/my knobbies as sometimes it's 45 degrees race day and my tires rule as they dig thru the soft ice down to the hard stuff. I'm very popular on warm race days. He, he. Doesn't get cold here in the east. Now your talking, I'd love to talk with your buddy about tires. Byron Molleauso [sp] got me on the phone a few years ago and we talked for hours about how I build my tires. Somehow he heard about me and I was proud to talk to him. Pickett helps out my pro rider at the indoor pro ice races as the kid has big talent, a crowd favorite, and huge balls. Yea. I know about the patience thing and wrist pain and after 35 yrs of building tires it is actually a pleasure for me to build ice tires as I am a plumber and there isn't much tougher a trade at my age working on my knees all day kills me. Building an ice tire next to the wood stove with a Coors beats carrying a 400 lb boiler down stairs every time.
    Centerline likes this.
  14. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well built Canadian tires like mine will last a full season on a 50hp bike. John Rosine and Marcel Fournier build the best Canadians out there right now. Jeff Fredette builds some of the best AMAs including the new Knobby ones. John has also built some of the Knobby AMAs for the 3hr last year. The sport is in a transitional point right now because of the new Canadian style studs and new tires. Either you run Canadian or wish you were. The race regulations will need to change soon to adopt these new tires. A lot of the old school guys don't like them and are quick to point fingers and call them "cheater tires" but that's just because they are left in the dust. I like riding on the ice and I like traction, any day I want to ride regardless of a little snow on the lake. That's why I ride John Rosine built Canadians. Anyone in WI ever want to rip let me know. We ride almost every weekend.
  15. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

First ride of the year two weeks ago. DSC_0008 (Medium).JPG
    Centerline, K5PL5 and FabOneUp like this.
  16. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    A lot of guys here lower there bikes 3 or 4 inches to lower the center of gravity. You guys go substantially faster around the corners with the open runs so a higher center of gravity doesn't seem to matter. Is it just a myth and maybe something someone up here started and everyone just followed?:excuseme: Tightening up the clickers is something they also do up here along with about 45 to 50 psi in the tires. The theory is to keep the tires as planted to the ice as possible. I understand the high tire psi, but I am not sure I understand the stiffer suspension. I would think the tire would stay more planted if your suspension is moving with the terrain just like when you ride the dirt.
  17. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Its all foreign to me, would love to have a crack at ice riding but just another way to make a prat of myself no doubt. What I would love to do is have a ride on the snow mobile conversion for dirt bikes. That looks just so amazing.
  18. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I run 20-25 psi and never lower the suspension with tires that hook up well. I'm already dragging the frame around the corners, pegs are folded up all the way and my knee is in my chest. I wish I could raise the bike.
  19. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ya, it's crazy in this photo you are practically sitting on the side of your bike and thanks to the red pin stripe on your ride pants we can clearly see your leg position up to your chest. Super awesome photo. Steve Kanya's pro tester seems to have his leg farther forward with a little different approach to a tighter corner. I can't wait to get out there and give it a go! Looks like it will be 1 1/2 weeks before I can get on the ice. It's killin me to just wonder what it is like when the bike is all set up in the garage, studded (AMA Freddete tires) and ready to go.:banana:

Centerline and LandofMotards like this.
  20. jimmyc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 TXC449, 09 SM610, WR250, plated
    Other Motorcycles:
    18YZ250X GS1200 busa duc900SS GG