1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

HUSQVARNA1 CR500

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 2premo, Oct 29, 2016.

1. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    has anyone seen this on a VIN before

IMG_7917.JPG
  2. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    the engine is odd too

IMG_7916.JPG
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    there was a post a few months ago explaining the husky 1 vins...craft disease says I cant remember what it was...search vin
  4. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    oldbikedude likes this.
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i have a few frames that i know for sure were imported straight to ohio/pa..they also have the husqvarna1 on the frame..
  6. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Not unique to Cali bikes. Was done to all when due to Cali going to a longer Vin. Easy way for Husky to Re-vin with short time due to a USA requirement.

Engine case with no number almost always indicates a replaced part. replacement left engine case did not have the model number not the last of the production serial number on it.

Not Barrret Jackson so no one cares about "matching numbers"
    everfree and justintendo like this.
  7. brian bush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '93 WXC360, 2018 TC150
    Other Motorcycles:
    A few KTMs and Husabergs.
    2premo, not to hijack your thread, but I trust your judgement and wonder if you'd mind sharing your thoughts on the air cooled 500's. I'm interested in getting an old dual shock 500. I understand that the air cooled engines were made better than the water cooled 500's (I had an '85 500 XC many years ago and it vibrated so badly that my hands went numb in no time when riding it).. Do your 500's vibrate to that extreme? I'm also curious about the XC vs the WR. I understand the XC is more stable at speed and that interests me since I do much of my riding in open hilly terrain. I believe the WR may have had a shorter wheelbase and slight quicker steering? Perhaps the difference isn't significant? Any thoughts or input on the 500's in general would be valued and appreciated!
  8. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    not an expert on the air cooled, but I do know the air cooled was changed to the liquid cooled using
    1 a different head and barrel, 2 using a side case with a water pump, 3 adding radiators
    everything else was the same, gears clutch, crank, cases,, save for the clutch cover all the same, the crank has a drive for the water pump on the LC engines
    the vibration is just inherent to an unbalanced engine, always check the crank trueness, and there are people that balance them
    these engines were COMPETITION based, they are not fuzzy, they were meant to dominate the field, vibration wasn't a key point
    now to the chassis, again not knowing anything more tham my experience and reading
    the WR and XC share most points of the frame and the major differences that I know of are
    WR used shorter shocks and forks, a full loop sub frame, came with lighting
    now the stability both use the same steering geometry, these bikes don't mind speed and don't need stabilizers, they share a swing arm
    I have had a few of mine over 100 and can tell you they track straight and true
  9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    ol mate has a wr 500 84 model and it is a fabulous bike to ride. very nice engine, extremely usable and rider friendly.
    I rode an 83 xc years ago and I still feel scarred from trying to hang on to the bloody thing. it shook like a bastard, brutal power really needed watching or you were swapping ends.

id go wr and if you feel its unstable at speed, fit cr fork lowers, damper rods and swing arm. pull the spacers out of the shox and your xc suspended..
  10. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    if you have a swedish husqvarna that feels unstable at speed..there is something wrong with suspension tuning or a broken/worn part..
    everfree, oldbikedude and stormer254 like this.
  11. brian bush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '93 WXC360, 2018 TC150
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm looking at an '84 WR. I thought I had wanted an XC but I think they're similar enough that ill be plenty happy with the shorter suspended WR..
  12. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    don't forget when your 24 y/o your respect of the throttle is vague
    Darrel78 likes this.
  13. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Brian, looking at your avatar you have both a KTM and Husky 360, how do they compare in a long term as in ownership preference
    4 brothers ride, 2 of us on Husky 2 on KTM, I have ridden the KTM 360 a short time and it's nice, but a whole lot more high end power
    not that the power is bad
    so you have owned them please inform me, by the way you can buy parts and plastic for the KTM but not the Husky goes a long way
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    in my opinion, the lower wr handles much better in the woods and tighter stuff. im a lil over 6 foot tall but love the short wr.
  15. brian bush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '93 WXC360, 2018 TC150
    Other Motorcycles:
    2premo, I've chatted with you a few times on ktmtalk. I'm bbqkidd over there. Somehow I messed something up when I created my account here and my handle didn't take..
    I love both 360's but for slightly different reasons. I think my pilot jet is a bit lean on my Husky because it is very hard to start and has a slight low end bog. I bought the Husky this summer and still need to sort that out. At present the KTM 360 has a More low-mid power, or at least the sensation of more because it hits a bit harder being a SX, motocross model. My KTM 360 will wheelie going uphill or downhill at will and is great fun! The Husky's character is a bit smoother, but it's a little off on the low end, I think due to the jetting Issue. The power of the Husky is plentiful on the needle and main jets.
    On handling, I love stability (hence my questions about stability on the 500 xc vs wr) the Husky is my most stable bike at high speeds and I think it turns as well as the KTM. I also love the 6 speeds. The Ohlins shock and Zokes forks on th KTM 360 are my favorite suspenders of all my bikes but the Showas on my Husky are nearly as good for me. The clutches and shifting is excellent on both machines but the Brembo brakes on the KTM are better. KTM 360's are cheap in the used market because they have a reputation of being unjettable. A squish head mod and an aftermarket pipe with the proper stinger size solves the jetting issue. Mine had this done already when I bought it, so it was pretty turn key for me although the kid I bought it from still had the jetting messed up. Simply dropping the needle a few positions made it GAME ON! Ill try and give you a report once I get the netting sorted on the Husky. As background ill list my current bikes here because this sight doesnt provide enough space for all of my bikes. 1987 ktm250mxc, 1989ktm350exc, 1989ktm500mx project bike, 1990 ktm300exc, 1993 husky360wxe, 1996 ktm360sx, 1998 Honda XR400, 2004 KTM300exc. Plus I'm hoping to add a vintage Husky 500 and perhaps a Bultaco 370 Pursang in the future. Ya, I've got the illness!
    oldbikedude likes this.
  16. brian bush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '93 WXC360, 2018 TC150
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hahaha Supersize, wouldn't I love to be 24 again!
  17. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    the 84 has the tighter woods rake c/w the 83. not much but tight 2nd gear tracks are nice and she will tip in to the corners nicely. as stated above, takes little work to convert to xc suspension.
  18. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    do you have the stock pipe on the 360? they are horrendous for power and really heavy double wall.
  19. brian bush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '93 WXC360, 2018 TC150
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have a nice Uptite pipe on the Husky 360 along with an FMF Turbine core that I was able to locate on eBay.. it is a sweet bike, the pilot jet is just off I think. I hope to find time to tinker with it soon!
    justintendo likes this.
  20. brian bush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '93 WXC360, 2018 TC150
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm supposed to pick up the 500WR this weekend if all goes well. I'll report back Monday with what I hope is good news and a new (to me) bike!!
    oldbikedude likes this.