1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

I got lucky a pig in a poke buy,,,,,,,,,

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I belong to one of those vintage bike for sale sights. I was invited. I seen a early 80's big bore empty case and a complete big bore bottom end. The seller wasn't sure if the size of either engine. I bought a pig in a poke we would say. Take a chance and go with my gut feeling. The empty case is a 430/500 case. The complete bottom end looks like a 430. There's grime and looks like paint over the numbers. I'm hoping the 430 is a cr. The crank feels tight with no play. More parts for my supply and builds. I'm not sure how long the parts supply for huskys will last but I'm investing when I can afford it. Big bore stuff is beginning to get hard to find sometimes it comes in spurts if we wait. I think I'm doing the right thing. I need some support from you guys and gals?

The light bulb lights up when the seller isn't sure about what he has,,,,, plus I seen the crankcase that's split had the single Wall.

I'm going to setup shelves and label all the parts as to year and what it is. This way if I pass on my son can know what it is when he sells it all.
    Steve F and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  2. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and take a chance. I always had enough parts to fix anything that could be wrong with it anyway. On my first go around with huskys I did runout with tranny parts for the late 70's huskys. But I just finished up getting them running.

I purchased the late 70's clutch cover that had a poked through oil level check hole but it had all the starter and shifter stuff. I found another clutch cover that had nothing but the cover is good. I been lucky that way all my life. If your going to buy parts get the parts that comes with the most parts like the clutch covers. At $29 or $39 these clutch covers are a deal.

We have gold guys and gals as I'm seeing a big increase in husky engines. Some are $399 to $599? Unfortunately it makes stripping whole bikes for parts worth more. I'm holding out my bikes will stay complete. Of course seeing the cost of parts going up it's probably driving up the cost of the bikes too.
  3. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Pics or it didn't happen.
  4. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    I, too, have noticed that parts are going up... but whole bikes aren't selling.
  5. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Too many people thinking that they can make a quick buck by breaking it :( It's only original once !
  6. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Well I have several people waiting to have them build one for them. Prices are way up in regards
    to purchase prices

My problem is putting them together. Some sets of parts do not go just don't go together. Cases are having to be repaired. Such as inserts, loose bearing bores and cracks. Extra hours and disappointed timelines for me and them

Going to have to delay as need today may be new shift springs, possible different shift roller just to make this bike
    work the way I want it. (Note I will not sell a bike if don't like how it works) Another bike had an odd ignition problem I could not solve and a few other folks either on a 80 390

We are at the end of the newer parts chain.
  7. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I have a design for a case insert design that should provide more support in the cases to minimize the egging of the right side. I am helping teach a vocational shop teacher more about Mastercam so in return I have full use of the shop whenever I need it. I just had to repair a right centercase for a 1981 CR250. I had to have a shop bore to clean the bore for the crank bearing so I could heat/freeze shrink install a sleeve to be bored inline with the left case. I would have prefer to do the boring myself because I know the importance of following the procedure I laid out for them.
    justintendo likes this.
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I been buying cases some with complete bottom ends. The frames I purchased will match the engine number too. I'm planning it that way. They should look orginal with some of them. I have two sets of extrernal resivoir Olin shocks plus a set of 83 500cr shocks. The only thing I'd like to have is a front disc brake for stopping.
  9. moto_surfer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430XC/ Silver Streak/TE300
    I have broke up a couple of huskies over the last couple years. I won't argue that it's only original once, it is a shame that there's one less husky(or other) in the world but I can't nor want to restore every good deal I run across either. When I part out a bike I like to think that I am helping others keep their bikes going or finish their restoration. The moderate financial gains fron parting out a bike are usually well earned after finding a candidate, picking it up, stripping, cleaning, advertising, communicating and shipping. It's not exactly an easy money making scheme in the end. Sometimes you do ok sometimes you just have lots of parts laying around.... just my $0.02
  10. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

but not everything being parted out was bought as such
    I have quite a few that were ridden by myself or my brothers
    being the keeper of the "fleet" I have decided not all can or should be restored
    and like an "organ donor" it helps others to live
    huskyJames, ajcmbrown and moto_surfer like this.
  11. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I dont like to see a good running bike parted out but you have to remember, for every bike parted out maybe 2-3-4-5 more stay running with its parts.
    2premo, Bigbill and moto_surfer like this.
  12. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S

One of your "Donor" parts was crucial to reviving my 88 250, I agree that not all should be restored and logically, there just wouldn't be enough parts to allow it without paying exorbitant prices for them.
    Tony.
    2premo and Bigbill like this.
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I took a chance a while back on a clutch basket. I forgot about it. Looked at it today the starter gear is wiped out but the basket looks like brand newer. Again another pig in a poke for $30. My son just filled five portable shelving units with parts.