1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc I kick and kick and kick

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by no e-button, Nov 13, 2011.

1. no e-button Husqvarna

I am the proud owner of a new 2011 WR300. On my first ride I had to drop the clip on the slide pin because it was running too lean and it was really hard to start…Well, now it runs great, but still is a pain in % &$#* to start..I am taking major ribbing from my KTM buddies with their fancy “e-start buttons”
    I did notice that when I held the throttle wide open, it will fire..but not after kicking the crap out of it..I love the bike, but this is a problem..Does anyone have a magic bullet for this?
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

On my 2-strokes while cold I put the choke on, twist the throttle a couple of times, and then give it a little throttle while kicking them. After they are warm I still give them a little throttle while kicking them; dont know that its necessary but it always works. I find them easier to start then 4-strokes.
  3. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Make sure to dial in your pilot jet size. Choke and no throttle cold, lot's of throttle and no choke warm. It helps to bring the piston up to TDC also.
  4. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    tdc tdc tdc
    master where tdc is. Then give it a good hard kick. Its the total magic ticket for starting this bike
    Clete likes this.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Plus one on that. I rode the 2012 WR300:love: at the press day and it was a sort of hard starting bike, but not so bad that I did not get the hang of it.:cool:
  6. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Get the right pilot/air screw adj. go to TDC top of the kick stroke and get up over the front as best you can (it's easy for me since I'm 6'6") and kick down and back like you mean it. I had a hard time when I first got my WR250 but now it's usually 1st kick.
  7. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

LOL I take it they dont start like the Cr125; my bad.
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    It's a different animal compared to my GasGas EC200. The Husky will make me tear up if I'm not wearing my MX boots... I've never compression tested it but it feels like I'm kicking over 200psi. My GasGas is so easy I'm starting to think it needs a head mod.
  9. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Twisting the throttle a couple times does absolutly nothing. The carb doesn't have an accellerator pump.

Sounds to me like too rich a pilot jet. Check your float level also. Sounds like it may be too high.
    windsurf and lankydoug like this.
  10. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    My 300 is a bear to start sometimes, too. First ride with the stock carb and jetting it died a couple of times and just wouldn't start. After both of us cold down a bit I got it started, but I was not happy about it.

Not being a fan of Mikuni carbs I switched to a Keihin and got it dialed in. Since then it starts much better, but it's still hrad and way harder than my WR250 was.

Starting in gear is close to impossible, if you kill it and try to pull the clutch in and kick it. If I do it setting up for a dead engine start it will, but I have to get it right.

But, as these guys have said, it takes pratice and learning the bike. You have to do it right and give it verything you got. Unless you're a really big man, a half hearted kick just won't get it.
  11. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

These bikes come with terrible jetting. Get that sorted out, and it will start WAY easier. I did the PWK swap also. Made a huge difference in starting and tune-ability.
  12. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    PWK with proper jetting was a big help as was gong through and ensuring all the electrical connections were solid. My spark plug lead was not solidly connected to the boot and that caused me lots of grief, especially hard starting.
  13. hogwackr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    18 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 HD Street Glide
    It will also get better once you get used to it....Mine took some time. Now she usually fires first or second kick. There is a science to it. Don't give up hope.....
  14. no e-button Husqvarna

WoW..thanks for all of the response's guy's!...The dealer did tell me the jetting on these bikes needs to be changed. I thought I had it with just adjusting the needle, but apparently not. I know it came with a bag of spare jets. Does anyone know if I use these? And what size? (east coast sea level) or do I need to go after market. Also, not to sound like a rookie, but what is a PWK?
  15. hogwackr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    18 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 HD Street Glide
    I'm around 500 feet and run the "gay" needle in the middle clip.(The one in the kit) 40 pilot and a 430 main. It may not be perfect for your use but should be close. The PWK is a different carb.
  16. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    There are a lot of 300 riders that posted their jetting on the 2 stroke data base thread. You should check it out, just make sure you are looking at Mikuni specs.
  17. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    I was never able to start mine until I changed the carb to pwk

Lean over the bars a little and aim for the axle, if you kick it like a man first or second kick every time
  18. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
  19. Joedints Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300 13 WR125 81 WR430 82 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZR7-S
    I have only ridden my new 11 WR300 for about an hour or so, dealer rejetted before I picked it up, seems to run ok right now, still has 32:1 mixture (Belray S2), will be changing over to better oil and 40 or 50:1 after another longer ride this weekend. Rode a friends bike with the PWK, seems to have more snap off the throttle for sure. Starting has not been to bad, 4 or 5 kicks, I still have not got it down 100% as of yet. But I did notice that if I lean more forward and kick towards the rear it does fire up quicker.....
  20. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey, Joe, good to see you in the Cafe.

I don't have much insight for you regarding starting your new bike, except to say that lots of folks have gotten the Mikuni (stock) carb to work okay, but that the Kehin PWK carb is a great upgrade that's easier to tune and more consistent running with changes in weather, temperature and altitude.

Short of buying a new carb, I would start with float level (they seem to come too high) and try different pilot jets. I know that Big Money Bill had similar problems, and he had to lean out his jetting significantly. You might want to give him a call.

See you on the trail!

Dave