I did something stupid...

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by ChiefBigCope, May 25, 2016.

1. ChiefBigCope Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 R6
    [Warning: Wall of Text]

So I have a 2013/2014 TE 449 with about 1300 miles and I bought it brand new. So I live in Minnesota where my bike gets parked during the winter season and about a month ago is when the street sweepers in my area finally came by and got all of the sand off the roads. Well my roommates and I went out for a ride the next day and it happened to be unseasonably hot. We were almost home when I thought my bike shut off. I am used to it flaming out from now and then so I wasn't too worried and just started it back up and kept going. Then it happened again, gave it throttle, bogged down and then died again. Started it back up(looking back now I shouldn't have, but this bike is known for it's flame outs) and kept going. Than it died for a third time, I was going faster this time, so I just tried to bump start it but dropping the clutch in like 2 and the back wheel locked up and skidded. That is when I new I was f*cked. Trailered it home and drained out the oil and there was barely any in there. Now this was a brand new bike 1.5 years ago and has never dripped. So it must of burned up the oil. So now I have to fix it, has anyone seized on of these engines? Im hoping a top end rebuild will do most but I don't know. Also I have never found those kind of parts online, I am not sure if ZipTy sells them, but if anyone has a website that would be great too!

TL;DR Seized my engine, what do I need to get to fix it? (cylinder heads, piston, oil rings, etc)

Thanks and sorry for the wall of text
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Call ZipTy racing , I think you discovered the worst case scenario reason they created the oil return system assembly for the 449/511 engine.
    Kam1 likes this.
  3. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 TE 510cc husky 4 stroke
    2013/14 expensive bike! seizing the engine is pretty much the worst thing you can really do to an engine... Your crank, rods, and pretty much everything else that required lubrication has the potential of being totally screwed. So to make sure it's not totally seized. You should try pouring in some oil through the spark plug hole (don't worry you're gonna probably rebuild it and clean it anyway.). let it sit for a while and really soak up that oil. Don't use penetrating oils as it screws up gaskets and oil seals and just makes everything worse. I guess after two days or whatever try turning the flywheel. May need some force. I'm not sure how dirt bike engine are compared to boat engines, But some boat engine would be run without oil and would seize up. Sometimes we can get them turning a little to make a rebuild simpler, sometimes no. This is just to see how far gone it really is. I guess just oil up everything. don't thought if everything is like burned out and wore to kill. i'm not an expert it's just a suggestion.
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Are you looking to do the work yourself, or have it rebuilt?
  5. ChiefBigCope Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 R6
    Thanks guys, and yeah, I will most likely do the work myself. I have to finish my R6 streetfighter build before I get to the Husky unfortunately!
  6. Zante Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 TE 510cc husky 4 stroke
    good luck bud lol. Expensive bikes! Sucks it locked up. Just soak it before you work on your R6 that way everything is loose when you go to rebuild it. Hopefully things wont be as bad. :)