Huz vs Husky

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Baritone, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Baritone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several
    I've just been "studying" the new Berg 570 and am really impressed with what they've done with the bike. Granted it's pricey and putting a bigger tank on it would be a challenge. I've been considering a 510 TE to replace my 610 just to have something lighter and more responsive since I don't spend much time on the pavement.

So the question of the collective: Having the choice between the two...and throwing out the price part of the decision...which would y'all choose and why?

Lookin' forward to some inlightened responses...:D

Doug
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Location? Need factory license plate?

California has a red/green sticker thing happening too which may be a factor. A lot of really nice bikes can't be used much of the year because of that.
  3. Baritone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several

Georgia! Yep...
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Well if you need a factory license plate, and the Berg does not come with one... why would you buy a Berg?
  5. Baritone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several
    Thought they were titled...or titleable. Also thought a d/s kit was available for it...no?
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I have no idea... there was some guy from Georgia that kept asking about the TEs cause he wanted the factory license plate. I'm really sorry I brought up the issue at all. There is a TON of info on plating dirt bikes over on TT in various states in the dual sport forum - that would probably be a much better place to go for that type if info. If this thread gets into a bunch of detail on how to plate a bike in GA I'll move it to the Diner so the bots don't archive it.

Regarding the which bike question only - the 2006 450 berg that I rode had a bunch of power, was lighter than my 2006 TE250, and the gears were spaced perfectly for my taste - wider spaced than the TE250 but not 'gappy'. Air filter access was good, nice bike.

Personally I would let the bugs get worked out of the 570 for a year before buying one - but I really don't need or want the kind of power the 570 is cranking out. Have you seen the latest Motocrossdigital curves for that bike?
    Instructions on how to get that info here:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1496

EDIT - page 53 of that mag, just under 50hp... hmmm, well compared to the other bikes they were testing it is a lot. It will be good when it is compared to more closely matched bikes as opposed to 2st and smaller displacement motors. :lol:
  7. Riksha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Importer/dealer?
  8. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    To my knowledge the HUS dealer in Norcross does not have a GA DMVS Dealer# or able to tag/title bikes as a dealer. Further the HUS are not 50 state legal to my knowledge, but that's second hand info. The HUS's may come with a non-restricted MSO which means there is no "OFFROAD ONLY" specific wording on the MSO, however without a dealer to title the bike in GA, you'll be left in a quandry until a dealer signs off on the transfer of the MSO to customer and runs it through the tag office for a street title.

One of my buddies just bought a TE450 a month or two back and has been really enjoying it. Until now he has been a complete Orange fan through and through. He rode the new FE450 and his TE450 back to back last Friday, half way through the ride he took his TE450 back and was faster everywhere. While the new FE's are a great bike, they are still not the best bike for everyone and a bit more expensive to boot!

There's a real nice 08 TE510 sitting on the showroom floor here in ATL that I'm sure will be $2k ish less then an FE570 and comes with a tag from the dealer. :cheers:
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    As big a husky fan as I am I was pretty floored with both the 09 450 and 570 bergs. Amazing bikes IMHO. People are raving about them for a reason. As far as a plate, you can get one and many have but your rolling the dice on getting one and keeping it. Snag a ride on one if you can and make up your own mind.
  10. Baritone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several
    The point of the original post was regarding things other than "tagging". However, a guy just took dely (don't remember where) and he mentioned the factory options he had installed on it...an Akrapovic can and a dual sport kit. Up where I am, being "absolutely legal" is not much of an issue since there are so few LEOS so a certain amount of legality risk can be taken.

All that aside...the Hus technology looks great but caveat emptor, I guess. The 09's will be a BETA test but they sure look revolutionary in concept!:applause:
  11. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    They are not California Green Sticker legal, much less street legal. Husaberg dealers in CA were pretty put out, when after be made to jump through hoops of fire, to keep their dealerships, when KTM took distribution back...... KTM didn't bother to get them CARB certfied!

Trail Rider Mag tested the 450 and said it's an ISDE winner out of the box. That said.... their opinion was, it would need a lot of massaging to be a Northeast tight woods bike (suspension has to ride lower in the stroke, smaller offset on triple clamps and some other changes). TR rides what I ride, so I trust their call.
  12. gem Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm pretty much a 2 stroke guy. The 4 strokes I have owned are old school air cooled and therefore, simply cannot be compared with their modern brethren. However, I have swapped bikes with many friends and have never been swayed by the modern 4 stroke bikes. I have appreciated some of their finer points but never enough to consider switching.

The '09 Husaberg 450 that I rode is the nicest 4 stroke I have ever been on. I was impressed.

I'm not saying it is enough better than any other brand to justify its price tag but it is definitely worthy of consideration if it fits your requirements.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm guessing a 450 or 570 is not the hot ticket in those conditions of any manufacturer. That said I rode the 570 back to back with an 08 KTM 200 (which I liked) and was a good bit faster on the 570 even through the tight woods loop we were doing. For modern 4 strokes I found the 450 berg about as good as it gets in the tight stuff. Rumor is there will be a 300-350 next year and that will be fantastic IMHO.

- The front end sticks better than ANY bike i have ever ridden
    - the EFI on both these bikes (450/570 berg) was an outstanding highlight. You could meter the throttle perfectly and the throttle was light and EZ to use.
    - Stock suspension was VERY good which surprised me.
    - Lots of people rode it that day and everyone commented on how EZ it was to ride / feel right at home instantly.

As you can see i really liked the new bergs.
  14. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

What is the US msrp for the Berg's? CF resident Berg dealer Scottyr is selling the 450 for $9600 CDN which is slightly higher than a comparable KTM.
  15. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

MSRP is $9298 US for the 450.

I really like my 09 FE450. It is "all that". The EFI is flawless and the bikes handles like a 250F on 'roids.

That being said, I am dieing to try out an 09 Husky 450 back to back with the Berg.
  16. Baritone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several

The 570 in US$ is just short of 10K!:eek: